Book Review: Another Love by Amanda Prowse

Title - Another Love
Author - Amanda Prowse
Publication Date - January 16th 2016
Publisher - Head of Zeus
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via published via NetGalley)
Pages - 368
In the early years, she was happy.

Romilly had worked hard for her stunning, modern house in one of Bristol's most fashionable suburbs. She adored her gorgeous, gap-toothed daughter and her kind and handsome husband. Sure, life was sometimes exhausting - but nothing that a large glass of wine at the end of the day couldn't fix.

But then, as deep-buried insecurities surfaced, everything started to unravel. A glass of wine became a bottle; one bottle became two. Once, Romilly's family were everything to her. Now, after years of hiding the drinking, she must finally admit that she has found another love...

Another Love by Amanda Prowse was phenomenal. The first time I read one of Amanda's novels was when I read The Christmas Cafe just before Christmas, and I adored it. It was a beautifully told tale, with love and history weaved in and out of the chapters. I couldn't put it down. I'd like to say that Another Love caught me in exactly the same way, only I'd be lying if I did. Because Another Love caught me in a completely different way, and boy was it breathtaking. Before I go any further, I'd like to say a huge thank you to Amanda's publishers Head of Zeus, Amanda herself and Simeon, for providing me with a review copy of Another Love. I really am so grateful for the opportunity to read and review such a book.

In Another Love, Amanda introduces her readers to Romilly, Celeste and David. Rather than keeping to one narrative, Amanda chooses to split it between mother and daughter, Romilly and Celeste. I adored that Amanda chose to tell Romilly and Celeste's story in this way. Not only was it effective, sending all of my emotions tumbling, but it allowed me to see this heartbreaking story from both sides which is always something that I find interesting, and enjoyable when reading. As Amanda opens the novel, it becomes clear that Romilly really does have the most perfect life. It's everything she's ever wanted, and then some. She has the most adorable little girl, she has doting, handsome husband, and their home is beautiful. The fact that Romilly's life was so damn perfect only intensified the shattering of my heart later on in the novel when things began to get completely out of hand. It shocked to me see how Romilly's life changed so suddenly, and again, Amanda ensured Celeste's narrative crept in and out of the novel, allowing me to see everything from both sides. It was amazing, the story had my heart bending at it's will, and it's one that I truly won't be forgetting in a hurry, that I can promise you.

Focusing on alcoholism, Romilly's story was a harsh one, but one which I think needed to be told. Amanda's descriptions of the places Romilly managed to find herself in once she'd lost her way completely floored me, so stark and raw were they, and at times it became almost unbearable for me to read. The contrasts of Romilly's life before and after were painful, even more so because it happens every single day. Amanda really put my emotions through the shredder with this one. I was constantly hoping, no, praying, that finally, things were going to start looking up for Romilly, that she'd go home to her family and they'd work things out, but as Amanda quickly showed me, it really just wasn't that simple. The author did not hold back, but I felt this was necessary for me to really become invested in her characters, and I was. From the very beginning, I was right behind Romilly. I cheered her on, and even when she fell back down, I was certain she'd get back up. Not only was the focus on alcoholism, but Amanda shone the spotlight on Romilly's marriage and relationship with her daughter too. Again, this only intensified how strongly I felt towards these characters that Amanda had handed over to me. I knew them inside out. I was told of how Romilly and David had met, how she'd thought he was beautiful. I knew the intimacies between them, their shared inside jokes and names for each other. They really were in love, making it all the more painful when the novel took a turn for the worse much later on. Watching Romilly make her choices and decisions was a tough one for me, but it became clear much later on that those choices were made by a much stronger presence that she'd had no control over whatsoever.

This is only the second book by Amanda Prowse that I've read, and already I can feel myself becoming attuned to the author's voice and style. I adore it, and can't wait to go back and catch up with her previous releases. It was powerful, shocking, sob-inducing and all of the things in-between. It's a book that changes how you feel and look at things, how you perceive certain people in society. It's one woman's downfall that will tear your heart completely in two.

Becca's Books is awarding Another Love by Amanda Prowse with five gorgeous cupcakes. Amanda is a phenomenal author whose stories linger on within you long after you've finished reading. The women Prowse creates are the type you'd love to sit with and hear about their life. They're incredibly strong and have been through things you can't even comprehend. Amanda Prowse, please don't stop what you're doing. I could read your books for the rest of my life and find something new to marvel about.




   
















Post a Comment