The Piano Man Project by Kat French


Title - The Piano Man Project
Author - Kat French
Publication Date - July 30th 2015
Publisher - Avon
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 400

Finding love isn't always black and white...

You: kind, piano-playing sex god
Me: hopelessly romantic charity shop manager

Honeysuckle Jones has a problem, and her best friends Nell and Tash are on a mission to help her solve it. She needs a man - a caring, intelligent, funny man. But most importantly, a man who's good with his hands...

Luckily Honey's new neighbour - moody, antisocial ex-chef Hal - fails on almost every count. Even though the chemistry between them is electric, he's obviously wrong for her in every way.

But when Honey discovers the devastating reason for his moods she decides to give him another chance. And discovers that the best songs aren't always in tune...

This review is going to be absolutely jam-packed with exceedingly positive words because I really cannot begin to tell you how much I utterly adored this novel. From the very first page, to the very last, I scoffed The Piano Man Project down so greedily, you'd question whether I was human or animal. It was perfect, the ultimate love story, delicately sexy, agonisingly torturous, but overall, unforgettable. Even now, Honey and Hal are going round and around in my mind, long after I finished their story, and I'm certain they'll remain to do so for a very long time indeed. I really, really, really cannot recommend this book enough. I want to read it again right now. I wish there were a way for me to have my memory of having already read it once made blank, and I'll be jealous of every person who says they're about to read this book for the first time. I so wish I could be in that position again myself! If that person just happens to be you, then I promise you, you are in for such a treat!

In The Piano Man Project, Kat French introduces us to Honeysuckle Jones, aka. Honey. With an amusing opening scene featuring Honey, alongside her best friends Nell and Tash perusing the shelves in a risqué shop, Honey comes clean. She's never had an orgasm, and so, a mission to find a piano player (who happens to be talented with his hands, no less) comes into play, and the search for a piano player begins. 

I felt that by choosing to open the novel in such a humorous way really set the tone for the friendship between these three women. Not to be taken too seriously, warm and enveloping, I found myself looking forward to any time that the women would spend together. What I also loved was how easy it was to set each woman apart in the group, despite them being so close to each other. Nell and Tash were both so full of character, Honey included of course, and their hilarious conversations and womanly-banter added a technicolour mish-mash of colour to the novel. Each of them seemed to slot so seamlessly into the friendship circle too, bringing their own unique streak of humour, comfort and style to the group, and I loved being witness to anything that took place between them. Honey, our heroine within The Piano Man Project, certainly seemed like the baby of the group to me. Perhaps it was her sweet-as-sugar name that gave me this impression, or the fact that both of her best friends seemed more wise in the ways of the world? Either way, none of this deterred me from taking to Honey immediately. She was warm, friendly, so kind-hearted and good-natured, and I found myself feeling sympathetic towards her when she reveals her secret at the beginning, causing Nell and, more prominently Tash, to pounce and try to correct it. Throughout the entirety of the plot, I was kept highly-entertained and amused by the antics of not only Honey, Nell and Tash, but also by Lucille and Mimi, who volunteered in the charity shop where Honey worked. There was such a fantastic amount of pizzazz and vibrancy to the plot, so much for me to savour and enjoy, even more so when Hal made an appearance and stole my heart completely.

Now, this is going to be difficult for me to chat about without giving too much away because, dear readers, I want you to be just as surprised as I was when Hal's true character was revealed. When I first began reading The Piano Man Project, I had settled myself down for a warm, romantic read, but what I actually received was so much more than that. Don't get me wrong, I practically live and breathe for warmth and romance, but this? This was something else entirely, and once I was aware of the facts, I couldn't help but to sit up a little straighter, open my eyes a little wider and read each chapter that little bit more slowly. I wanted each and every word to last a lifetime, I wanted the moments shared between Hal and Honey to drag on for eternity because they were so damn divine. Kat really hit the nail on the head with her novel because it spoke to me in so many ways, touched me so deeply and made me feel so intensely invested in her characters' lives. It was pure magic, completely overwhelming, and indescribably special. I have to admit, when Kat first introduces Hal to the plot, and Honey, I was a bit taken aback. He's very sweary, very aggressive although not in a physical manner, but despite that, I was drawn to him, because there something else about him too. Honey knew it, and so did I. Living across from Hal, and having their first encounter drowned out by a fire alarm blaring until Honey smashes it off the wall, Honey began to become rather intrigued by the guy who lived across the hall, and so began a beautiful journey that had me hanging on by a thread until the very last page.

This is the first novel that I have read by Kat French, although I do have another by this author, Undertaking Love, waiting for me on my bookshelf. After reading The Piano Man Project, my need to reach it has become almost unbearable. Kat writes with such a gorgeous style, wholly comforting and constantly exciting, dipping me in and out of Honey's life working in the charity shop alongside Lucille and Mimi, girly outings with her best friends, and awkward conversations with Hal's front door which had me laughing out loud! It was almost always entertaining, sometimes tender and warm, and other times, just downright BEAUTIFUL! I didn't want to stop reading ever. I was taking my Kindle everywhere with me, just so I could pick up where I'd left off as soon as possible. It was enticing, deliciously sexy and just absolutely perfect in every single way. This is a romance with that something more, that something that wriggles beneath your skin and refuses to leave while it leaves you basking in the afterglow of reading such a glorious story. I'm still sitting in that afterglow right now, and I absolutely LOVE IT!

Becca's Books is awarding The Piano Man Project by Kat French with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! I'm certain I've found a new all-time favourite book, and I would recommend this novel to anyone and everyone, it's definitely one that you need sitting on your bookshelf, to look at sometimes and think to yourself, "I remember that, and I remember how it made me feel too."













    





1 comment :

  1. I'm so in love with this book! It was absolutely brillant! it's one of those book where you want to scream in people's faces to read it!

    ReplyDelete