Wellies and Westies by Cressida McLaughlin

'Curiosity killed the Cat.'



Title - Wellies and Westies
Author - Cressida McLaughlin
Series - Primrose Terrace #1
Publication Date - April 30th 2015
Publisher - Harper
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 98

The blurb

Catherine 'Cat' Palmer realises, too late, that bringing an adorable puppy into work at the local nursery was a bad idea, especially after the ensuing chaos gets her the sack.

Determined to turn a negative into a positive, Cat decides this is the perfect opportunity to get her dog-walking business off the ground with the help of her flatmates, Polly and Joe. After all, Primrose Terrace where she lives, is full of home-alone hounds...

Wellies and Westies is the first part of a serialised novel told in four parts 
- all set in Primrose Terrace.

Becca's thoughts  

So, this was one of the loveliest things EVER!

When Cressida McLaughlin was announced as a brand new HarperCollins author on Twitter, I was utterly thrilled for her. Seeing someone's dream come to life is probably one of the most magical things to witness in the world. You cannot even begin to imagine my elation when news of Cressida's Primrose Terrace series began to spread. If you know me at all, then you'll know that I am a complete lover of pretty book covers. I just adore them. When I saw the covers for each of Cressida's adorable novellas in the Primrose Terrace series, I almost exploded with excitement! Here's a little glimpse of the four of them side-by-side because I LOVE THEM


From the prettiness of spring right the way through to the snowiness of winter, I immediately felt safe in the knowledge that I'd have this series to look forward to throughout the rest of the year, and really, with covers as cute as these, how could anybody in their right mind say no? And the pooches? Well, just... *implodes*

Anywaaaaay, once I'd read the blurb for each of the above novellas, I just couldn't wait to get started. My interest was seriously piqued and I'm pretty sure that I was just a couple of fierce taps away from breaking my laptop when it came to requesting Wellies and Westies on NetGalley. When I received the email from Harper letting me know that I'd been accepted to read, I squealed. What? I know you do it too, so don't even lie!

In Wellies and Westies by the marvellous Cressida McLaughlin, we meet Cat (Catherine Palmer). The author got off to a winning start by having me laugh at just couple of pages into the novella, and this is always a fantastic sign in my eyes. Due to taking a puppy into work with her at the local nursery, Cat is let go from her position and suddenly finds herself jobless. So, with no job, then what else to do other than finally take her dream of building up her dog-walking business and perhaps, make it come true? 

Despite Wellies and Westies being a novella rather than a full length novel, I felt like so much happened within it's 98 pages. Not only does Cat begin to slowly make her dream come to life, with her friends Polly and brooding Joe by her side, but Cat makes some brand new sparkly friends along the way. Attending fancy parties, making new contacts, and stumbling across seriously sexy Mark and his adorable Border Collie Chips, paves Cat's way to success, and I had everything crossed throughout my reading of her journey.

In Wellies and Westies, Cressida's voice speaks loud and clear. The author has such a gorgeously cosy tone to her writing, which invited me into her world of Primrose Terrace after just a few short paragraphs. The descriptions of this charming setting worked wonders with my imagination and I loved learning about Cat's surroundings and of course, Cat herself. Her love for all things dogs, her ambition and drive, her determination to not get down and out about the circumstances, she was just fantastic. I really, really, really cannot WAIT for part two of the series. I felt like things were just getting started in Wellies and Westies, which to me, felt like the perfect way to begin such a promising series!

Becca's Books is awarding Wellies and Westies by Cressida McLaughlin with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! Everything about this was just brilliant, and I cannot tell you how frickin' excited I am for part 2! Bring it on, Cressida, you fabulous author, you! 





   














Post a Comment