Lost Girls by Angela Marsons | Book Review

Title - The Lost Girls
Author - Angela Marsons
Publication Date - November 6th 2015
Publisher - Bookouture
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 359

Two girls go missing. Only one will return.
The couple that offers the highest amount will see their daughter again. The losing couple will not. Make no mistake. One child will die.

When nine-year old best friends Charlie and Amy disappear, two families are plunged into a living nightmare. A text message confirms the unthinkable; that the girls are the victims of a terrifying kidnapping.

And when a second text message pits the two families against each other for the life of their children, the clock starts ticking for D.I. Kim Stone and the squad.

Seemingly outwitted at every turn, as they uncover a trail of bodies, Stone realises that these ruthless killers might be the most deadly she has ever faced. And that their chances of bringing the girls home alive, are getting smaller by the house...

Untangling a dark web of secrets from the families' past might hold the key to solving this case. But can Kim stay alive long enough to do so? Or will someone's child pay the ultimate price?

It's no exaggeration when I say that I'm not a reader of this genre. At least, I wasn't until Bookouture author Angela Marsons stepped on the scene and turned my head towards something out of the ordinary in regards to my reading habits. In truth, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Angela's Bookouture debut Silent Scream, even more so when I turned the final page of her second novel in the series Evil Games. Perhaps that same surprise should have made an appearance when I finished Lost Girls? Who knows? All I do know is that this book was an absolute triumph, showcasing perfectly Angela Marsons' talent and passion for the D.I. Kim Stone series.

A sweeping, courageous and pulse-raising story, Angela Marsons takes things one step further in Lost Girls. A twisted, cruel game, the kidnapping of two young girls, and the tick-tocking of the clock as Kim Stone steps up against one of her hardest cases yet, this novel has to be the most hard-hitting, nail-biting and excruciating of the three. Not only is Kim again racing against time in order to keep the loss of life at bay, but she's embroiled also in the dynamics of a panic-stricken family with secrets of their very own simmering just beneath the surface.

Black Country based, Kim Stone and her impressive team are back in the throes of a terrifying investigation. I'm sure I said the very same thing within my reviews of Angela's previous books in the D.I. Kim Stone series, but arriving back beside Kim always fills me with a strange sort of comfort. Put it this way, if ever I needed a kick-ass heroine by my side, Kim Stone would definitely be my go-to woman. Finding herself face-to-face with a person she'd shared a slice of her past alongside, more of Kim Stone is revealed to the reader. I don't know about you, but I absolutely love how, even now, after three books, I still feel that Kim Stone is a mystery to me. Not so much that I don't understand her, but more along the lines of, I know enough to understand but I'm still intrigued. Emotions very rarely stand in Kim's way when she's dealing with the cases handed to her, but this time, with two young girls' lives on the line, it's a different story. The case brings forward memories for Kim, memories involving things she would hate to see be repeated and so, in true Kim Stone style, she gives the case everything she's got, which turns out to be a whole damn lot.

The entirety of Lost Girls had me sat right on the edge of my seat. If I'd thought that the previous novels were enough to have me digging my fingernails into my Kindle case, then this time round, I basically shredded it to smithereens. It was tense, it was nerve racking, it was exactly what I'd been hoping for and then some. Angela has such an incredible way of shaping and forming my moods when reading her words. Atmospheres are handed to me beautifully, allowing my focus to sharpen and alter on different aspects as the story progresses. From one chapter to the next, I found myself faced with something new and dangerous. With every flick of a page, the tension only increased, and by the time I reached the end of Lost Girls, I felt as if I'd really been put through my paces. These aren't just words that Angela puts before you. They're stepping-stones into her novels that allow you to feel everything that Kim Stone experiences. It may sound ridiculous, but I felt as if I were part of the team myself, as if I were discovering everything right beside Kim. Every clue, every moment of communication between the kidnappers and the parents. It was electric and addictive, the plot seamlessly sewn together, all in all providing me with yet another absolutely brilliant read that has me even firmer in my love for Angela Marsons and her novels.

Becca's Books is awarding Lost Girls by Angela Marsons with five scrummy cupcakes. If you had told me that one day I'd be this gushing about a crime novel, I probably wouldn't have believed you. But I'm concrete in now saying that I'll be looking forward to Angela Marsons' future releases for a very long time to come. A complete winner with me.


You can find Lost Girls by Angela Marsons on -








     

   

     







      



1 comment :

  1. Oh Becca, thank you so so much for this fantastic review. Your comments have blown me away and made my day but I am very sorry about your kindle case. :-) XXX

    ReplyDelete