I'm back!

I really can't believe that it's been almost two months since I toddled off on my self-imposed book-blogging break, but oh my word, it has been truly fantastic, and apparently just what I needed at exactly the right time too.

Why did I decide to take a break? Well, for starters, I had my second novel with Carina to write. 'A Home in Sunset Bay' was announced on Twitter Friday just gone and it was brilliant! It's only the finished first draft mind you, but I'm pretty proud of myself and I knew I needed some time out to really focus on it and give it my all, because we all know how distracting social-media, authors' book news and basically every single thing ever on the internet can be. It might sound ridiculous, but if there's anything I've learnt about life, only you know what needs to be done. It's not everyday you find yourself with a publishing deal, with such a wonderful publisher too, and I realised I couldn't mess it up. No chance. I needed to get serious and put every single ounce of whatever Carina saw in me, into that novel. Fingers crossed!

I also seriously, seriously, seriously needed to make some sort of dent in my to-read pile. When I first began book-blogging, I had no idea that things would pile up so rapidly around me. Books falling through the letterbox, review requests in my inbox... I felt like my head was spinning around on my shoulders as I attempted to handle it all in a very unladylike manner! But of course, loving books as much as I do, I found each and every one of those review requests special and exciting. And book-post? Gah, don't even get me started on the splurge of emotions I feel when I see a parcel with my name on it arrive! So, as you can imagine, things began to build up, and I began to feel like I'd taken on more than I could chew. I had no sort of order, structure or schedule in place, I didn't know whether I was coming or going, and for a while I began to question whether I had any right to be calling myself a book-blogger when I couldn't even handle my own book-blog. Eventually, once I'd figured it all out in my head, I reached the book-blogging-break decision. I have to admit, it was difficult at first. That probably sounds ridiculous but it was! I love my blog, I'm so proud of it, and I love sharing reviews with readers from all over the place, but I realised that I had to feel okay in myself too, to feel like I was in control and not the other way round. 

And so, the book-blogging-break began! And it was wonderful! Alongside the whole 'full steam ahead' with 'A Home in Sunset Bay', I managed to read a whole load of books too, and finally, for the first time for what seems like forever, I'm actually ahead of myself! I have reviews scheduled for every day, right up until October, and I've never felt better. I'm on top of things and feel like my head is no longer spinning around on my shoulders, but rather firmly in place and thankfully focused! It's such a great feeling, and fingers crossed, I can keep it up and not find myself struggling once more. 

Because of the lack of worrying about reviews etc. I've felt better than I have in ages. I've been able to focus on things other than the book blog and reviews, and have been reading at my own leisurely pace which I've loved. It really has been the most wonderful almost-two-months and I'd definitely recommend a blog-holiday for if ever you feel like you're floundering, as I was. Taking a break doesn't mean you don't love what you do, it just means you know when you're struggling and respect yourself enough to take that necessary step back to make yourself feel better all over again!

So, there it is! It may not seem like a lot to some people, but giving myself a break and focusing on the things most important to me has revitalised my love for all things writing and books and life in general. I've enjoyed the summer sunshine, spent days lazing about on the grass in the garden, read what I wanted and when I wanted, and felt able to breathe again. I've definitely learnt my lesson, and will definitely think twice before taking on too much in the future. I was frazzled, but now feel better than ever and more than ready to get back in my blogging boots! Yeeeeha!





















2 comments :

  1. Sounds like a well earned break Becca. Good to have you back xx 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a well deserved and needed break Becca, I'm new to blogging and having that "omg I'm getting nowhere with my the list/why did I start this" moment so I can only imagine how you felt being swamped!
    Anyhow-it's lovely to have you back, looking forward to what you've got coming up.
    Laura - LozzasBookCorner xx

    ReplyDelete