Book Review: The Cosy Teashop in the Castle by Caroline Roberts

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US


Title - The Cosy Teashop in the Castle
Author - Caroline Roberts
Publication Date - February 25th 2016
Publisher - HarperImpulse
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 257

Blurb
When Ellie Hall lands her dream job running the little teashop in the beautiful but crumbling Claverham Castle, it’s the perfect escape from her humdrum job in the city. Life is definitely on the rise as Ellie replaces spreadsheets for scones, and continues her Nanna’s brilliant baking legacy.
When Lord Henry, the stick-in-the-mud owner, threatens to burst her baking bubble with his old-fashioned ways, Ellie wonders if she might have bitten off more than she can chew. But cupcake by cupcake she wins the locals over, including teashop stalwart, Doris, and Ellie’s showstopping bakes look set to go down in castle history!
Now all that’s missing in Ellie’s life is a slice of romance – can Joe, the brooding estate manager, be the one to put the cherry on the top of Ellie’s dream?

Review
I know, I know. I should have learnt by now that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but when it's a cover that looks like this, how can I not? And with such a delectable title to go hand in hand with it, then my mind pretty much makes itself up. I could not wait to begin reading The Cosy Teashop in the Castle by Caroline Roberts. Everything about this book sang to me! The teashop. The fact that it was located within a castle. Ellie's love of baking. The fact that she was determined to chase down her dream. I adored it all. And so when it finally landed on my Kindle, I began with tons of excitement.

Ellie Hall was a fabulous character for Caroline to create as her heroine. There is nothing I love more than a woman with a dream. A woman who is a go-getter, ambitious and despite being afraid of failure, does not allow it to overrule her. Those descriptions describe Ellie Hall perfectly. She was fantastic. Charismatic and thoroughly enjoyable to read about. So when a lease becomes available at Claverham Castle, to rent and run the teashop within throughout the busy periods of the year, I couldn't help but to fist-pump the air and yell, "Go Ellie!" Let's be real. How often does the chance to make your dream come true come along? I knew she had to go for it, and was thrilled when, after a rather bumpy interview, Ellie's phone rang to inform her that she was the new leaseholder.

And this is where Ellie's story truly begins. Claverham Castle and the teashop itself charmed me immediately. It was such a wondrous backdrop to have Ellie's adventure unravel in and I couldn't have loved it anymore if I'd tried. With the castle grounds, aged rooms and entertaining characters, it left a lasting impression on me, and I would visit the teashop in the blink of an eye if I could! Over the months that follow Ellie's arrival in the castle and teashop, we are able to see Ellie as a character grow and develop, and tackle the bumps that inevitably follow any new path in life.

The theme of pursuing your dreams is threaded throughout this book. hanEllie works hard, and barely takes time out for herself, so desperate is she for the teashop to work. With the memory of her nanna never far behind, she takes to the teashop like a duck to water, despite a few hurdles along the way, and watching this happen was brilliant. There's also the added bonus of handsome Joe to look forward to, who I had a feeling Ellie would just not be able to resist. There was so many fabulous characters to get to know, so many delicious cakes on offer, and so many decisions for our lovely Ellie to make.

Overall, I adored spending time in the cosy teashop in the castle. Not only has Caroline Roberts created a truly dreamy setting, but her characters and bonds are second to none. This was wonderfully uplifting, full of hope and dreams and never giving up on them. A perfect read to while away the afternoon with, just have a cuppa and a slice of cake handy too!

Becca's Books is awarding The Cosy Teashop in the Castle by Caroline Roberts with four bookish stars! Special thanks to Caroline Roberts and HarperImpulse for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.










Post a Comment