Christmas on Becca's Books | 'My Top 5 Festive Films' by Joanne, Portobello Book Blog

~ My Top 5 Festive Films ~

By Joanne, Portobello Book Blog

Well there’s no question at all about my number one Christmas film – it’s also my favourite film ever. I absolutely love It’s A Wonderful Life starring the wonderful James Stewart. It’s been a film I’ve watched every year since I was a teenager when I first came across it on tv one cold winter’s day and watched it with my dad. I‘ve seen it so often I could act it out all the parts myself but it’s such a magical story. George Bailey, hard-working, loving, family-man, always puts others before himself finds himself in a serious situation on Christmas Eve when he faces jail for embezzlement. Naturally he hasn’t done anything and it’s the town bad-guy Mr Potter who has framed him. George thinks things would be better for his family if he’d never been born. His guardian angel Clarence (no wings yet, angel second-class) thinks it would be a good idea to show him what a difference he has made to his hometown of Bedford Falls. Instead of everyone being better off, George finds a changed town with greedy, unfriendly people. And worst of all, his family doesn’t exist. He begs to be taken back, whatever happens to him. But George is such a loved and respected character in town that everyone has rallied round to come to his help. The end moves me to tears no matter how often I watch it. And I watch it every year, now with my own children as well. The tradition continues!

Another favourite film is Love Actually. I love all the different interlocking stories, I love the music, I love the romance and the mostly happy endings. And yes I admit it - I am rather fond of quite a few of the male actors in it too!

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without a viewing of The Polar Express with my girls, now teenagers but, for now, happy to keep up this Christmas tradition. I think the animation or CGI or whatever it is, is amazing. I find it really funny when the train guard takes off his hat and is bald. Of course this is only funny because I know he’s based on Tom Hanks, who does so many of the voices in the film and it was such a surprise when I first saw the film. I particularly love the song over the end credits ‘Believe’ sung by Josh Groban.

Another favourite film isn’t really a Christmas film as such but Christmas features in it quite a lot - When Harry Met Sally. Again, a film I think I could act out myself and it has such a fantastic soundtrack. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are brilliant as the eponymous couple who are so clearly meant for each other but never quite get together. Until they do and it all goes horribly wrong! One of the last lines always brings a tear to my eye as well “when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” And there is the famous “I’ll have what she’s having restaurant scene!”

Difficult to pick the last one but I’ll have to go with The Snowman. It’s another beautifully made film – really a short tv adaptation of the book -  with lovely music including of course the atmospheric ‘Walking in the Air’. Always makes me long for a proper white Christmas where you can actually make a proper snowman. There’s lots of funny bits too like when the snowman uses different fruit for his nose! I’ve seen the ballet version of this too which is really good. The end is a bit sad though as the snowman melts away. 

You can find Joanne on Facebook | Twitter | portobellobookblog.com


4 comments :

  1. I couldn't agree more Joanne, I absolutely love It's A Wonderful Life and my daughter and I watched Love Actually last night. The only film I'd probably swap would be When Harry Met Sally for The Family Stone – a film I discovered a couple of years ago and still love to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm yet to see It's A Wonderful Life, Eva, but plan to very soon! It's proving to be a popular choice on everyone's Christmas movies lists!
      Thanks so much for stopping by.
      Becca xxx

      Delete
  2. I watch Polar Express every year with my son who is now 16. I was a bit worried that he wouldn't want to continue with the tradition this year, but he was adamant that we will be watching. Yaay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aurwh, I absolutely adore The Polar Express! Such a magical film, and never fails to get me in the Christmassy mood! I'm so happy your son has continued with the tradition, you're never too old for The Polar Express. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and thanks so much for stopping by.
      Becca xxx

      Delete