Christmas on Becca's Books | Memories of Christmas Day by Raven McAllan

~ Memories of Christmas Day ~

By Raven McAllan

Sixty odd years of snippets of Santa…

One of my earliest memories of Christmas day was as a very small child. I couldn’t have been much more than two years old when I was given a wooden horse and cart.


(we still have that Christmas bauble you can see)
Now I’m not sure if I remember it because of the photo or because I had it for yeas until the wheels fell off. Which resulted in a family saying still used to day about anything and everything…”Oh we had one of them, but the wheels fell off.”

Christmas was and still is to me, magical. I remember the waking up and the realisation that all of the waiting was over…as long as Santa had come. Then it was the slow, quiet, throw back the blankets, shiver in the cold air (very much pre central heating in those days) and fumble at the bottom of the bed to see if one of my dad’s socks had been filled.

I must have always been a good girl because it had. Then it was shout to my parents. “He’s been, can I come into your bed and show you?”

There was never a lot spent on the stocking presents. That wasn’t the point. An orange and a chocolate coin. A toy and a shiny new sixpence, and maybe a few sweets. A hankie or a new pencil and colouring book. Silly things but great fun to open.

Then it was time to go downstairs and see what, if anything Santa had left.

Mum would go first and light the fire. Dad would go next and then I was allowed to go into the front room—eyes shut until I was told—I could open them.

Then I could see boxes or squashy parcels wrapped up in bright Christmas patterned paper.

On one memorable occasion it was a two wheeled bike. As soon as it was light, I was out on it, dad helping me and riding up and down the street. As my birthday is two weeks before Christmas and I’d been very underwhelmed with my presents, I’d hoped a bike might be on the agenda, and there it was.

As I got older, presents changed of course, from wooden carts and bikes to records and clothes, and tickets to concerts. Nevertheless it was a tradition that I’d go into mum and dad’s room, with all three stockings and we’d open them before we went downstairs.

Fast forward several decades (lol) and I did the same with my children.  
I wrap and hide the presents. When we had cats, often with their help…


 We used old family traditions and added to them. Two presents under the tree each, to wonder what they were, and baubles and candy canes on the tree for the cats to bat at.

The robin on the bush outside waiting patiently for his fat ball.



 A stocking to open in our bed first thing in the morning and the don’t look until I say so admonishment from mum.

As a mum I love the wrapping, the hiding and eventually the revealing of everybody’s parcels. On Christmas morning, we take turns in opening them, with Christmas music on someone’s Ipod, the fire blazing away, and if we’re lucky, a snowy scene outside the window.

Nowadays our children are grown up and live away. But we still have them home for Christmas. After all as my daughter says, our traditions are ours as a family. And she rather likes the smoked salmon and champagne on Christmas morning.

Whatever you do for your celebrations, whatever and whenever they are, I hope you enjoy them.

Love Raven.

Raven lives in Scotland, along with her husband and their two cats--their children having flown the nest--surrounded by beautiful scenery, which inspires a lot of the settings in her books.

She is used to sharing her life with the occasional deer, red squirrel, and lost tourist, to say nothing of the scourge of Scotland--the midge.

Her very understanding, and long-suffering DH, is used to his questions unanswered, the dust bunnies greeting him as he walks through the door, and rescuing burned offerings from the Aga. (And passing her a glass of wine as she types furiously.)

You can find Raven McAllan on Facebook | Twitter | ravenmcallan.com


5 comments :

  1. aww, I got all over sentimental when I read this again. Thanks for letting me share my memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful post, Raven!
      And thank YOU for bringing your special memories over here!
      Becca xxx

      Delete
  2. Aw, I feel all christmassy now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Doris! Impossible not to after reading this!
      Thank you so much for stopping by.
      Becca xxx

      Delete