Blog Tour: Review - What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile

Today on Becca's Books, I'm absolutely thrilled to be sharing my review of What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile as part of the blog tour.

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US


Title - What She Never Told Me
Author - Kate McQuaile
Publication Date - March 3rd 2016
Publisher - Quercus
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 252

Blurb
I talked to my mother the night she died, losing myself in memories of when we were happiest together. But I held one memory back, and it surfaces now, unbidden. I see a green postbox and a small hand stretching up to its oblong mouth. I am never sure whether that small hand is mine. But if not mine, whose?
Louise Redmond left Ireland for London before she was twenty. Now, more than two decades later, her heart already breaking from a failing marriage, she is summoned home. Her mother is on her deathbed, and it is Louise's last chance to learn the whereabouts of a father she never knew.
Stubborn to the end, Marjorie refuses to fill in the pieces of her daughter's fragmented past. Then Louise unexpectedly finds a lead. A man called David Prescott . . . but is he really the father she's been trying to find? And who is the mysterious little girl who appears so often in her dreams? As each new piece of the puzzle leads to another question, Louise begins to suspect that the memories she most treasures could be a delicate web of lies.

Review
When I was first contacted about What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile, the title was enough to intrigue me. What, exactly, had Louise Redmond not been told? I wondered repeatedly after reading the blurb. Immediately, a million and one scenarios began firing through my mind. I love it when reading merely a book's title can do that to you as the reader. It's exciting, thrilling and, quite simply, I couldn't wait to begin.

And when I did begin, man was I blown away. Kate McQuaile unravels Louise's story slowly but surely, teasing the reader into this huge mystery that's simmering in the air around her right the way through the book. Curious as to the identity of her real father, Louise always wondered about him but found her mother to be unwilling to share anything with her. Instantly, this fact caught my attention and I couldn't let it go. It was as if my senses suddenly became heightened and I wanted to dig deeper into Louise's mother's reluctance. So, when she passes away and Louise suddenly has no one left who can answer her questions for her, she decides to head back to Ireland to find the missing pieces for herself. What she finds, at the end of a tricky, intricate road to discovery, rocks her, and the reader, to their very core.

First thing's first. The characters. I absolutely loved Louise, and found myself connecting to her on a much deeper level when it came to wanting to know about her father. I myself was in this position once upon a time, although luckily for me, my answers were provided. The complete opposite happens for Louise, and I felt immense frustration on her behalf. There is nothing worse than wanting to have some answers when there's no one there to provide them, and when Louise found herself in this position, I could have screamed. For me, I could understand Louise's need to find her father. I really can. I believe it's only natural to want to know where you came from, and this is all Louise wanted, so I was unsure as to why her mother wouldn't share the details. Of course, this all becomes clear much later on into the novel, and trust me when I say that the wait is oh-so-worth it. Besides the urge to find her father, Louise was a well-developed character who I found incredibly interesting. There were so many layers to this woman, so many different aspects of her to investigate. But the one thing I couldn't leave alone was the recurring dream and memories Louise experienced of a small girl posting a letter through a letterbox, outside in the cold. As the story progresses, it taunts Louise, as if begging her to pay a little more attention to it, and pay attention she does. There's something she can't quite put her finger on about the memory, and when it begins returning more and more, she's sure that it's trying to tell her something. Is she right? Or is it all just part of her imagination? It was a delicious mystery, all wrapped up with a teasing, tangling bow.

I found this novel addictive from beginning to end. In fact, I didn't dare to put it down for fear of missing something. As new characters were introduced to the plot, new facts and new destinations, I was pulled further and further into this new avenue of Louise's life that she'd never even known existed. Kate McQuaile ensured my interest didn't wane once. There was twists and turns aplenty, red herrings and false alarms. It was enough to drive me wild. I couldn't get enough of Louise's discoveries and hoped against hope that before I turned the final page, all would be revealed and that I wouldn't be left hanging. I'm not sure I would have been able to cope with that in this instance. To my relief, Kate McQuaile ties up this story absolutely flawlessly, leaving me with no choice but to sit in silence for a good few minutes afterwards to gather my thoughts.

Exceptionally written with a stunning twist, and exploring themes alongside this like Louise's failing marriage, this was a novel to truly get my teeth into. Packed with mystery, secrets and the desire to keep on turning those pages, I loved What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile. To me, this story had it all and then some. I was captivated from page to page and completely wrapped around the author's finger as her storytelling took hold of me. It was fantastic.

Becca's Books is awarding What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile with five of my bookish stars. I can't wait for the next offering from this new-to-me author. Kate McQuaile has such style to her gripping storyline, I can only wait patiently for her next book. Special thanks to Quercus for providing me with a review copy of What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile.

You can find Kate McQuaile on Twitter

Be sure to keep up with the rest of the stops on the blog tour!








  














Post a Comment