Christmas on Becca's Books | 'My Favourite Childhood Christmas Gift' by Carys Jones

~ My Favourite Childhood Christmas Gift ~

By Carys Jones

Growing up my house was always full of magic throughout December. Each night before I’d fall asleep my Mum would remind me that Santa would soon be on his way, bringing lots of presents on his sleigh. And like most children I’d already been thinking about those presents for what felt like an eternity.

I’d eagerly write to Santa at the end of September, listing everything I was hoping for. My Mum would tactfully offer to check the list for spelling mistakes and offer some advice; “Santa won’t fit that in the sleigh,” or “you’re really asking him for too much, he has to give everyone presents, remember?” 

Most years I was always lucky enough to get most of the things from my list. I was a real Barbie (and Sindy) girl growing up and couldn’t get enough dolls. But the toy which will always stand out for me as being the one I completely adored will be my Sylvanian Families Country Manor House. I’d already been warned that Santa might struggle to fit such a large box upon his sleigh so come Christmas morning when I ripped off the shiny bright paper from the package at my Gran’s house (since we always opened our presents there, as a family shoved in to her tiny bedroom with barely enough space to stand amongst all the gifts) I didn’t dare hope what might be inside. Yet there it was. The home for my precious Sylvanians which I’d been wishing for.

I remember being so impressed by the functional front door and toilet that made a flushing sound. I adored that house. It went pride of place in my bedroom on top of my chest of drawers and I had to be physically pulled away from it come Boxing Day when we were due to go and visit family. I had so much fun decorating the various rooms and making up stories about the Bear family who lived up on the hill (well, my chest of drawers).

I loved that house right up until I was sixteen and we were moving house. I made the difficult decision to box away my beloved mansion. Even now I can recall exactly where everything went. The ground floor was the kitchen, above that was the lounge, then the children’s bedroom with the bunk beds for the twins (Timmy, the little boy was always getting in trouble) and finally there was the bathroom with its flushing toilet. I’d invite relatives in to my room just to show them how the toilet made a flushing sound. 

The day I put the mansion back in its box it was just as beautiful as the day I’d first unpacked it. I cherished my toys as a little girl and always strived to keep them in top condition. 

Only last year my parents were cleaning out their garage and they found my boxed up Sylvanian mansion. They asked me what I wanted to do with it. My inner child was screaming for me to bring it home, set it up in my study and relive all my past adventures with the Bear family. But I wasn’t sure how my husband would feel about that. And so I gave the mansion away to a little girl in Japan who had been desperately wanting a grand house for her own Sylvanians.

I have to admit to shedding a tear the last time I saw my beloved mansion. I loved that gift. I must have spent hundreds of hours playing with it. The magic of Christmas lingered within its cream walls and brought so much joy to my life. I was so lucky that Santa had managed to fit it on his sleigh that fateful year : ) 

I’m not sure if anything will ever top such an amazing gift. But Santa, if you’re reading this I’ll settle for Leonardo DiCaprio beside my tree on Christmas morning, holding some mistletoe.


Carys Jones loves nothing more than to write and create stories which ignite the reader's imagination. Based in Shropshire, England, Carys lives with her husband, two guinea pigs and her adored canine companion, Rollo. 

When she's not writing, Carys likes to indulge her inner geek by watching science- fiction films or playing video games. 

She lists John Green, Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews as her favorite authors and draws inspiration for her own work from anything and everything. 

To Carys, there is no greater feeling than when you lose yourself in a great story and it is that feeling of ultimate escapism which she tries to bring to her books.


You can find Carys Jones on Facebook | Twitter | carys-jones.com






2 comments :

  1. Awww! What a wonderful story, and what a great way to pass the magic on. However, if I were you, I'd be more worried about what your husband thinks of Leonardo DiCaprio under a Christmas tree than what he thinks of your doll house XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Audrey I think you're right! xx

      Delete