Christmas on Becca's Books | Christmas Memories by Amanda Prowse

~ Christmas Memories ~

By Amanda Prowse

I am a huge fan of Christmas. I still feel that thrill of the encroaching day and love the anticipation of us all being together. For me it’s all about family. Being surrounded by the people I love and who love me, has to be the best way to spend any day, and when you throw delicious food and a glass of plonk into the mix, what’s not to love?

As I get older, I find I now cherish the memories of Christmas celebrations past even more. How I wish I’d made more fuss of my Nan, as she sat on the sofa watching ‘Enders after her lunch with a paper hat askew on her head. How I long to hear my grandad tell me a crappy cracker joke one more time…

This time of year seems to put all life under the microscope, making the happy times happier and the sad, quite unbearable.

When I look back to Christmases of my childhood, it’s the disasters, failings and unexpected that make me smile the most. It was usually about midnight that my Mum realised she’d forgotten to take the turkey out of the freezer, or as happened one year, a promised bird turned up complete with head, feathers and feet. A couple of hours earlier in this bird’s life and we’d have had another pet to add to the menagerie. It was only when my brother stroked the drooping head and named him Brian that we resolved to go turkey free – we could hardly eat Brian could we?

One Christmas Eve, as the CD belted out Slade’s “Merry Christmas Everybody,” beer flowed among the uncles and in the cramped kitchen; sprouts were being peeled in readiness. My mum stooped to retrieve a leaf that lay on the carpet; only it wasn’t a leaf, but a small frog that had hopped in from the cold. She screamed; pitched forward in a blind panic and hurtled into the Christmas tree that collapsed on top of her. The dog barked, running around in circles, while the numerous children screamed and jumped on any available surface, not afraid, but loving this impromptu game of Christmas Pirates! My Nan meanwhile, sipped her cup of tea, adjusted her cardigan and reached for the remote control, simply turning up the volume of her favourite soap. A strolling troupe of Carolers trod the path, took one look at the mayhem that raged inside and promptly reversed in silence!

As a bookaholic I also love the flurry of festive literature that pops up at this time of year and love nothing more than to sneak a chapter or two of something to get me in the mood between peeling spuds and trying to work out how to fit three extra people around the table than we have space for. I have many favourites; Cecilia Ahern never fails to deliver, and I must confess to a weakness for Liam Neeson’s audio recording of The Polar Express – it’s lovely!

Right, off to put the sprouts on.

Thank you for having me Becca, sending love to you and all your lovely readers. Happy Christmas.
Mandy xxx
Amanda has always obsessively crafted short stories and scribbled notes for potential books. Six years ago, she quit her job as a management consultant and began writing full time. Her first book, Poppy Day is a contemporary novel following an army wife whose incredible love for her husband gives her the courage to set out to rescue him after he was taken hostage in Afghanistan. Originally self-published in October 2011, Poppy Day quickly became a bestseller and Amanda joined the prestigious Head of Zeus publishing house.
You can find Amanda Prowse on Facebook | Twitter | amandaprowse.org









Post a Comment