BLOG TOUR ~ The Things We Do For Love by Alice Peterson

Title - The Things We Do For Love
Author - Alice Peterson
Publication Date - September 10th 2015 (Paperback)
Publisher - Quercus
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 384

Love may hurt, but not loving hurts even more...

January Wild loves her daughter, her dog and her childhood home by the sea. 
Single parenting is tough, but January has no regrets. She has a job she loves, a happy home and the support of her beloved grandfather. The arrival of a new boss, however, threatens to shake up January's safe world.

Ward Metcalfe loves great sales results and a well-run office.
Everyone at her office agrees: Ward is a soulless, corporate slave driver. Even Spud, the company mascot, dislikes him.

A secret stands between them.
Yet over time January sees there is more to Ward than meets the eye. Rumours circulate. What exactly is he hiding? And is January prepared to risk everything to find out?

Alice Peterson truly is a talented author who approaches each and every subject she writes about with the up-most respect, care, tenderness, and knowledge. Each book that I have previously devoured by Peterson has opened my eyes to aspects of the world that I perhaps hadn't given much thought to beforehand. One Step Closer to You and By My Side are the last two novels that I've read by Peterson and both were absolutely beautiful in how they were written, nurtured and told. The author has a wonderfully inspiring voice and style that are unique only to her, both of which I could read again and again and again. Peterson has a knack for reeling her readers in, myself most definitely included, and when I saw the announcement of The Things We Do For Love, I just knew that I had to read it as soon as I possibly could. The fact that I've only read two books by Peterson, yet admire the author as much as I do, pretty much speaks for itself. If I'm going to be completely honest, even if I'd just read one of the two books, Peterson would have won me over. She is now an author whose each book I will anticipate because she delivers each and every time, and creates the most exceptionally moving stories I ever did read.

In Peterson's latest novel, The Things We Do For Love, we're introduced to January Wild, a woman who has not had the most easiest of life-roads to traverse. After the death of her parents in a tragic car accident when she was just one and her brother Lucas was four, both went to live with their grandparents who then nurtured and cared for their grandchildren. It became obvious early-on that January had seen a ton of upheaval in her earlier years of life gaining my love immediately. Alice unravels January's story so neatly I became involved in it instantly. The author took me back to the past, where we meet a younger January, and we're invited to see how her life progressed from the moment she met her ex Dan and became pregnant. January's past was so concrete and believable, I couldn't fathom how real she seemed to me. As always, Peterson creates complex characters who have been through so much it's impossible not to admire them. Real life takes centre stage in Peterson's novels and that is very much evident in her latest when January is told that her daughter Isla has cerebral palsy. As a single mother, Peterson emphasised the struggles which January had to overcome, but at the same time, the sheer love that January had for Isla, and the strength to continue fighting for the best possible life that she could provide. The emotional depth of January's story moved me tears at regular moments within the novel, and I wanted nothing but the best for both January and her daughter Isla. Peterson's characters never fail to find a place close to my heart and the characters within The Things We Do For Love were no exception. Despite the fact that January's life had been nowhere near perfect, she's a hard worker, determined and strong, and a woman whom I'm sure we would all aspire to have the strength and determination of. 

Throughout the progression The Things We Do For Love, Peterson fluidly switched from the present to the past, allowing the reader an insight into January and her brother's upbringing. It was so interesting to see how the two of them interacted and found their own different experiences in the move to live with their grandparents. I really do adore reading about siblings and family life, and January and Lucas's was no different. There was a clear contrast between the two of them, Lucas being the older and more understanding of the two of them in the circumstances that the two found themselves in. I absolutely adored their grandparents and truly felt for each member of the family as they became accustomed to their new situation. 

As I mentioned earlier in my review, Peterson chooses subjects for her novels which I'm sure authors could find difficult to write about if it weren't for thorough research and gaining of knowledge in those areas. This, as always, was not an issue for Peterson. She writes with such care and respect for the subjects she chooses, and that was very much in place when she wrote about January's daughter Isla. My heart ached for mother and daughter, and brought me ever closer to the fact that these two were truly one half of each other. The love and bond between the two of them, as well as the surrounding characters in the novel, moved me completely. Peterson has such a striking ability when it comes to the intricacies of love and relationships, and she made the most of this ability in The Things We Do For Love. There were many moments of swimming vision and a racing heart which I've found to be common when reading Peterson's novels and it's an experience that I now couple with this author's books.  

The journey which January and Isla tread upon in this novel broke my heart into pieces and then put it back together again. With the help of their ever-loving family and Ward Metcalfe, who January finds an unsuspecting friend and confidant in, The Things We Do For Love was just as moving, tender and beautiful as I had expected it to be. I try so hard not to have expectations of authors these days, but with Alice Peterson constantly delivering, it's almost impossible not to have them. I really cannot recommend this book enough, but I would definitely recommend that you have some tissues handy for when you come to read it.

Becca's Books is awarding The Things We Do For Love by Alice Peterson with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! It was everything that I had hoped for and more, with that perfect dose of Peterson's style that I've quickly become so very fond of. A beautifully moving tale of a mother and daughter's love, and overcoming the past to make your future just as beautiful as it deserves to be.

*Special thanks to Alice Peterson and Quercus for providing me with a digital copy of The Things We Do For Love in exchange for a fair and honest review*

 


Thanks to Alice's fabulous publishers Quercus, I'm lucky enough to be able to host a giveaway for one lucky UK BASED winner, who'll be able to enjoy this beautiful novel for themselves. It's simple to enter, just follow the instructions below, and good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Alice has published two non-fiction books, (Another Alice and M'Coben, Place of Ghosts) and seven novels (Letters From My Sister, You, Me and Him, Monday to Friday Man, Ten Years On, By My Side, One Step Closer to You - which won Best Romantic Read at the Festival of Romance last year, and finally, The Things We Do For Love, published in paperback September 2015). Alice's writing is funny, romantic, powerful and emotional. At the heart of each novel is a love story but what makes Alice stand out in her genre is her talent to write hard-hitting and thought-provoking themes within her storylines - such as addiction and disability. Her protagonists often have to overcome adversity, based on Alice's own experience of a professional tennis career cut short at the age of 18 when she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. This gives her a unique perspective on real life issues that she translates with deep compassion, empathy and her trademark humour. Alice lives in West London with her Lucas Terrier, Mr Darcy.   

You can find Alice Peterson on Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | alicepeterson.co.uk

And be sure to catch-up and follow the previous and future stops on Alice Peterson's fantastic blog tour! Enjoy!













  

     





Post a Comment