Truly, Madly, Greekly by Mandy Baggot

'Sometimes you don't have to know all the words to make things work.'


Title - Truly, Madly, Greekly
Author - Mandy Baggot
Publication Date - May 22nd 2015
Publisher - Bookouture 
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 331

The blurb

Sun, sea and a sexy stranger - a whole lot of fun just got a lot more complicated. 

Capable, confident and career-driven, Ellen had her dream job and a marriage proposal from boyfriend Ross. Life was good, her future set. 
Until it wasn't and everything fell apart...

Whisked off to the beautiful island of Corfu to plan her sister Lacey's big, fat, Greek wedding, Ellen is hoping some time out will help clear her head and heal her heart. But letting go of her past is not going to be easy.

With Lacey in full on Bridezilla mode, Ellen is soon distracted from her own problems. And when the all-inclusive treats on offer at hotel Blue Vue include one gorgeous, brooding Adonis - Yan - Ellen finds his difficult to resist.

But Ellen isn't looking for love or lust, or anything involving too much ouzo... or is she?

Becca's thoughts 

I'M BACK!*
*and what I mean by this is that I'm back from a gorgeous week-long stay in Corfu, at hotel Blue Vue, courtesy of Mandy Baggot!

I've limboed, I've drank apricot coolers, I've bathed beside the pool beneath a blazing sun, I've looked out across azure blue seas to see the twinkling lights of Albania, I've jumped off rocks, I've lay on the sandy shores, and last but by no means least, I've fallen in love. Quite frankly, I'm exhausted. I should probably include that I haven't actually jetted off to Corfu but instead, I've completely and utterly lost myself to Truly, Madly, Greekly by Mandy Baggot, and it was divine.

Truly, Madly, Greekly is the first novel by Mandy Baggot that I've read and I am seriously, ridiculously impressed. At just a mere few pages into this book, it became obvious that this was an author who knew what she was doing. Everything about Mandy's writing was impeccable, and I'm not using that description here lightly. Mandy's writing flowed so fluidly, so smoothly, and it was a pleasure to read from the very first page right to the very last. From the vivid, clear-as-day descriptions of the Greek setting and the Blue Vue Hotel, to the characters and their fantastically personal dialogue, I lost myself to the perfectly placed words again and again and yes, again. Mandy is a pro at placing her reader right there in the setting alongside her characters. Not only did I feel like I'd stepped into my Kindle to live through this story myself, but now that I'm finished, I miss it. I MISS IT SO FREAKING MUCH, and I feel like I need to beg Mandy for a sequel, because I just know that her beautifully-sculpted characters are going to remain with me for a very long time. Truly believable, madly captivating, and Greekly beautiful!

Mandy's characters within Truly, Madly, Greekly absolutely held me captivated. The reader is introduced to Ellen and her younger sister Lacey. The women are in Corfu for a week to plan Lacey's approaching wedding and to scope out and concrete some of the finer details. What was so fantastic about the plot within the book was that there were clearly secrets hidden beneath the surface for all of the characters concerned, including Lacey. Mandy dropped tantalisingly small hints to these secrets throughout the novel, giving me a teasing taste of things being chaotic below the surface. The fact that I was reading about two sisters worked wonders with me. If you know me at all, then you'll know I'm a BIG family girl at heart, so Ellen and Lacey intrigued me from the get-go. I loved the sisterly bond between them, and it was clear that Ellen was the more responsible one out of the two, perhaps more responsible than it was fair on her to be. For me, this only strengthened how fond I was of the two women. Ellen had this protective air around her whenever it came to Lacey, which definitely echoes how I feel about my own sisters. I love the banter between them both, the playful comments and the childishness of Lacey. It was just gorgeous to be able to sit with them and hear them talk about their lives beside the pool. 

Added to this already heady, exciting holiday atmosphere, were Mandy's characters Yan and Sergei, two of the men who worked in the hotel's animation team, entertaining the guests and hosting all manner of activities, from water aerobics to karaoke. Yan, right from the very beginning, had a hold over me. A very tight, enthralling hold with his hypnotising eyes and Greek God physique. Again, just like Ellen and Lacey, Yan had secrets, too. Secrets that I wanted to dig deeper to find out. What I adored most about Yan was that unlike his friend and co-worker Sergei, who enjoyed flirting with the females during their stay at the Blue Vue Hotel, Yan wasn't like that. Yes, he was incredibly attractive, caught the attention of many a woman, but he'd been burnt in his past and so, he stayed away. Until he laid eyes on Ellen of course, with her nose in her books and her lack of laughter and smiles. GAH! I loved the connection between these two. I loved how his attention was caught, how he'd watch her and try to figure her out. The plot overflowed with secret glances and hidden emotions, and I didn't dare to put this story down. I couldn't bear to be away from the characters for a single second just in case anything new was unearthed. Thankfully, I was there at every new discovery, and not once did I ever tire of it. 

     As much I'd love to say that this is the PERFECT SUMMER READ (which it definitely is, by the way), it is just so much MORE than that! To me, it was two people, haunted by their pasts and only being able to forget and release about those pasts when together. Truly, Madly, Greekly by Mandy Baggot had it all. The dreamy holiday romance, the scorching, sizzling heat of Corfu, the excitement of being away from home, the cocktails and shimmering sea. It was, quite simply, a heavenly concoction potent enough to make you feel like you, too, were sunning it up in Greece. If escapism if what you like, then you'll find it right here. If a devastatingly handsome hero is what pushes your buttons, then you'll find that right here, too. If sun-drenched beaches and too-hot-to-touch chemistry is what you're after this summer, then may I suggest Truly, Madly, Greekly by Mandy Baggot? 

Becca's Books is awarding Truly, Madly, Greekly by Mandy Baggot with FIVE GLORIOUSLY WORTHY CUPCAKES! Like a very alcoholic cocktail, this novel went straight to my head! To finish off my review, I'd just like to say a massive thank you to the wonderful bunch over at Bookouture for providing me with a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.





   

   



3 comments :

  1. Your review brought tears to my eyes, Becca! I'm thrilled you loved Truly Madly Greekly so much and I adored your review! Thank you so much for reading it! I miss gorgeous Yan too!

    Mandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review brought tears to my eyes, Becca! I'm thrilled you loved Truly Madly Greekly so much and I adored your review! Thank you so much for reading it! I miss gorgeous Yan too!

    Mandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently discovered your blog after following you on Twitter and I love it! Its so adorable! This books sounds so cute! Definitely adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete