Christmas on Becca's Books | Christmas Memories by Elle Field

~ Christmas Memories ~

By Elle Field

It’s not unheard of that I can spend all day with my nose in a book, though on Christmas Day there’s always too much going on for me to do that. Which, is a shame, especially since I always get some cracking books for Christmas. Instead, I have to make do with a snatched fifteen minutes reading here and there.
That was not the case though on Christmas Day in 1999. Forget the Christmas blockbusters and the family game of Trivial Pursuit, the obligatory viewing of The Queen’s Speech or the EastEnders special – Christmas Day in 1999 was all about a book, and that book was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Two of my friends had bought me the first two books in the series for Christmas – though they didn’t matter as much as I’d already ready them earlier on that summer – but the third instalment in the series was completely fresh to me. As I tore open the wrapping paper to reveal the third book, it was pretty evident what I was going to be spending my day doing.
Way before the clock struck midnight and Christmas Day could become Boxing Day, I had devoured the book and, to me, in that moment it was one of the best books I’d ever read. Indeed, even to this day, it’s my favourite Harry Potter book, though I suspect that would probably have been the case if I’d read it one regular old Saturday – it’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, let’s face it!
Now, each time I reread it, I’m back on the sofa at my parents’ house, curled up reading it that Christmas Day back in 1999. That was a long time ago now, but it will always be a Christmas memory that sticks fondly, and firmly, in my head. Which, just goes to show, what power an awesome book has in creating a truly magical (Christmas) memory. 


Elle Field writes romantic comedies, and is the author of the Arielle Lockley series and Geli Voyante's Hot or Not. She grew up in Yorkshire, then moved to Scotland to study International Relations and Social Anthropology at the University of St Andrews.

Elle now lives in London with her boyfriend and their cat. She's a massive fan of sunshine, giraffes, The Killers, Audrey Hepburn movies, playing Scrabble and tea. Oh, and reading, of course! 

You can find Elle Field on Facebook | Twitter | ellefield.blogspot.co.uk


1 comment :

  1. Yey! Thank you for having me on the blog. Merry Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete