Christmas on Becca's Books | A Christmas Memory by Angela Marsons

~ A Christmas Memory ~

By Angela Marsons

As a child I was always the first to rise.  Just like the little girl in Frozen, if the sky was awake, I was awake and even if it wasn’t I tended to be.  Around five o clock each morning my eyes would spring open and refused to close again.
     Most mornings I would amuse myself making fresh new mixtures from the pop bottle delivery.  Note: Dandelion and Burdock and Cream Soda DO NOT mix well.  Of course this was back in the day of three channel television so I had to amuse myself somehow.
     But Christmas Morning was different.  I would open my eyes to a stocking laid at the end of my bunk bed.  It was filled with chocolates and goodies and the inevitable fruit pieces that held little interest for me.
     Stocking in hand I would tiptoe down the stairs to be met by a pile of sparkly presents around the television.  I would stand and gaze in awe at the bright, shiny paper that beckoned me over.  I would enjoy the magical scene for a whole minute.
     And then it was time to get to work.
     Very slowly and carefully I would open each of the presents with my name on just enough so that I could see what was there. 
     By the time my two sisters and brother hurtled down the stairs I knew every present I had.
     But one year, that all changed.  This particular Christmas the only thing I wanted in the whole wide world was the ‘Grease double album soundtrack’.  I had been to see the film countless times and was in love with the songs.
     I checked every single present and it wasn’t there.  I checked them all again hoping the wrong name was on it but a double album is not easy to disguise.
     I struggled not to cry throughout the present opening process.  I cheered at everyone else’s glee as they opened each gift and kept my pain to myself.
     As we all banded together to clear the explosion of Christmas wrapping paper my mom asked me what was wrong.
     I could bear it no longer.  The tears fell from my eyes.  I couldn’t find the words to explain how much Sandy and Danny meant to me.
     My mom smiled and reached behind the sofa.  She handed me a beautifully wrapped, flat, square package.
     “You’re not an easy child to surprise,” she said.
     It was a simple way to teach me that the pleasure is really in the giving and by secretly ferreting away I was taking that gift away from a woman who tried hard on limited funds to make Christmas special for us all.
I never did it again.

Angela Marsons is the author of Amazon #1 Bestseller SILENT SCREAM.

She lives in the Black Country with her partner, their bouncy Labrador and a swearing parrot.

She first discovered her love of writing at Junior School when actual lessons came second to watching other people and quietly making up her own stories about them. Her report card invariably read "Angela would do well if she minded her own business as well as she minds other people's".

After years of writing relationship based stories (My Name Is and The Middle Child) Angela turned to Crime, fictionally speaking of course, and developed a character that refused to go away.

She is signed to Bookouture.com in an 8 book deal.

You can find Angela Marsons on Facebook | Twitter | angelamarsons-books.com



2 comments :

  1. Lovely post. I love everything you write, Angie. So glad you got the Grease double album soundtrack. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely memory. I couldn't resist shaking and prodding christmas presents as a child.

    ReplyDelete