Christmas on Becca's Books | Christmas Reading Treats with Annie Lyons

~ Christmas Reading Treats ~

With Annie Lyons

Christmas Reading Treats

One of my favourite Christmas traditions along with legitimately eating chocolate for breakfast and wearing a novelty jumper is my family’s Christmas picture book tradition. Every year, I buy a new one for the collection and each evening from the 1st December onwards, we will read one or two together.

And because I like you, and it’s nearly Christmas, I’m going to share our absolute favourites right here, right now. I advise you to buy them at once for immediate festive delight.

The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore

We have the old edition from 1977 that I used to read with my Mum and Dad when I was little. I can remember studying Elisa Trimby’s illustrations as a child. They’re so old fashioned but very beautiful and we all love the line about Saint Nicholas having a belly, ‘like a bowl full of jelly’. Rhyming perfection and Christmas magic all wrapped up together.

The Jolly Christmas Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg

Another classic with illustrations which transport me back to childhood, as well as a festive story that bounces along so wonderfully. Every page has a novelty surprise too. My children loved this from the moment they could turn a page.

The Night Before The Night Before Christmas by Richard Scarry

I love Richard Scarry. I think his illustrations are the business. This is a brilliantly crazy take on the traditional story starring the chaotic Mr. Frumble as our hero, who has to rescue Santa and save Christmas for the folk of Busytown. He does it all by ‘sproinging’ along on his Skipickledoo (what else?) It’s a complete hoot and a real Christmas treat.

Grumpy Badger’s Christmas by Paul Bright and Jane Chapman

Everyone gets a little grumpy at Christmas and Badger is no different. I think I identify with him because I would quite like to hibernate over the winter but celebrating Christmas can be so much fun, if you just let yourself get into the spirit… The gorgeous illustrations and Badger’s shouting of the word, ‘Piffle’, on more than one occasion makes this a top pick in our house.

The Empty Stocking by Richard Curtis, illustrated by Rebecca Cobb

I am a huge fan of Richard Curtis and the story in this book is just about as good as it gets. It says everything you want to about a real family Christmas, sibling relationships and what it is to be good. The perfect Christmas story.

It just remains for me to wish you happy Christmas reading and a very Merry Christmas!


After leaving university, Annie Lyons decided that she 'rather liked books' and got a job as a bookseller on Charing Cross Road, London. Two years later she left the retail world and continued rather liking books during an eleven-year career in publishing. Following redundancy in 2009 she realised that she would rather like to write books and having undertaken a creative writing course, lots of reading and a bit of practice she produced Not Quite Perfect. She now realises that she loves writing as much as coffee, not as much as her children and a bit more than gardening. She has since written another two novels and is about to start work on her fourth. She lives in a house in south-east London with her husband and two children. The garden is somewhat overgrown. One day she hopes to own a chocolate-brown Labrador named John and have tea with Mary Berry.

You can find Annie Lyons on Facebook | Twitter | annielyons.com


Post a Comment