Blog Tour - Book Review: Destination Thailand by Katy Colins (Double cover reveal, story of inspiration & review!)

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be shouting about my stop on the blog tour for Destination Thailand by Katy Colins. But this isn't just any blog tour stop. This is a blog tour stop RAMMED with beautiful things from fantastic Katy Colins, including a DOUBLE COVER REVEAL, finding out how Thailand inspired Katy's debut novel AND my review of Destination Thailand.

Phew! Exciting, right?


To kick things off, and because I'm such a SUCKER for a cover reveal, I'm beyond thrilled to be sharing with you today not one but two covers which belong to the next two books in Katy's The Lonely Hearts Travel Club series, Destination India and Destination Chile. Are you ready? Of course you are! Here they are in their full gorgeous glory!


*POPS PARTY POPPERS, SQUEALS, CLAPS HANDS, DOES A LITTLE TWIRL*
Aren't they beautiful? I, for one, cannot wait for both of these little beauties, in fact since reading Destination Thailand I've been craving more travel from the lovely Katy. Destination India arrives March 25th 2016 & Destination Chile arrives May 25th 2016, so it's not long to wait at all really! Excited? You definitely should be, because I just know that these two books are going to be stunning, and also make me want to jump on a jet-plane and head off on my travels.

So, *deep breath*. Now you've seen the two brand new covers, next up Katy Colins is joining me to share just how magical she found Thailand, and how it inspired her debut novel Destination Thailand.

~ The Magic of Thailand and How It Inspired My Debut Novel ~


When I made the decision to go to travelling on my own for the first time ever, I knew that Thailand was going to be my first destination on my South East Asia trip. I'd always envied others who'd come back with incredible photos of pure white shores, drooping palm trees and lush tropical jungles. I'd be desperate to hear their stories of what madness they got up to in Bangkok, the elephant sanctuaries they'd visited and swimming in turquoise waters that were as warm as a bath.

I wanted to experience all of that and more.



I ended up staying in Thailand for over two months, working my way up and down the country and island hopping as I met incredible people, ate mouth-watering dishes, saw stunning sights and most of all learnt to be by myself. After being jilted before my wedding and the end of a long relationship I needed to build up my confidence and bring back the fun happy-go-lucky Katy that had been lost.

Thailand and my subsequent travels helped me get back to me.


That is something I wanted to highlight in Destination Thailand. That sometimes you need to get lost to find yourself. To leave the life you knew behind and head for undiscovered lands in order to rediscover yourself and the person you want to be can be the most exciting and terrifying thing you will ever do. In the novel, Georgia Green has her fair share of mishaps to get through but the thing that makes her dust herself off time and time again is the underlying belief that she wants to get back to the person she was, only a shiny new and improved version.

There is something about putting yourself in a completely alien situation and knowing that whatever happens you are going to get through it. This is what travel does for me. It reinforces the skills and strengths I didn't realise I had. Being able to haggle a tuk tuk fare and make your way from A to B with only yourself to count on is liberating. The best bit of it all is being able to look back at how far you've come and the things you've learnt.

Of course it helps to go through this reinvention of yourself when sat on a picturesque sandy beach, feeling the sun warming your bare shoulders and hearing crashing waves or topical bird songs.

They call Thailand the land of smiles, well I think they may be right as whenever I think back to the time spent there I end up with the biggest cheesiest grin on my face. 




Title - Destination Thailand
Author - Katy Colins
Series - The Lonely Hearts Travel Club
Publication Date - January 21st 2016
Publisher - Carina UK
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 384
What if you had a second chance... to find yourself?

Instead of slipping on her something borrowed and tripping up the aisle to wedded bliss, Georgia spends her big day crying into a warm Sex-on-the-Beach, wondering where it all went wrong.

 Forced to make a bucket list of her new life goals by best friend Marie, it's not long before travel-virgin Georgia's packing her bags for a long-haul adventure to Thailand.

Yet, Georgia's big adventure doesn't seem to be going to plan. From strange sights, smells and falling for every rookie traveller scam in the book Georgia has never felt more alone.

But the good thing about falling apart is that you can put yourself back together any way you please. And new Georgia might just be someone she can finally be proud of...

This year, it's time to find the place where you truly belong...

Allow Katy Colins to whisk you away from the drizzly norm, to the humid and tropical shores of Thailand, alongside Georgia Green as she sets out to rediscover the very best parts of herself. This is exactly what happened when I began reading Destination Thailand by Katy Colins. Passionate travel blogger, and now Carina author, this is Katy's first book in The Lonely Hearts Travel Club series and I honestly couldn't have loved it more if I'd tried. In fact, the next book in the series Destination India cannot arrive quick enough for me.

In Destination Thailand, we're introduced to Georgia Green. After a disastrous end to her long-term relationship, she's suddenly lost and not sure of what her next move should be. So, after much persuasion from best friend Marie, Georgia creates a bucket list and sets out to tick off the things she's wanted to do for so long, but hasn't had the courage, or incentive, to do so. Dusting off the discouraging comments from family, and knowing in her heart it's the right thing to do, Georgia stumbles upon a place that appears to offer exactly what she's after. A getaway, far from the memories and her ex's new girlfriend, where she can hopefully find the old Georgia. And so, the adventures in Thailand begin...

And what fantastic adventures Georgia sets upon! From the moment she arrives, the author delivers this new, exciting setting the most gorgeous of ways. Katy's descriptions are so vivid and fresh, so much so that I could just imagine myself walking alongside Georgia and taking in the sights and smells right beside her. From the palm trees to the tropical flowers, it was a tantalising treat for the senses which the author got spot-on, ensuring I was transported there myself.

Despite the setting being brought to life so fantastically, to me, Georgia Green made this wonderful novel what it was. I loved everything about her character. The fact that she'd been let down so tragically is something I think a lot of readers are able to relate to at one point or another, myself included, so I was able to sympathise and warm to Georgia's character instantly. I was outraged on her behalf in regards to the circumstances that had befallen her, and this only goes to show how much heart and soul went into her character from the author. I knew, without a doubt, that a trip to Thailand was exactly what Georgia needed, and I was wholly satisfied when Katy delivered this. I was excited to follow Georgia on her adventures, to discover what mishaps would befall her when she arrived, and I was delighted. Not only because of where Georgia ends up treading, but because of the entertaining cast of characters who are beside her on these adventures. From falling beneath the spell of a handsome hunk and losing her belongings, to visiting an animal sanctuary and giving someone a taste of their own medicine, it was fun, fun, fun beneath the Thailand sun!

But it isn't all fun and games for dear Georgia Green. Oh no. As she goes on her way, she learns some very important lessons and begins to find the pieces of herself that she'd thought she'd lost back home. Not only that, but the help of a new friend comes in handy and steers Georgia back in the right direction when she accidentally stumbles off-course. It's beautifully enriching, eye-opening and soul-capturing, and a tale of one young woman who goes in search of herself when she needs it the most. With the support of her best friend, new friends, and not-so-much friends, Georgia Green is on a mission, and I loved reading about every single part of it. It's escapism at it's best, and oh-so-tempting when it comes to encouraging you to pack your own bags and jet off too. It's a story full of surprises, and twists and turns, and taking chances, even when you don't feel brave enough to do so.

Becca's Books is awarding Destination Thailand by Katy Colins with five gorgeous cupcakes. I adored this book, and I'm thrilled that it's part of a series. A series which I am now seriously looking forward to. I feel like I need to get prepared for some fictional globe-trotting with Georgia Green and I cannot wait!



Katy Colins completed her first novel 'A Dog's Tale' at the age of 11 which received rave reviews... from her granddad and English teacher. This was just the encouragement she needed to carry on writing.

As a qualified journalist with articles published in Company Magazine and The Daily Star she crossed sides to work in Public Relations before selling all she owned to backpack solo around South East Asia and finally put her thoughts into words, writing as she travelled.

Katy currently lives by the sea in France where she is on a one woman mission to educate the French about the necessity and technicalities of making a good cup of tea. When she is not writing about romance, travel and adventure, she loves travelling, catching up with family and friends and convincing herself that her croissant addiction isn't out of control - just yet.

You can find Katy Colins on Twitter | notwedordead.com


















1 comment :

  1. Wow wow wow. Sounds and looks like an amazing place. I haven't read anything by this author but have added these to my wish list. Great review x

    ReplyDelete