Book Review: The Girl In The Ice by Robert Bryndza

Title - The Girl In The Ice
Author - Robert Bryndza
Publication Date - February 12th 2016
Publisher - Bookouture
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 347

Her eyes are wide open. Her lips parted as if to speak. Her dead body frozen in the ice... She is not the only one.

When a young boy discovers the body of a woman beneath a thick sheet of ice in a South London park, Detective Erika Foster is called in to lead the murder investigation.

The victim, a beautiful young socialite, appeared to have the perfect life. Yet when Erika begins to dig deeper, she starts to connect the dots between the murder and the killings of three prosititutes, all found strangled, hands bound and dumped in water around London.

What dark secrets is the girl in the ice hiding?

As Erika inches closer to uncovering the truth, the killer is closing in on Erika.

The last investigation Erika led went badly wrong... resulting in the death of her husband. With her career hanging by a thread, Erika must now battle her own personal demons as well as a killer more deadly than any she's faced before. But will she get to him before he strikes again?

Change is a'foot, my friends. Change is a'foot. The girl who once only read and adored romance (that's me), now cannot get enough of psychological/crime thrillers, and by 'cannot get enough', I mean that I'm staying up way past my bedtime to finish them. This was indeed the case when it came to reading The Girl In The Ice by Robert Bryndza. Since Bookouture revealed the title and cover, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and once I finally did get my hands on it, I really couldn't get bear to take them off!

The Girl In The Ice by Robert Bryndza follows Detective Erika Foster as she and her team attempt to track and hunt down a serial killer on the loose, who seems to have a bit of a strange fascination with water. As the body count increases, and a grim case from years before is dug up, Erika Foster tries to unravel and piece together the clues that will hopefully lead her in the right direction to catch this crazed killer.

First thing's first. I loved Detective Erika Foster. She was bad-ass, followed and trusted her instincts, and didn't take s*** from nobody. Robert created such a strong and powerful force within Erika's character, driven forward by a tragic past that was still plaguing her now, and it's no surprise that it was really, given all that happened. Despite feeling in awe of Erika, and sympathetic towards her at the same time, I really tried to reel the sympathies in because I imagined her as one of those characters who would not appreciate it and tell me to shut up. Robert revealed these deeper depths of Erika to me gradually throughout the novel, ensuring she remained enough of a mystery to keep me interested, and interested I certainly was. Determined and brave when it came to her work, Erika Foster was an unstoppable force, and a force to truly be reckoned with. If she didn't feel right about something, she'd let you know. And if she thought that something would help in her mission to reveal the truth, then she would go for it, whether it put her in danger or not. She took chances and risks before even considering the consequences and quite simply, she's definitely one of my favourite female characters from the crime thriller genre.

When the novel opens, Robert reels us in with a considerably grim scene, the pace punchy. This is kept up right the way through The Girl In The Ice, speeding up when things begin to simmer to the surface that help pave the way for Erika, so much so that I couldn't bear to turn away for a single second. The atmosphere, too, was something that only added to my sheer enjoyment of this book. It was dark, and at times, oppressive. Tense and addictive, like a drug. Robert's style is oh-so-delicious, every sentence and paragraph strung together so neatly and tightly, it was smooth as play-dough for me to read. The police procedures and the secondary characters were spot-on too. Moss and Peterson particularly taking the limelight for me.

As the case Erika works upon is slowly picked apart, piece by piece, I fell deeper and deeper into the plot. There were twists and turns aplenty, sickening discoveries and side-paths Erika travelled down that led to more clues as to where she should go next. Robert constructed his plot absolutely brilliantly, ensuring no stone was left unturned and no character left unquestioned. The ruthlessness of Erika Foster, although un-liked by some, was really the undoing of the mystery behind the case of The Girl in the Ice, and I really couldn't have loved it any more if I'd tried.

Deceptive and riveting, this was such a flawless beginning for Robert Bryndza and Detective Erika Foster. I really can't recommend it enough, and the second novel in the Detective Erika Foster series The Night Stalker will definitely be highly anticipated by the Becca's Books corner! This book will have you looking over your shoulder, just to make sure you really are alone. I think it's fair to say that Becca's Books is awarding The Girl In The Ice by Robert Bryndza with five gorgeous cupcakes. I'd read this again in a heartbeat.



  









1 comment :

  1. Oh boy, does this sound intense! I just finished reading Dreaming of Babylon yesterday which is my favorite mystery/detective novel, and I'm kind of hungering for more...you have to love these stories where the socialites and the ladies of the night are all dragged into the same twisted plot...great review! Also, the new look of the blog feels really crisp and hip. I have been so busy, I miss reading all my favorite book blogs <3

    ReplyDelete