How To Get Ahead In Television by Sophie Cousens


Title - How To Get Ahead In Television
Author - Sophie Cousens
Publication Date - September 3rd 2015
Publisher - Corvus
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 312

Poppy Penfold desperately wants a career in television. After months of dead-end applications, she gets her big break with a temporary job as a runner for RealiTV. But to land a permanent role, Poppy will need to go head-to-head with fellow runner Rhidian: arrogant, highly competitive - and ridiculously good looking.

Poppy goes all out to impress, but somehow things don't go to plan. Whether failing to prevent a washed-up soap star from becoming roaring drunk during Scottish game show Last Clan Standing, or managing to scare the horses during the filming of Strictly Come Prancing, Poppy gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. With highly strung presenters and distractingly handsome producers in the mix, it's Poppy's determination that will see her win or lose her dream job, and maybe her dream man too...

I love it, absolutely love it, when I come across an author whose sense of humour matches mine so perfectly, because this results in me laughing my face off at all of the right moments and generally just having a blast while doing my favourite thing of all time - reading. I'd seen plenty of bloggers talking about How To Get Ahead In Television by Sophie Cousens, so it's fair to say that my interest was most definitely piqued. I couldn't wait to see what all the fuss was about and when Corvus shouted out to see who fancied a review copy, I rushed at the offer because I was seeing this novel everywhere. I'm so, so glad that I did, because honestly readers, it's been such a long, long time since a book made me laugh-out-loud this much, or had me cheering on the heroine with as much enthusiasm as I could muster.

Poppy Penfold was a heroine-and-a-half. Funny, a bit disastrous, but full of good intentions (mostly), she played the star role within this novel absolutely spot-on. Her passion and love for the world of TV excited me as the reader, and I wanted nothing more than for Poppy's dream job to become a reality, so when it did, I actually squealed out loud for her. It was exciting, Poppy was excited, I was excited, and I just couldn't wait to see what Sophie Cousens had in store for her leading lady. When I, as well as Poppy, realised that she'd be working against gorgeous but frustratingly arrogant Rhidian to get a permanent position within RealiTV, I knew she'd step up and take it on. I loved her determination, sense of humour and sarcastic bite-backs when needed. She made me laugh relentlessly, and the situations Poppy managed to find herself within this story had tears of laughter spilling down my cheeks. Amusement followed me right the way through my reading of this book, so much so I swear my cheeks were aching when I reached the end, obviously from all the smiling I'd done.

For the most part, the pace was nice and steady! It kept me turning those pages anyway, which is always good. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next for Poppy. The world of TV really was as exciting as she'd thought it would be, but also, just as treacherous. Each character Sophie introduced to the plot taught Poppy a lesson of some sort. It was believable and honest, hysterical at times, and full of mischief and shenanigans that had me entertained from beginning to end. As I began to near the end of this book, I turned those pages faster and faster, desperate to see who had won the race towards the permanent job with RealiTV at the end of the rainbow. After having been through so much during her time spent there, I was hoping and praying for Poppy. I believed that she'd definitely came through for the company, doing her absolute best to help out whenever she was needed, no matter what the consequences would be. This only went to show just how much Poppy wanted the position, and made me love her all the more.

With such a winning and original premise for a novel, something that I'm actually sure I haven't touched upon while reading, How To Get Ahead in Television by Sophie Cousens was a breath of fresh air in the fictional world. With side-splitting humour, an absolutely fantastic heroine, and an assault-course of a plot that had me glued to my Kindle, I really have no choice but to award this novel with FIVE of my scrummy cupcakes! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more from this author, and if this novel is anything to go by, then I'm seriously excited to see what Sophie comes up with next for her readers. Thank you, Sophie Cousens, for providing me with so much laughter! You are brilliant, and so was your book. Massive thanks to the wonderful Corvus for providing me with a review copy of How To Get Ahead In Television by Sophie Cousens.













Post a Comment