Lacey London | Author Interview

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be welcoming bestselling author Lacey London to the blog for a Q and A session. Lacey is the author of The Clara Andrews Series, which we'll be chatting about today! The series sounds absolutely brilliant so I cannot wait to learn more.

Hi Lacey! Thanks so much for being here today
Hi Becca! Thank you for having me! It's a pleasure to be here.

Lacey, when did your love of writing morph into something bigger? Have you always been a lover of words?
I have loved to read from a very young age. As a child, I was always happiest curled up in bed reading a good book. A couple of years ago I decided to pick up a pen (or rather a laptop) and have a go at writing myself. Things developed pretty rapidly and I now write full time.

Are you an avid reader as well as a writer? Who are some of your favourite authors?
I love some good chick-lit, although I rarely get time to read these days! Sophie Kinsella, Lindsey Kelk and Jane Costello are amongst my favourites. Anything that is fun, frothy and flirty gets my vote.

On an average day, where would we usually find you?
An average day to me usually involves a laptop, a dressing gown and lots of coffee. When I am not holed up in the house working, you can always find me at the shops. I like to shop... a lot. Just ask my husband.

Tell us about your planning process. Are you a note-maker? Or do you wait and see where the story and your characters take you?
I generally start with a vague idea of what I want to happen, but more often than not as the story progresses I end up going in a totally different direction.

What, in your opinion, is the perfect writing accompaniment?
Coffee and wine! If I can start the day with a nice Americano and finish it with a glass of Rioja then I am pretty happy. I think it is safe to say that without coffee and wine Clara Andrews would not exist.

Do you have a secluded writing space, or can you get into the writing mind wherever you are?
Usually I write from home, although I can write pretty much anywhere as long as I don't have too many distractions.

In terms of inspiration, where do most of your ideas come from?
People watching is a fantastic way to get inspiration. I will go and sit in a coffee shop or bar and just watch people going about their daily activities. Sometimes, the best ideas come from the most simplest of places.

What genre do you write in? Is there a reason as to why you write it?
I write chick-lit. Chick-lit has been given somewhat of a bad reputation of late, but it is exactly what my books are. Lighthearted, fun and easy to read. There are no deep meanings behind them, they are just bubbly books to escape into.

Can you tell us about the books you write, Lacey? What sort of themes do you focus on?
The Clara Andrews series focuses on a twenty something girl's everyday life and the mistakes that she makes along the way. Dating the wrong men, drinking too much and falling in love too quickly... things that we are all guilty of doing at some point.

In terms of reviews, how do you deal with the bad ones?
To be completely honest, I don't take them to heart. At first I would get terribly upset at a bad review, but I quickly learnt that you can't please everyone. A thick skin is something that you have to develop pretty quickly when signing up to be an author.

How do you celebrate the good ones?
Good reviews are always heart warming to read and I really do appreciate people taking the time to write them. A positive review puts a smile on my face and a spring in my step. Literally!

Do you set yourself a daily word goal?
I used to set myself targets, but now I just write as much as I can. When my fingers ache and my eyesight has gone a little fuzzy, I know that it is time to call it a night.

How much time do you spend writing?
I literally write all day. Well, all night. I am a night owl and would rather work when the world is quiet.

Do you have any mottos/rules that you live by?
Que sera, sera. I have always been a natural born worrier, but recently I have conceded to the fact that life is far too short to waste a second of it worrying. Be young, be foolish and most importantly, be happy.

Who are some of your biggest supporters?
My husband. He really is my biggest fan and I love him for it.

How do you celebrate on publication day?
On publication day I will have a glass (or three) of fizz and then get onto the next book! I always say that I will take a break from writing, but after a day or so I miss Clara and the gang. I am my happiest when writing.

Favourite thing about writing?
Being able to work for myself, although a lot of self-control is needed! It is very easy to get lazy when you don't have a boss to breathing down your neck.

During those days when the words don't seem to come, how you get them flowing again?
Writer's block is very real and very frustrating. Rather than staring at a blank computer screen, I walk away and come back to it later. Even just a thirty minute break refreshes the mind.

With Christmas coming up, can you tell us about your plans?
I adore Christmas, but this year we are selling our house so things are going to be a little hectic. I always say that it isn't what you do at Christmas that matters, but who you spend it with.

What's your favourite part of the Christmas season?
You know how you wake up on Christmas morning with that buzz of excitement in the pit of your stomach? That is my favourite thing. No matter how old you are that never leaves and I don't think that you can put a price on that.

Who cooks the Christmas dinner, and who does the washing up?
My husband does all the cooking. He cooks and I clean. I think that is pretty fair, don't you?

If you could have one wish granted this year, what would it be?
For my books to make it into the Top 100 on Amazon. That really would be a dream come true. I hope Santa is listening...


Lacey London is in love with a Yorkshire Terrier and sometimes her husband.
When she is not writing, she can be found shopping, sleeping, but never running.
She loves capers and hates celery.

You can find Lacey London on Twitter
You can find The Clara Andrews Series on -









Post a Comment