The Lie by C.L. Taylor

Your past doesn't have to define your future.


Title - The Lie
Author - C.L. Taylor
Publication Date - April 23rd 2015
Publisher - Avon UK
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 461

The blurb

I know your name's not really Jane Hughes...

Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She's happier than she's ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist.

Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women.

Jane has tried to put her past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won't stop until they've destroyed Jane and everything she loves.

Becca's thoughts

BLIMEY! BLOODY BLIMEY!!!

I finished this book just yesterday. I usually give myself at least a few days after finishing such an epic read to gather my thoughts, but in this instance, there really is no point in doing so. My thoughts, as of right now, are absolutely everywhere. Up the wall, down the stairs, scattered across the slabs in the garden. I mean honestly. My heart is still racing, I'm flexing my fingers and allowing the blood to get back to its usual place, due to my fingers having been wrapped around my Kindle for the past hour or so and gripping hard. My mind is utterly reeling from the circumstances that arose within this novel, from the sheer grotesqueness and horror of what was exposed to me, to the tropically humid location of Nupal where parts of the novel are set. This was, without a doubt, one of the most captivating yet shocking books that I've read in 2015. We talk about escapism when reading fiction, and yes, I was definitely snatched away from my life when my head was burrowed within this disturbing story, but there was also a part of me that wasn't sure I wanted to return each time I took a breather, mainly because it was eerie, incredibly unsettling and downright terrifying. Exactly the sort of book which a book-lover will find ridiculously difficult to turn away from.

From the moment I began reading The Lie, I became intensely aware that something just wasn't right. Something was off-kilter, the scales were wobbling because things weren't adding up, and as soon as I spotted the chapter which was titled as 'Five Years Earlier', I knew that I, as the reader, was in for an incredibly bumpy ride. This switching of tense, back and forth, was thrilling to say the least. I didn't dare blink for fear of missing something monumental happening within the story, something that would take me to yet another level of fear and hesitation in continuing to read, and I will admit that my progression of this novel, although quicker than normal, was halted a fair few times just because I felt like I needed to take a step back to breathe easy. I feel I should mention here that this is the very first novel that I have read by this particular author and I'm thrilled to say that it most certainly will not be the last. C.L. Taylor is incredibly talented at whipping up a twisting, turning and teasing story that I was equally disturbed yet captivated by. The tone of the author's writing was so powerful that everything else around me seemed to be dulled down, faded away, while I continued reading. The author knew exactly what to say, at exactly the right moment, to keep me turning those pages, and already I'm looking forward to reading my next novel by C.L. Taylor, especially if the same intenseness within The Lie makes a repeat appearance.

C.L. Taylor explores some pretty deep themes within The Lie, but the one that stuck out to me most was this exploration of friendship. The author picks apart the bonds within the group of female characters in her novel, laying them bare and exposed to the reader, and it was, as well as being slightly too much to handle, completely fascinating. The reader is introduced to the group of women, four friends who, as the story begins to unravel, quite clearly have cracks in what would first appear to be a healthy, normal friendship. Jane, Al, Daisy and Leanne head off to what you'd probably describe as a retreat, right at the very top of a mountain, secluded by gates and fencing. Within this retreat, yoga, meditation and all manner of things take place, but it isn't long before things take a turn for the worst and the hideous truth behind the retreat slowly creeps to the surface. I was shocked to my very core when events took place that had me slapping a hand to my mouth. What first seemed like a good idea quickly turns into a nightmare, and I was absolutely one hundred percent hooked.

Without giving too much away, this novel by C.L. Taylor is one of a kind, a stand-out book from its genre. I was, as the genre would say, 'psychologically thrilled' to be played and tricked at the hands of this author, and would gladly do it all over again, which I plan to do when I begin the next book by C.L. Taylor on my to-read pile. 

Becca's Books is awarding The Lie by C.L. Taylor with FIVE CUPCAKES! This was such a brilliantly delivered novel, one that I will be talking incessantly about to my non-reader boyfriend. I don't even care though. He needs to understand my love for it.






  


Post a Comment