Tell the Story to Its End by Simon P. Clark | Book Review


Title - Tell the Story to Its End
Author - Simon P. Clark
Publication Date - October 20th 2015
Publisher - St. Martin's Griffin
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 208

People are keeping secrets from Oli. His mum has brought him to stay with his aunt and uncle in the countryside, but nobody will tell him where his father is. Why isn't he with them? Has something happened? Oli has a hundred questions, and only an old, empty house in the middle of an ancient forest for answers. But then he finds a secret of his own: there is a creature that lives in the attic...

Eren is not human. 
Eren is hungry for stories. 
Eren has been waiting for him.

Sharing his stories, Oli starts to make sense of what's happening downstairs with his family. But what if it's a trap? Soon, Oli must make a choice: learn the truth - or abandon himself to Eren's world, forever.

Tell the Story to Its End by Simon P. Clark caught my attention right away. The cover had me conjuring up images of dark myths and legends, creepy monsters hidden beneath the bed and things lurking in the shadows. Claws and fog only intensified the already dramatic atmosphere, so I really couldn't wait to begin. Coupled with the blurb, I was left feeling hungry for more, and I had no idea how similar that would make me and the mysterious character of Eren who lived within the pages.

Right from the very start, Clark drew me into this story with the hint of secrecy. The novel begins as Oli travels to his aunt 's and uncle's house in the countryside alongside his mum. It becomes clear that something is amiss, taking into account the quietness of Oli's mum and the bizarreness of the situation that Oli finds himself in. He has never been to his Uncle's before, and isn't sure of where his father is. Once at the house, Oli realises that his family are reluctant to tell him what's going on and so, he's left to muddle through and try to figure things out for himself. I thought that this was a brilliant way to begin Oli's adventure and I really couldn't wait to see what Clark had in store for me as a reader.

As the story progressed, I found myself becoming more and more captivated by the strange and somewhat unsettling tale that began to unfold. There were times throughout reading where I became a tad confused about the changing of past and present tense and wasn't quite sure of where I'd suddenly found myself in terms of plot. Thankfully, it all made sense later down the line, and only added to my enjoyment of this book. It was dark and grim, and seemed to fit perfectly with Oli's mood and feelings towards his new temporary home. His discovery of the house reeled me in further, as well as the friends he happened to make throughout his time in the area. There was a fantastic focus on dreams, myths, stories and words, a focus which I truly loved, being an avid reader myself. Simon P.Clark gave me so much food for thought during Oli's visits to the attic and allowed me to view stories in a completely different light. Despite the darkness which permeated this story, there was a real spark of magic within it that I loved. It brought my imagination to life and allowed me to revisit those corners of my mind that I haven't thought about since childhood. The possibility of anything being able to happen, no matter how far-fetched it may be.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Tell the Story to Its End by Simon P. Clark. It was so full of creativity and fantasy-like ideas and dreams, whimsical creatures and nightmarish atmospheres. It is exactly the sort of book I would have devoured in my younger years (as well as now) and I'd love to read more from this author in the future. Becca's Books is awarding Tell the Story to Its End by Simon P.Clark with FOUR GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! Shrouded in fog, riddled with secrets and a creature with an insatiable hunger for words, this is a book to be discovered by all passionate readers. 


Simon P. Clark grew up in Britain, taught English in Japan, lived in America, and has now moved back to the UK. He writes stories for children (and children at heart) that tend to be a bit odd.

You can find Simon P. Clark on Facebook | Twitter | simonpclark.com
You can find Tell the Story to Its End on -








Post a Comment