Monsterland by Michael Phillip Cash


Title - Monsterland
Author - Michael Phillip Cash
Publication Date - October 13th 2015
Publisher - Red Feather Publishing
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 208

Welcome to Monsterland - the scariest place on earth.

All guests can interact with real vampires in Vampire Village, be chased by an actual werewolf on the River Run, and walk among the dead in Zombieville.

Wyatt Baldwin, a high school student and life-long movie buff is staring bleakly at a future of flipping burgers. Due to a fortuitous circumstance, Wyatt and his friends are invited to the star-studded opening of Monsterland. In a theme park full of real vampires, werewolves, and zombies, what could possibly go wrong?

I won't say that I didn't like this book, because I did like it. If you know me at all, then you'll know that I love the weird and the wonderful! I love the unusual and the bizarre, so Monsterland, a theme-park full of zombies, werewolves and vampires, caught my eye. I genuinely thought that the idea behind this novel was a brilliant one, one that could really allow the author to go wild, and I do think Michael Phillip Cash did that. The theme-park itself was wonderful, but I feel that the plot lost it's way a little bit, about half-way in.

To begin with, Monsterland started off really well. I was excited for the moment when Wyatt and his friends would arrive at the theme-park, among some very important people who would be experiencing it on it's first day of opening. It all sounded brilliant, I especially loved the idea of the River Run, where the characters would be able to see werewolves up close. I understand for some this would just be too far of a stretch for the imagination, but I do so love giving mine free-run and this theme-park full of mythical creatures promised exactly that. So, it started off really well, the build-up only heightening my excitement, so much so that I was sorely tempted to skip through a couple of pages just to get to when they arrived (but I didn't, I don't like to spoil things for myself).

From the beginning, the author explained how the theme-park had come to exist, how the world had shifted, and even for a number of chapters, I was given an insight into the happenings from the creatures' point of view too, which was creative! I felt like there were lots of directions in which the author could turn, and looked forward to seeing what would happen to Wyatt and his friends once their visit to Monsterland was well under-way.

I have to say, I can't fault Michael Phillip Cash's descriptions in this novel. I loved them! It was all very dark and dangerous, and I had this overriding sense of something happening that would completely ruin the park's opening day. I found myself waiting to see what would go wrong first. A park full of prestigious guests, perhaps a creature or two breaking free, would be nothing but disastrous! I found the characters' exploration of the theme-park exciting, especially when they began finding their way about, riding the River Run a particular favourite of mine.

Despite such a massive build-up, and these brilliant descriptions, I just felt that the plot lost some of it's pull once I was about half-way through. The disasters were certainly disastrous, but I feel that I lost interest once things began to get hairy.

Even though my enjoyment waned, I'm still glad that I read it. If anything, it just went to show what a great imagination the author has, and I'd be interested to see what comes next.

Becca's Books is awarding Monsterland by Michael Phillip Cash with three cupcakes! Despite not loving loving loving this book, I can't say that I hated it, and wouldn't say no to seeing other work by this author.










Post a Comment