Time to Say Goodbye by S.D. Robertson

Title - Time to Say Goodbye
Author - S. D. Robertson
Publication Date - February 11th 2016
Publisher - Avon
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 400

How do you leave the person you love the most?

Will Curtis's six-year-old daughter, Ella, knows her father will never leave her. After all, he promised her so when her mother died. And he's going to do everything he can to keep his word.

What Will doesn't know is that the promise he made to his little girl might be harder to keep than he imagined. When he's faced with an impossible decision, Will finds that the most obvious choice might not be the right one.

But the future is full of unexpected surprises. And father and daughter are about to embark on an unforgettable journey together...

Time to Say Goodbye by S.D. Robertson was a moving, tender novel that focused on the special bond between father and daughter, even after a life has ended unexpectedly. I'd like to say a huge thank you to Avon for providing me with a review copy of this novel in exchange for a fair and honest review.

In Time to Say Goodbye by S.D. Robertson, readers are introduced to Will Curtis and his six year old daughter, Ella. After having his life end suddenly, Will is left trying to figure out a way to make Ella able to see him, despite no longer being around in the physical sense. Floating about between life and death is torturous for Will, especially considering the promise he made to Ella after she lost her mother. Now parent-less, Ella is with her grandparents and Will watches from the side as his daughter tries to come to terms with the loss of her father, while being unable to help her.

I adored the premise of this book. When Avon began to bring it forward into the spotlight, I thought it sounded beautiful and couldn't wait to begin. I've read a couple of books in the past focused on the same sort of theme as S. D Robertson chooses to explore, both of which have been from the mother's point of view so I was eager to see things from the father's side this time round. I've always thought this situation heartbreaking. Leaving a child behind, watching them continue with life and not being able to guide them or be by their side, and that was quite the case within Time to Say Goodbye. With Ella only being six, my heart broke for her, and for Will when he couldn't comfort or console his daughter after his own death. S. D. Robertson portrayed greatly how frustrating it was for father not being able to reach daughter. It was clear that the bond between Will and Ella had been a very special one. Ella was always at the forefront of Will's mind, and that was very much the case right the way through the novel. It warmed me right to my very soul!

For me, I felt the pace was a bit slow at times but this didn't put me off reading right until the very end as I was desperate to see in which way the author would leave his characters. There were a few characters I wasn't one hundred percent sure needed to be in the plot and, much later on, it took a turn I really wasn't expecting it to, involving Will's mother and father. I found the moments where Will could be witness to secret conversations intriguing and S. D. Robertson peppered the story with a few hooks that I really wanted to find out more about, i.e. mysterious characters turning up out of the blue and I had no idea who they were or what they were doing there. It was a story that took me by surprise a few times, and I have to admit to not enjoying the side stories as much as the main one which focused solely on Will and Ella.

Overall, this was a tender, warm, and wonderfully written novel about heartbreak, letting go, and trusting that your loved ones will be okay without you. Becca's Books is awarding Time to Say Goodbye by S.D Robertson with four stars. I'm looking forward to what this author brings to his readers next.




















Post a Comment