A Cottage in the Country by Linn B. Halton


Title - A Cottage in the Country
Author - Linn B. Halton
Publication Date - July 16th 2015
Publisher - HarperImpulse
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 273

What do you do when your best friend has an affair with the man to whom you've been married for twenty-five years? The father of your two children and the person you trusted with your heart?Not to mention the best years of your life...

Well, you pack your bags, grab half of the equity in the house you've both lovingly restored and run away to an idyllic little cottage in the country.

Only it's not so idyllic when
1.) Rustic charm sounds rather romantic, but the reality is something else...
2.) The heavens decide to open on moving day and the rain just keeps on coming...

Maddie Brooks grits her teeth and hires the highly recommended 'man who can', ex-soldier, Lewis Hart. As he rips out the very shabby, and decidedly not-so-chic kitchen, reality sets in. Not only is he the most abrupt person she's ever met, but the man is a Neanderthal!

As the flood waters rise, and the village is cut off, everything that could possibly go wrong, does. 

Hitting the big five-o is the final straw. No presents, family or friends - just infuriating Lewis, who can't leave because the flood has now cut off his exit. How on earth is she going to get through this and put her life back together?

Can Maddie Brooks become that 'fifty-and-fabulous' woman of her dreams?

I won't lie, as soon as I clapped eyes on the cover for A Cottage in the Country by Linn B. Halton, I was in book-cover love. I don't know about you, but I absolutely adore anything remotely cottage or countryside related, and so once I'd read the blurb and got a 'feel' for what this novel was going to be about, I couldn't wait to begin reading. This is the very first novel that I have read by Linn B. Halton and I thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly her gorgeous imagery when it came to the cottage itself, and her fantastically developed characters. This, dear readers, was a delight!

In a nutshell, A Cottage in the Country by Linn B. Halton focuses on Maddie Brooks who, as the novel begins, is just about to move into the home of her dreams. What Maddie doesn't realise though, is that the cottage is the home of someone else's dreams too. More specifically, the rugged, rolled-in-masculinity Lewis Hart, who was utterly divine, aloof, and had that addictive 'don't talk to me' vibe going on. Right from the get-go, there were sparks, sparks which I loved and couldn't get enough of. The author set the scene of Maddie's life, and her not-so-pretty past perfectly, and it didn't take long for me to get an image of Maddie clear in my head. I love her wittiness, her outlook and, although it didn't make an appearance constantly, her positivity and determination. I got the impression that, despite the unfortunate circumstances between Maddie and her ex-husband, she was a woman on a mission, finally doing things for herself rather than other people, and making the best of it. Maddie had spent almost the entirety of her life bending to the rules of other people, but now it was time for her to follow no one's rules except her own. The novel had such a brilliant premise, and the contrasts between Maddie and handyman Lewis worked so well. It seemed that fate had definitely brought these two together and I couldn't wait to see what would become of the two of them, especially in regards to having to be in such close proximity when the flooding arrives, eek!

The author's writing was a real joy to read, flowing beautifully fluidly and maintaining a great pacing throughout. There was always something for me to look forward to, and I really enjoyed watching the renovations taking place within the cottage, like I could see the transformation taking place in my mind. The characters, from beginning to end, developed fantastically and any interactions between Maddie and Lewis had me sitting up a little straighter, eager to see where the author would take the two of them next. The sparks were flying and the chemistry was popping, making this not only a brilliantly exciting read, but a read full of tension too.

Overall, I thought A Cottage in the Country Linn B. Halton was fabulous! With an idyllic setting, a soon-to-be gorgeous home, and two characters positively glowing with chemistry, this novel gave me a truly enjoyable couple of hours away from reality! And I would have gladly swapped places with Maddie Brooks!

Becca's Books is awarding A Cottage in the Country by Linn B. Halton with FOUR GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! I'll definitely be looking forward to more from this author. 













1 comment :

  1. Ah, Becca, what a lovely surprise to read your review and thank you so much for taking the time to read A Cottage in the Country. I have to agree with you about Lewis ... if I ever get stranded in a cottage during a flood, he'd be my dream companion! Thrilled that you enjoyed it - have a superb week - you've made mine! Lx

    ReplyDelete