Christmas on Becca's Books | Christmas is Made For Friends by Marcie Steele

~ Christmas is Made For Friends ~

By Marcie Steele

Christmas is made for friends, don’t you think? Whether it’s hooking up to go shopping with your bestie, having a few cocktails on a girls’ night out, swapping Secret Santa presents over a long lunch, or just having a giggle watching ‘Home Alone’ with a mug of hot chocolate, the fun is endless. And even my man is my best friend when he has a chocolate orange to share.

Having said that, I’ve known my best friend for over twenty years now. We met at college in our early twenties – ooh, I’m slighting giving our ages away there.
We’ve known each other through both of us getting married, each getting divorced and each married again, with two children for her, and we’re still going strong. There isn’t a time that we have fallen out. We’re always there for each other, to lend an ear to, offer a hug, share good news and console if it’s bad. She’s like the sister I never had.

I love shopping for her presents at Christmas. There are so many little gifts and sets on display, I just go to town (literally – no internet shopping for me). All the shops have something to entice me through their doors. Usually I come away with lots of two for her and one for me, I just can’t resist. Well, most things are on three-for-two sale for that reason, aren’t they?

I’m not quite sure where it started but it’s become a tradition now every year to buy each other a desk calendar, a wall calendar and a diary. We both have great fun finding new ones. Christmas cards are special for us too. Not a lot of people buy them now - I know I don’t miss them hanging around the house, falling over every time a door shut. But I do like the special ones. Again with this, it’s a tradition to get a nice one for each other.

We meet on Christmas Eve and open the pressies together over a coffee and mince pie. It’s our mini Christmas, before all the hard work starts in preparation for the next day. We have so much fun – I love to see her face light up when she likes something, or grins when it’s something silly.

It sounds as if we are fifteen – but I wouldn’t swap our Christmas fun for anything. Because really, isn’t that what friends are for?


I'm Mel Sherratt but I also write under the name of Marcie Steele. I'm a romantic at heart and have always wanted to write about characters who were not necessarily involved in the darker side of life. Coffee, cakes and friends are three of my favourite things, hence Stirred with Love for my first book writing as Marcie Steele. My second, That's What Friends are For, will be published in December 2015.

As Mel, I write crime thrillers, psychological suspense and fiction with a punch - or grit-lit, as I call it. Shortlisted for the prestigious CWA (Crime Writer's Association) Dagger in Library Award 2014, my inspiration comes from authors such as Mandasue Heller, Lynda la Plante, Mandasue Heller and Elizabeth Haynes. Since 2012, all seven of my crime novels have been bestsellers, each one climbing into the kindle UK top 20 and I've had several number ones.

I live in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, with my husband and terrier, Dexter.

You can find Marcie Steele on Facebook | Twitter




Post a Comment