Christmas on Becca's Books | 'Thanks for the Memories' by Samantha Tonge

~ Thanks for the Memories ~

By Samantha Tonge

I shan't tell you exactly how many Christmasses I have experienced by now but, um, it is quite a few! So, of course, I have a large bank of memories - many happy, the occasional one sad and some funny. I'll share a few of them here:

At the last minute, one Christmas, due to family illness, it was down to me to cook dinner. I was in my early twenties and hadn't a clue. So I rang an old friend from university as I was completely flummoxed by the turkey and wasn't sure which end to stuff! My mate instructed me, whilst managing not to laugh, and it was the beginning of rekindling our friendship and - a couple of years later - getting married!

As a child I adored the festive season, and still get fuzzy feelings inside every time I hear Bing Crosby on the radio. Sadly, one year I had a bug and couldn't eat Christmas dinner. Instead, I was upstairs in bed and was suddenly sick. I proudly carried downstairs a bowl of vomit and paraded it around whilst guests ate their turkey dinner. Needless to say I was soon hurried out of the room!

Christmasses with small children are always a joy. Helping 'Santa' set out the presents the night before and leaving out a snack and drink for him on Christmas Eve. I'm not a fan of surprises myself, but nothing quite beats planning one for people you love. And I have happy memories of myself, at a young age too, proudly showing the presents Father Christmas had got me to Mum and Dad!

We always have plenty of pudding left over, to eat with cold custard and I served it up one year, and gave bowls to my husband and Dad. Husband bit into his first and pulled a face. I'd accidentally pulled the old Hollandaise sauce out of the fridge and poured that on instead!

A few days before Christmas, about ten years ago, I received the first rejection for my first ever novel. Tears flowed. Naively I thought that completing a novel was such an achievement, anyone would be pleased to publish it - I had a lot to learn!

Watching the festive top forty chart on TV was always a big event when I was younger - back in the day before videos, dvds, the internet and downloading music. It was a rare chance to check out your favourite band. Goodness - that makes me sound ancient!



Samantha Tonge lives in Cheshire with her lovely family and a cat that thinks it’s a dog. When not writing, she spends her days cycling and willing cakes to rise. She has sold over 80 short stories to women’s magazines. Her bestselling debut novel, Doubting Abbey, was shortlisted for the Festival of Romantic Fiction best Ebook award in 2014. Her summer 2015 novel Game of Scones hit #5 in the UK Kindle chart. 

You can find Samantha Tonge on Facebook |Twitter | samanthatonge.co.uk
You can find My Big Fat Christmas Wedding on -








Post a Comment