Christmas on Becca's Books | Aunt Mary's Amish Sugar Cookies with Jenny Hale

~ Aunt Mary's Amish Sugar Cookies ~

With Jenny Hale

To me, Christmas is mostly about love and how that love is shared with friends and family. Growing up, we used to bake an old Amish family recipe for sugar cookies. My mother remembers her aunt baking these cookies when my mom was a child, and then she made them for me when I was growing up. We’d cut them into different shapes, add icing, sprinkles—all sorts of things. Since it was my mother’s family recipe, I asked her if I could share it, and she agreed. After all, Christmas is about sharing, right? So, from my family to yours, happy holidays!


Aunt Mary’s Amish Sugar Cookies

In Bowl 1: Mix together 6 ½ cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Separate bowl (Bowl 2): Mix together 1 cup soft butter, 3 cups sugar, 2 eggs unbeaten, 3 tablespoons vanilla, 1 cup sour cream (Fun fact: It was originally written “commercial” sour cream because the Amish got their cream from their milk and the recipe was rewritten for us.)

Add flour mixture (Bowl 1) to Bowl 2 and beat or mix with hands until well mixed.

Place in refrigerator and chill for one hour or longer.

After that, roll out dough, cut cookies, and add to well-oiled cookie sheet. Bake on 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.



When I graduated college, one of my friends said, "Look out for this one; she's going to be an author one day." Despite being an avid reader and a natural storyteller, it wasn't until that very moment that the idea of writing novels occurred to me.

Sometimes our friends can see the things that we can't.

While I didn't start straight away, that comment sowed a seed and several years, two children, and hundreds of thousands of words later, I completed a novel that I felt was worthy of publication. 

The rest is history.

When I'm not writing, I'm a District Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages, a mother of two boys, and a wife to a very supportive husband.

You can find Jenny Hale on Facebook | Twitter | itsjennyhale.com




Post a Comment