Christmas on Becca's Books | Christmas Q&A with Lynn Montagano

~ Christmas Q&A ~

With Lynn Montagano

What does Christmas mean to you?
More than any other holiday, Christmas is the one where the entire family is together. For me, Christmas is synonymous with family. And food. Lots and lots of food.

When does the Christmas excitement usually begin in your household?
The day after Thanksgiving. That’s when I start decorating and playing the Christmas music and burning the Christmas scented candles. Love it! Plus, the month of December has been affectionately dubbed “The Month of Lynn.” Well, I dubbed it that. J My birthday is also in December (the 14thalong with my anniversary (the 4th). The entire month is one giant celebration.

In terms of present shopping, do you like to begin early and stay organised, or are you a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of shopper?
I’m a bit of both. There are some presents that I get out of the way early but there’s usually more that I leave for last minute. I’m also the type of person who loves to be in the hustle and bustle of shoppers.

What’s your favourite part of a Christmas dinner?
My family is Italian so all the eating starts on Christmas Eve. We have all kinds of seafood and desserts and then on Christmas morning I always, ALWAYS have homemade chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. I can’t be the only one who does that! J By the time dinner rolls around we’ve been snacking all day on the antipasto and other assorted goodies so there’s barely any room for the ham, lasagne, greens, soup, etc. But we somehow manage to pack it all into out tummies.

Least favourite part?
Feeling like I’m going to explode from all the aforementioned food.

Ultimate favourite Christmas song? 
Do They Know It’s Christmas (the original, 1984 version) and All I Want For Christmas Is You

Favourite Christmas movie?
Love Actually, A Christmas Story, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Is Christmas usually a huge family affair for you, or a small gathering?
Huge. As I mentioned before, my family is Italian so when we all gather together, it gets quite loud!

Who does the cooking?
It depends on where we have Christmas dinner. If it’s at my parent’s house, my mom does most of the cooking. My dad prepares the seafood for Christmas Eve. I make some of the desserts. I might even have a recipe to share with all of you. J

What sits atop your Christmas tree?
A pretty red bow.

Do you decorate with precision, or happy chaos?
Precision. I admit I’m a bit of neat freak so I like to have the decorations perfectly arranged.

Who does the washing up afterwards?
Again, it depends on where we have dinner. If we’re at my parent’s, my dad is a pro at loading the dish washer.

Favourite gift received?
Oh wow. That’s a tough one. I’ve received so many great gifts over the years it’s hard to choose just one!

A Christmas reading recommendation? 
How the Grinch Stole Christmas or A Christmas Carol. They’re both classics that I adore.

 If Santa could grant you one wish this year, what would it be?
I’ve been asking Santa for years to leave Tom Brady under the tree for me. I’m still waiting, Santa!

How early do you wake up on Christmas morning? 
I’m usually up by 8am with coffee in hand, ready to open presents.

Three favourite Christmas smells?
The tree, my mom’s home cooking and, if it snows, the crisp, cool air outside.

Have you ever spent Christmas away from home? Did you enjoy it, or miss the familiar surroundings?
Once. When my husband and I were dating he took me to visit his family in Denmark, which is where he’s from. I’d never been away from home on Christmas before. They do things a little differently over there. We opened all the presents on Christmas Eve and then sang songs while dancing around the Christmas tree. It was nice to see a different way of celebrating the holiday but I missed being home.

Do you pile presents around the tree, or wait until Christmas Eve so they’re there on Christmas morning?
The presents go under the tree as soon as they’re wrapped. Only the ones from Santa are saved for Christmas. J

Has anything ever happened to you, to make you wonder if Christmas time really is magical?
The whole month of December feels magical to me. Nothing has ever happened to me to make me wonder but there’s a feeling that I just can’t put my finger on about the season.

If you could spend Christmas anywhere, where would you spend it?
Home J

Cranberry sauce or not?
YES!

Mince pie or Christmas pudding?
I will never turn down a pudding.

Any special Christmas traditions?
I have this super comfy, one-piece flannel red pajama set that I only wear on Christmas Eve. I love it. It’s basically a onesie for an adult. My husband can’t stand it but I’ll keep on wearing it forever.

How do you spend Boxing Day?
We don’t have Boxing Day here in the States but I spend the day after Christmas at my parent’s having leftovers. J

At what point do the Christmas decorations come down?
A couple of days after New Year.

What are you looking forward to most, this Christmas?
Everything! Decorating the tree, wrapping gifts, listening to Christmas music, spending time with my family, hoping for snow, watching great Christmas movies, baking….I could go on and on!
Thank you so much for letting me take part in your Festive Q&A, Becca! Merry Christmas!



Lynn Montagano is the author of CATCH MY BREATH, UNRAVEL ME and EFFORTLESS. A native Rhode Islander, she loves football, traveling and her cats, Brady and Bigglesworth. 

Having lived in several cities, including Los Angeles and Orlando, she now happily calls Massachusetts home. 

When she isn't galavanting across the planet, you can find her cheering loudly for her beloved New England Patriots or daydreaming about London while penning her next novel. 

You can find Lynn Montagano on Facebook | Twitter | lynnmontagano.net






Post a Comment