Why I'll be a reader for the rest of my life.

Today on Becca's Books, I'm sharing a little post of my own, which I haven't done for quite some time so I'm feeling really excited to let loose on this one. Please forgive me if I begin to ramble, it's not intentional, but rather like word-vomit. It just keeps on coming. Lovely image there, Rebecca. Off to a thrilling start...

I'm not 100% sure of when I decided to become a reader. Did I even decide anyway? Did I have a choice in it? In fact, I'm not even sure of what qualifies to make you a reader. What do you think? Do you think you're a fully-fledged reader once you've passed a certain amount of books? Are you a reader when that moment hits, while your nose is stuck between the pages and you think to yourself, "Gosh, reading's actually rather brilliant, isn't it?". Are you a reader from birth? Are you a reader the moment you pick up your first ever book? I don't know for sure, because to me it feels like reading has always been a huge part of my life, for as far back as I can remember, and I love knowing that I'll remain as one for the rest of my life. So today, I'm going to share my ten reasons as to why I'm going to be a life-long lover and adorer of books, beautiful books. And please feel free to share your own reasons too, I would love to read them!

1. I will never, ever, ever be bored.
I used to hate it when people would say that books were boring. I'm not too fussed now, because I know that everyone has their own way of finding entertainment, whether that be through books, movies, music, days out or nights out. But for me, knowing that I have books piled here and there means I never have to worry about being bored, because you just can't be bored when you have a book, can you? Who knows what lies within those pages! Even just typing it now, the thought of it, gets me excited, because the adventures to be had are endless! Am I going to fall in love, or am I going to have my heart broken? Perhaps I'll travel the world, go shopping in New York, step alongside a detective as we unravel a mystery together. Who knows, guys? Who knows? And that's just the tiniest, tiniest fraction of the stories waiting to be jumped into. I know that whether I'm sat on the bus, in a waiting room, waiting for half-past to arrive before meeting a friend, I will always have the company of a good book by my side, and that's comforting to me, as odd as it may sound. It really is.

2. Books aren't just for fun, they're also about learning.
Sure, I read because I love it, but you know those books that you come across that really open your eyes wide to the sharp and raw things out there in the big wide world? Like addiction and illness? Grief and sorrow? Just a couple of days ago, I read Another Love by Amanda Prowse, and my God, did it get right beneath my skin. It was intense and heartbreaking,  and a book I won't be forgetting in a hurry. Focusing on alcoholism, it was a tough and painful read but, I think, a necessary one too. I can't forget to mention Alice Peterson's novel Right By My Side here. Another story which made me aware of so many things I hadn't before known of. It's amazing when a book does that. Not only gives a whole new world to discover and characters to meet, but immeasurable amounts of food for thought that keep your mind ticking over long after you turn the final page.

3. Reading connects me to people all over the world.
Through my book blogging, I have met some of the most amazing people, whether they be book bloggers themselves, authors or readers. Before I began blogging, I had no idea just how many readers there were out there. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Through the use of social media, I'm able to reach out to them, and them to me, and we can talk books all day, all night. Reading reviews, striking up conversations, and finding like-minded people is a wonderful experience, and an experience which I feel I can only thank books for, so thank you lovely books!

4. Reading is perfect for when you're feeling low.
We all have our low days. All of us. Myself included. I always find that a good book and cup of a tea works wonders on me though. I open those pages and slip inside, disappearing from whatever's troubling me for a little while, and by the time I come back up for air, it's fair to say my troubles don't seem as big as they did before I started. I don't know what it is... Perhaps the break from the thoughts flying about in my mind, as they're replaced with my imagination following the author's words? Who knows? Books have always seemed magical to me, capable of a number of things, and making myself feel better being only one of them. The perfect pick-me-up? I think so!

5. You can take stories ANYWHERE!
Whether that be a Kindle or a physical book, you're never alone. They slip inside bags and sit in hands so easily, it's like they're a match made in heaven. Take them to Thailand! Take them to Bora Bora! Take them to Yorkshire! Take them to the pub down the road! It really is amazing how something so HUGE fits so neatly into a paperback, or onto whichever reading device you choose to use, so we should definitely make the most of it and take books everywhere we go, just because we can, and because we want to. Obviously.

6.  Books allow you to travel the world, and travel through time!
And you don't even need a passport! I think this is definitely one of my favourite things about reading. Maybe one day I'll go to the places I'd love to visit, but let's say I don't, the chances are that I'll visit them at some point within the books I read. God, I've fallen in love with so many stunning places thanks to reading. One of my all-time favourites has to be Rosanna Ley's The Villa. In fact, that novel is the reason why visiting Sicily, Italy, is even on my list in the first place. So vibrant in description, from the food to the scenery, Rosanna delivered this setting so spectacularly to me, I felt as if I'd travelled to the real thing. Isn't it incredible how authors can do that to you? I've been to New York, I've been to Hawaii, I've been to San Francisco. I'll never tire of visiting places through the books I read. When you sit and think about it, it's actually a pretty amazing thing to do. And let's not forget the time travel! Historical fiction is something I adore to dip into, especially by the likes of Charlotte Betts and Kathleen McGurl. While I sit, surrounded by mobile phones, wi-fi, cars, new gadgets and all manner of techie things, I'm transported back to a time before any of that was even invented! Now tell me, is that, or is that not, incredible?

7.   Reading helps you to grow as a person.
It does, you know. Believe it or not, books, all of them, each have something valuable within them. You'll come across something, a phrase perhaps, and you'll just stop there and then, because it resonates with you so beautifully, makes you think of something or maybe even someone. I love those moments. There's nothing else in the world quite like them. Books can change your views on a whole wide range of subjects, can change how you feel, even your outlook on life. They're pretty special, I promise.

8. In books, you've seen it all.
There really is no holding back when it comes to fiction, and isn't that just the best news ever? There is nothing like giving your imagination a bloody good workout, stretching it right to its limitations. There are so many genres, so many sub-genres, the possibilities really are endless. From thriller to horror, from romance to historical, whatever you feel like you're in need of, books are there. Trust me, they've got you.

9. You really won't ever be alone.
Let's just think about it for second. How many books are there in the world? How many characters within each book? That's like, 5395255395277 characters who you're still to meet. Emotional characters. Grumpy characters. Flirty characters. Shy characters. Just about every single type of character you could wish to meet is waiting somewhere within a book to meet you, and whenever you're alone, you can be sure you'll be able to meet someone new!

10. I want to pass this magic on. And on. And on.
It's true, I do. Two of my younger sisters are already avid readers and I love that so much. I love it when they tell me about a book that they've read and enjoyed. They're so passionate about it already, and honestly? It makes me proud as punch. I want to pass this love on, perhaps to my own future children. I want them to see what I see when I spot a dusty book, sat lonely a shelf. That no, it's not just a collection of pages full of words that don't mean a thing. It's a piece of magic. Give it a chance. Open it up. Take a look inside. I promise it's worth it...







6 comments :

  1. This just made me love books even more if that's even possible. First time on your blog and I will be back.

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Becca, and I agree with all that you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You learn something from every character you read about and sometimes you can literally feel how big the impact they had on you was and it's so beautiful! I really love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant post. Whenever I meet someone who says, 'Oh, I don't read,' my (usually poorly concealed) reaction is akin to them having said, 'Oh, I don't laugh/dream/breathe.' No matter how tough life gets, there's always a book for comfort, escape and inspiration. And one of my favourite things about being a mum is seeing my children fall in love with books. My daughter (nearly two) is hooked, and this morning my son (seven) was so excited to go spend his £2 from the tooth fairy on a new book! Thanks for sharing this, Becca. :)

    ReplyDelete