Christmas on Becca's Books | Christmas Q&A with Sharon Atkinson

~ Christmas Q&A ~

With Sharon Atkinson

Thank you Becca so much for inviting me to be a part of your festive blogs.  I absolutely love Christmas, I think I should be a personal Christmas shopper.  The questions have been great fun and some a little challenging.

Merry Christmas All!


What does Christmas mean to you?

Christmas to me means family and friends.  Giving gifts and watching their faces as they unwrap their hidden treasures.  It also means loads of Christmas movies and books.  A time to relax from work, but not from the Christmas festivities.  Oh and not forgetting all the food without feeling guilty.


When does the Christmas excitement usually begin in your household?
For me Christmas doesn’t start early enough, but I do try and sneak Christmas in when I can.  Once the tree is up and we have watched ‘A Christmas Carol’ with Alistair Simm (My partner’s favourite), then Christmas has officially started.

 In terms of present shopping, do you like to begin early and stay organised, or are you a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of shopper?
I always start early.  Throughout the year, I listen very closely to what friends and family members say about what they like etc. and if I see the mentioned product, I normally get it and store it away somewhere safe.  Normally by the end week of November, all my Christmas shopping is done.  The only thing I have left to do is wrap the lot and give the presents out!

 What’s your favourite part of a Christmas dinner?
If I am honest, I love all of it, from preparing everything, the smells of the cooking to laying the table and making it look all Christmassy, to sitting down with everyone to indulge with plenty of food and bubbly.

Least favourite part?
The least favourite part would clearly have to be the washing up after all that cooking.  That actually takes longer than the cooking J

Ultimate favourite Christmas song?
This is so hard.  One would have to be ‘Have yourself a merry little Christmas’ and if I were to choose a slightly more modern one, I think it would have to be Shakin’ Stevens version of ‘Merry Christmas Everyone’.  It is a song I can play over and over again and never get sick of it.  Saying that, I am a sucker for a weepie and absolutely love, ‘It’ll be Lonely This Christmas’.  I know you asked for my ultimate Christmas Song, but those three are mine.


 Favourite Christmas movie?
Without a doubt, ‘A Miracle on 34th Street’.  It is such a magical film.  I love both the original in black and white and the one with Richard Attenborough.  They just bring the magic alive.

Is Christmas usually a huge family affair for you, or a small gathering?
It is definitely a family affair.  To me the more the merrier, I always do enough food to feed the street as you never know who may turn up J

Who does the cooking?
I take this in turn with my mum.  One year we all go to my mums for dinner, the following year they all come to me.  (It’s my turn this year.)

What sits atop your Christmas tree?
On the top of my tree I have a gold glittery star.  I did use to have a Winnie the Pooh standing on a honey pot, but if I am honest, I don’t know what happened to it.

Do you decorate with precision, or happy chaos?
Once the lights and beads have gone on the tree perfectly, then I can decorate with happy chaos. J

Who does the washing up afterwards?
I do try to avoid the washing up, but as I do all the cooking, my other half takes over the washing up.

Favourite gift received?
I would have to say that my favourite gift I received would have to be my kindle.  I take it everywhere with me.

A Christmas reading recommendation?
This is a really tough one.  There are so many great authors out there with Christmas related books out. I am even stuck for choice.

 If Santa could grant you one wish this year, what would it be?
My one wish would be the same as every year, to be a mum, but as I know that will never happen, then I would like a trip to Lapland to visit Santa himself.

How early do you wake up on Christmas morning?
This varies for me.  If I am doing the cooking, I don’t actually get to bed, I stay up and cook the turkey and then watch Christmas films until everyone else is up.  If I am not cooking, I am normally up at about 6.30.  I am a big kid and have to see what Santa brought me.


  Three favourite Christmas smells?

My three favourite smells would have to be mulled wine, the Christmas dinner cooking and winterspice candles burning.

Have you ever spent Christmas away from home? Did you enjoy it, or miss the familiar surroundings?
I have never spent Christmas away from home.  I don’t think I could.  It would not be Christmas if I was not at home.

Do you pile presents around the tree, or wait until Christmas Eve so they’re there on Christmas morning?
I pile everyone’s presents in their individual piles.  I leave some around the tree for when my parents, brother and sister in law and nieces arrive and then I play Mrs Santa Claus and pull them out individually for each one.

Has anything ever happened to you, to make you wonder if Christmas time really is magical?
No nothing has happened to me, but nothing needs to happen to me to make Christmas a magical time.  The Christmas magic is always there.

If you could spend Christmas anywhere, where would you spend it?
With my family and friends.  No need to go anywhere else.

Cranberry sauce or not?
Would have to be without the cranberry sauce.  I have never really had it with meals.  I quite like the taste of it but it is something I have never warmed to.  Just the way I have been brought up.

Mince pie or Christmas pudding?
Definitely mince pie.  I am not a Christmas pudding fan.

Any special Christmas traditions?
Nothing special really, except we do have a practice Christmas dinner a week before Christmas with our friends.  We have all the trimmings, crackers and presents.  We play games after dinner and gets quite funny once you have had a few glasses of bubbly.

How do you spend Boxing Day?
Boxing day is always spent being lazy.  Eating chocolates, reading or watching Christmas TV.  I try and not go out, just have a nice relaxing day.

At what point do the Christmas decorations come down?
I do try to keep to the 12 days and take the decorations down on 6th January (but if I could leave them up, I would.


What are you looking forward to most, this Christmas?
I have a new niece who has just made an appearance, so naturally it would be to spoil her rotten, but she will only be 4 weeks old so won’t really know anything.  Next year she will be more alert and will get spoilt even more.

You can find Sharon Atkinson on Twitter | wordsandwoes.com



Post a Comment