Blog Tour: Review - Song of the Sea Maid by Rebecca Mascull

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be sharing my review of Rebecca Mascull's Song of the Sea Maid as part of the blog tour.


Title - Song of the Sea Maid
Author - Rebecca Mascull
Publication Date - February 11th 2016
Publisher - Hodder Paperbacks
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 320

In the 18th century, Dawnay Price is an anomaly. An educated foundling, a woman of science in a time when such things are unheard-of, she overcomes her origins to become a natural philosopher.
Against the conventions of the day, and to the alarm of her male contemporaries, she sets sail to Portugal to develop her theories. There she makes some startling discoveries - not only in an ancient cave whose secrets hint at a previously undiscovered civilisation, but also in her own heart. The siren call of science is powerful, but as war approaches she finds herself pulled in another direction by feelings she cannot control.

Song of the Sea Maid is the first novel by Rebecca Mascull that I've had the pleasure of reading, although I do have a gorgeous copy of her first book The Visitors waiting patiently on my bookshelf. It constantly catches my eye whenever I pass by my desk and I really hope to get to it soon, because after reading Song of the Sea Maid and falling so very deeply in love with Mascull's style, characters and truly brilliant voice, I feel that I'm in for a splendid treat.

Rebecca Mascull's Song of the Sea Maid follows the tale of Dawnay Price, from living alongside her brother on the streets of a filthy 18th century London who is snatched up in the thick of the night, leaving her alone and scared, to her travels far, far away. As soon as the character of Dawnway was introduced to me, although she is given this name rather than owning it from birth, I absolutely and utterly adored her. There was something incredibly strong and vibrant about the young girl, something that far outshone the dirt and dust she is shrouded in on the night her brother is taken away from her. Mishaps lead to Dawnay Price being taken to an orphanage and there, beneath the watchful eye of Matron, she falls into a strict routine beside the other children. Not one to stick to the rules, Dawnay's mind has long outgrown the minds she's surrounded by and it quickly becomes clear to those around her too. She is clever, desperate to have her education lengthened and made the most of. There was a certain stubbornness about her that reminded of myself in some ways. She stuck so firmly to her beliefs, it was impossible for her to be swayed once she'd made her mind up. From beginning to end, despite not having the most appealing characteristics at first sight, I'm certain that Dawnay will remain with me for a very long time to come. Not just your average heroine, there's something seriously special about her and even though I spent my time while reading this book with Dawnay, it still didn't feel like enough.

Packed with juicy slithers of historical information and alternating themes, there was so much for me to sink my teeth into while reading Song of the Sea Maid by Rebecca Mascull. Threaded throughout this beautiful tale were so many wonderful aspects of life! How to be brave and bold being just two of them. There's travel, discovery, hardship and the determination to come through and succeed. Rebecca Mascull took me back in time, and from there took me on an incredible journey that I won't be forgetting in a hurry. Enticing, rich and vibrant with such fantastically put-together characters to guide my way, it was an absolute pleasure to read this novel, and I really can't wait to read more from Mascull. This is storytelling of the highest quality, I utterly adored it.

Becca's Books is awarding Song of the Sea Maid by Rebecca Mascull with five of my bookish stars! I fell in love with Mascull's style from only the first couple of pages and have been left with a taste for it. An absolutely beautiful tale.

 I'd like to thank Hodder and Rebecca Mascull for providing me with a review copy of Song of the Sea Maid in exchange for a fair and honest review.


Hello there and thanks for reading my author bio! I'm thrilled to be on Amazon and want to say thanks to all those kind souls who take the time to put helpful reviews on here.

My first novel THE VISITORS (2014) tells the story of Adeliza Golding, a deaf-blind child living on her father's hop farm in Victorian Kent. My second novel SONG OF THE SEA MAID (2015) is set in the C18th and concerns an orphan girl who becomes a scientist and makes a remarkable discovery. Both are published by Hodder & Stoughton.

You can find Rebecca Mascull on Facebook | Twitter




   







1 comment :

  1. Sounds like a book with truly strong characters. The title sounds so fantasy, the blurb sounds so reality, and I get the feeling that the book itself is an inspiring blend of fantastic events. "Natural philosopher" is such an interesting concept from that transitional time before "science" was so commonplace. Dawnway sounds like my kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete