The Cherry Tree Cafe by Heidi Swain

'Here's to a bright and happy future at the Cherry Tree Cafe!'


Title - The Cherry Tree Cafe
Author - Heidi Swain
Publisher - Simon & Schuster UK
Publication date - July 16th 2015
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 464

The blurb

Cupcakes, crafting and love at the Cherry Tree Cafe...

Lizzie Dixon's life feels as though it's fallen apart. Instead of the marriage proposal she was hoping for from her boyfriend, she is unceremoniously dumped, and her job is about to go the same way. So, there's only one option: to go back home to the village she grew up in and try to start again.

Her best friend Jemma is delighted Lizzie has come back home. She has just bought a little cafe and needs help in getting it ready for the grand opening. And Lizzie's sewing skills are just what she needs.

With a new venture and a new home, things are looking much brighter for Lizzie. But can she get over her broken heart, and will an old flame reignite a love from long ago...?

For everyone who loves settling down to watch the Great British Bake-Off, the Great British Sewing Bee, or curling up to read Milly Johnson or Jenny Colgan, The Cherry Tree Cafe is a coffee-break treat.

Becca's thoughts

First of all, I'd like to begin my review of The Cherry Tree Cafe by saying a very heartfelt thank you to the absolutely wonderful author Heidi-Jo Swain, and her publishers/editor for providing me with a digital copy to read and review in exchange for a fair and honest review. I'm sure I've said this a million times before but there really isn't anything in this world that beats being sent a copy of a book that you just cannot wait to get your little grabby hands on, so thank you ALL a million!

Dear bookish folk, I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't Heidi's absolutely gorgeous cover AND title which originally drew me to her book. If you know me at all, then you'll know how much of a sucker I am when it comes to pretty covers, and the cover of The Cherry Tree Cafe ticked every-single-box for me. The bunting, the charming tables and chairs, the silhouettes of the birds and the flowers... It just screamed 'romance' and 'delectable treats' right into my face, and who on earth can resist romance and treats?! When Heidi's cover reveal took place, I'm pretty sure my eyeballs moulded into love hearts as I gazed at it lovingly. It's safe to say that once I'd feasted my mind on  Heidi's blurb, I couldn't wait to dive into what sounded like a fabulous story with a heroine whose life really wasn't going the way she'd planned.

As soon as The Cherry Tree Cafe begins, we're thrown in at the deep end, during a pretty devastating moment in poor Lizzie Dixon's life that. It became clear to me immediately that what Lizzie wanted more than anything was for boyfriend Giles to pop the question. Heidi places the reader right there in the restaurant alongside Lizzie and Giles as her dreams of her happy ever after are destroyed. Lizzie decides to return home to Wynbridge, where her best friends and family have remained after she was whisked away to bigger and (supposedly) better things by Giles. Now, back in Wynbridge, Lizzie is staying above The Cherry Tree Cafe and unsure of what move to make next. She has a real flair for crafting, and best-friend Jemma needs some help with her venture, so it's the perfect set-up, right?

The Cherry Tree Cafe is Heidi's debut novel with Simon and Schuster, and I really can't tell you how much I loved it. From beginning to end, I was absolutely rooting for Lizzie, mainly because she'd been let down by such an idiotic man, even if he had been dashingly handsome and flash with the money. The main thing for me was that I cared about Lizzie and where she'd end up. Heidi did such an excellent job of building up Lizzie's past, so much so that she felt real to me, rather than fictional. I knew all about her hopes and dreams, and I think that's what it did. The fact that her hopes with Giles were sliced right down the middle in one fell swoop only made me feel closer to Lizzie, which was why I was so eager to turn the pages and make sure that her story turned out okay in the end. She was such a likeable character, too. The fact that she'd made the wrong decision in Giles highlighted Lizzie's flaws, making her seem all the more normal and genuine.

Heidi's writing was gorgeous within this story, her descriptions and dialogue so effortlessly strung together like the bunting that Lizzie is so fond of! It wasn't clunky, but smooth and allowed my reading of the book to move fluidly along at an easy pace. Heidi's detail when writing was something that caught my attention again and again, whether that be with the food in The Cherry Tree Cafe, or the countless items in the crafting area. I was able to visualise every single little thing in my mind's eye.

The plot within The Cherry Tree Cafe was excellent! So many problems cropped up in Lizzie Dixon's life, including blasts from the pasts and an admirer who isn't all that he seems! Everywhere she turned it seemed something would go a little wonky! But, with her wonderful friends beside her, I was happy to see Lizzie tackle everything with determination. She'd already been taken down once by Giles so she sure as hell wasn't going to let it happen again! 

The Cherry Tree Cafe was a truly terrific read, full of entertaining, colourful characters and a plot that kept me guessing. There was romance, tricky situations and scrumptious cupcakes. All in all, I'm thrilled to report that I will definitely be reading more of Heidi Swain's books in the future. There was something effortlessly enveloping about the world that Heidi created within the pages, and I slipped between there and reality with ease. 

Becca's Books is awarding The Cherry Tree Cafe with five of my gorgeous cupcakes! I really cannot wait to see what Heidi writes next. I see a long & successful writing career ahead!



   

   





3 comments :

  1. Great review! And the book sounds lovely. On my to-be-read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! My first review and the novel is awarded 5 cupcakes! I'm absolutely delighted. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete