The Vintage Cinema Club by Jane Linfoot

'Here's to us, here's to The Vintage Cinema Club, and here's to a battle we're going to win...'


Title - The Vintage Cinema Club
Author - Jane Linfoot
Publication Date - May 24th 2015
Publisher - HarperImpulse
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 306

The blurb

Meet The Vintage Cinema Club...

Izzy is a wow at making unwanted things pretty, but with three brothers and her shabby chic furniture business to run she doesn't have time to date. Could a fabulous French proposal change her mind?

Single mum Luce's vintage bridal dresses are exquisite, but there's no way she's ever going to wear one or walk down the aisle for that matter. She's a strictly no romance, one night kind of woman... or so she thinks...

Dida seems to have it all - a chocolate and banana cake to recipe to die for, lovely kids (most of the time!) and a great lifestyle. But what good is a fabulous home, when your marriage has more cracks than a pavlova and your husband is having it off with half of Lithuania?

Three retro fabulous friends, in love with all things vintage, run their dream business from the faded grandeur of a rescued cinema. When that dreams comes under threat, they'll do whatever it takes to save it. 

Becca's thoughts 

First of all, I'd like to thank the fabulous Jane Linfoot and her publishers HarperImpulse for providing me with a digital copy of The Vintage Cinema Club in exchange for a fair and honest review. I always find myself love, love, loving a Jane Linfoot title and so, I couldn't wait to get stuck into Jane's latest. I fell head over heels in love with the absolutely gorgeous cover as soon as I set eyes on it, seeing as I have a bit of a thing for bunting and vintage items in general, and the blurb swayed me even more.

The lasting impression I have from reading Jane Linfoot's previous titles is that she is incredible when it comes to steamy romance, hot tension and pulse-raising passion. There is always a delectable hero, a fabulous and easily likeable heroine, and an exciting story just waiting to unravel for the reader, so I truly hoped that this would continue in The Vintage Cinema Club because I have missed Jane's style so much. I was thrilled when, at a certain point in the plot, it dawned on me that there was going to be the same sizzling chemistry I'd relished in her previous novels, alongside warm, cosy friendships, a crisis and even a secondary romance that definitely had my interest piqued. One thing I love about Jane is that her style and flair continues to seduce me each time I read something new from her and that's something that I will never, ever tire of!

One of the main things I adored about The Vintage Cinema Club was the thing that had brought Jane's characters, Izzy, Dida and Luce, together in the first place, which was The Vintage Cinema Club itself, a business built in the structure of a long-ago closed cinema, and which was now full to the brim with all manner of pretty, 'vintagey' delights. Jane's descriptions of the place had me eager to step inside myself and have a good snoop around at all of the beautiful things on offer. I could imagine the interior slightly dark and rather like a cavern of treasure and it was such a gorgeous foundation to set the friendship between the girls on. It quickly became apparent that The Vintage Cinema Club was not only a business that each of the women loved and worked hard at, but it had also helped each of them in their own personal ways and circumstances too, given them each something that improved their well-being and lives. They, in turn, each brought something unique to the business, Luce with her vintage dresses and Izzy with her grand customer service, and it truly felt like a such a beautiful, happy place to work, until of course, Jane drops a bombshell into the plot and things turn pear-shaped.   

The friendships between Jane's characters were warm and, I felt, incredibly strong, having been alive for such a long time now. The Vintage Cinema Club always brought the women back together after stemming off into their own lives, sort of like a big family, including the other members of staff too. From their closeness and obvious fondness for each other, you'd think that nothing could ever be kept secret between them, wouldn't you? Each woman has to deal with their own personal problems, as well as each others', as the story progresses, and bits and pieces are revealed to the reader, and each of the women throughout, which makes for a very exciting, very enticing storyline! Despite being treated to a slice of each woman's narrative throughout the novel, I felt that Izzy really took centre stage in The Vintage Cinema Club but I didn't mind this at all. With a ridiculously hot hero taking up her time, it's not surprising really! We still, though, managed to garner enough information in regards to Luce and Dida that I didn't at feel as if they took a back step, which was wonderful. Adding to that, the way in which the characters communicated to each other was mixed up too, via text messages and emails to the staff of The Vintage Cinema Club concerning rotas and plans etc. It was all very real and exciting, and I think the whole text/email thing made it just that little bit more believable too, which can never be a bad thing.

As I mentioned above, Jane Linfoot always, always, always manages to get the whole steamy, hot tension between her heroine and hero absolutely spot on. We're introduced to the very masculine and appealing Xander in The Vintage Cinema Club who was every bit the type that would leave you breathy and with a racing heart. Xander added such a sexy tone to the book and this, as well as the aforementioned 'crisis', were two of the main things that kept me turning the pages, not forgetting the rather sneaky secondary romance that is happened under-wraps as the plot progresses and Dida's own personal issues too. There was so much going on, so much to get my teeth into, and by the end of it I felt as if I've been around the world and back, in a good way.

The Vintage Cinema Club by Jane Linfoot had everything that I'd hoped for and more, and I was completely satisfied with how everything had played out by the time I'd finished. The romance, the friendships, and The Vintage Cinema Club itself charmed me entirely, and I already can't wait for Jane Linfoot's next title!

Becca's Books is awarding The Vintage Cinema Club by Jane Linfoot with FIVE SCRUMMY CUPCAKES! If you're a fan of vintage, friends pulling together and hot, hot heroes, then this is definitely one for your shelf (digital or physical!)





  



Post a Comment