Wickham Hall, Hidden Treasures by Cathy Bramley

'Because sometimes magical things happen when you least expect it.'


Title - Wickham Hall, Hidden Treasures
Author - Cathy Bramley
Publication Date - June 25th 2015
Publisher - Transworld
Format - Kindle Edition (Self-purchased)
Pages - 120

The blurb

Holly Swift has just landed the job of her dreams: events co-ordinator at Wickham Hall, the beautiful manor home that sits proudly at the heart of the village where she grew up.

Her first major event is a spring wedding of royal proportions. Holly has every detail covered, so all she has to do is keep calm and carry on...

Easier said than done!

Becca's thoughts

What an absolute triumph, and what a truly delightful beginning to a brand new series from the one and only Cathy Bramley!


Oh, bookish beauts! I really cannot tell you how over the moon I was last night to be delving back into a long-awaited Cathy Bramley title. I was thrilled, I tell you. Absolutely thrilled! Because, since reading Unconditional Love, Ivy Lane and Appleby Farm, it's fair to say that I am completely smitten with this author. The delectably charming worlds that Cathy Bramley so beautifully creates are ones that I wish to live in myself, and the author's engaging, extremely loveable characters never fail to mould themselves a space in my heart. I really, truly could not love Cathy Bramley's books any more if I tried. They are a constant delight and always leave me looking forward to more, and as mentioned above, Wickham Hall, Hidden Treasures was the most gorgeously enveloping way to begin the Wickham Hall series, and despite wanting to read the rest of the series right now, I'm telling myself to calm down because they're going to worth the flippin' wait if Hidden Treasures was anything to go by.

When we first meet Cathy's fabulous new protagonist Holly Swift, she's about to head off to a job interview, but not just any old job interview. Holly Swift is about to head off to a job interview for the job of her bloody dreams! Wickham Hall, the stunning manor home in the village of Wickham where Holly grew up, is on the look-out for an assistant events manager, and if the job description is anything to go by, then Holly believes that she is the perfect fit for the position. Cathy really sold Holly to me within just the first few pages. Just from the internal dialogue, I could tell she was going to be a character that I gelled with immediately. Holly was down to earth, genuine and so warm-hearted, the latter becoming clear when Holly's mother Lucy Swift was introduced to me, complete with her hoarding issues. Cathy highlighted the differences between Holly and her mother, mostly in regards to the way they both liked to live. Holly was meticulous and believed that everything had its place, whereas her mother Lucy had piles of junk heaped everywhere throughout their home Weaver's Cottage. As I imagined it would, the hoarding begins to grate on Holly's nerves as the story progresses. It's not that Holly doesn't love her mother because she truly does, peculiarities included, it's just Holly can see that it's beginning to become a real issue. After reading how Holly reacted to the jumbled interior of her home, I knew, as well as she did, that becoming assistant events manager at the pristine manor home Wickham Hall really was right up her street. As Cathy began to reveal more to me about Holly, I found myself hoping that Holly would be given the job that she so desperately wanted. Not only would she be working in the place she'd adored ever since being a child, but it would give her time away from Weaver's Cottage and the chaos it was coupled with. Holly was loveable, incredibly enthusiastic about the place she loved so much and also a complete heroine in times of trouble, transforming into a one-woman rescuing machine. I adored watching Holly develop throughout the progression of Hidden Treasures, beginning as a faint outline of a character but transforming into a solid woman before I knew it, with her own dreams, fears and hopes. Not only do we meet Holly Swift, of course. In the same fashion of Cathy's previous novels, we are introduced to a whole collection of colourful, unique characters that aid in building up the image of Wickham Hall and the people who spend their time within its gorgeous walls. I was so excited as each new character stepped forward, taking note of their personalities and their positions within the manor home. It quickly became clear also, that each character had their very own little back story to peak my interest even more.

So if the characters weren't enough for me to fall absolutely head over heels in love with, then along comes the absolutely beauuuutiful Wickham Hall, which this whole new series will be based around. I was in awe as I discovered each new room and section of the manor home, lapping up Cathy's picturesque descriptions like an excitable puppy delivering kisses to its owner's face. The sheer grandeur of the home, coupled with the people within, held me captive, and I was delighted to hear about the upcoming seasons that readers have to look forward to with each new part in the Wickham Hall series. Of course, as with any exciting new story, problems crop up that poor Holly Swift has no control over whatsoever, but with her quick-thinking mind and alertness, it's clear to see that she's got everything under control, just as soon as she gets to grips with her sparkly new position as Wickham Hall's assistant events manager.

Becca's Books is awarding Wickham Hall, Hidden Treasures by Cathy Bramley with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! I cannot bloody wait for Part Two to arrive and to see what the lovely Holly Swift gets up to next. In fact, scratch that. I cannot wait for the entirety of this series to be released because I just know that it is going to be superb! Cathy's descriptions, her characters and their own, unique circumstances completely reeled me in, leaving wanting more!



 

    





   







1 comment :

  1. Oh Rebecca Pugh! I love your reviews so much! The image of a puppy licking its owner's face was just too cute! Thanks for the lovely review, honey xxx

    ReplyDelete