Book Review: The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US


Title - The Silent Twin
Author - Caroline Mitchell
Publication Date - April 14th 2016
Publisher - Bookouture
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided by publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 322

Blurb
I’m alone in the dark, please can you find me …

Nine-year-old twins Abigail and Olivia vow never to be parted. But when Abigail goes missing from Blackwater Farm, DC Jennifer Knight must find her before it’s too late. 

Twin sister Olivia has been mute since Abigail’s disappearance. But when she whispers in Jennifer’s ear, Jennifer realises it is Abigail’s voice pleading to be found. 

A damp and decaying house set in acres of desolate scrubland, the farm is a place of secrets, old and new – and Jennifer must unravel them all in order to find the lost girl. But could Olivia’s bond with her twin hold the key to finding Abigail? And can Jennifer break through her silence in time to save her sister’s life?

Review
First of all, I'd like to thank Caroline Mitchell and her wonderful publisher Bookouture for providing me with a copy of The Silent Twin in exchange for a fair and honest review. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Being granted access to titles before they're even published never, ever loses its sparkle, and I am so incredibly grateful to Bookouture.

I actually feel quite sentimental as I sit here and think about what I want to type. I suppose I should explain my soppy emotions by telling you that I've been a supporter of Caroline Mitchell right from the very beginning. From the moment she was announced as Bookouture's newest author, I was utterly thrilled, and I couldn't wait to get my paws on each and every one of her novels. Well, Caroline has crossed some pretty epic milestones since then and it's bizarre to think that I'm about to review the third and final novel in her DC Jennifer Knight series. It only seems like yesterday when the first book in the series was announced, and now I'm saying farewell to Jennifer Knight... *sob sob sob* Fingers crossed she makes a reappearance in the future, because I really don't feel quite ready to let go of her bad-ass self just yet.

Despite having read, reviewed and loved the first two books in the DC Jennifer Knight series, Don't Turn Around and Time To Die, I have to say that The Silent Twin topped those in my eyes. That's not to say that they weren't brilliant because they were, but The Silent Twin was absolutely phenomenal and I truly couldn't bear to put this one down. Intertwining the supernatural with crime thriller is utter, utter genius, and I do believe that no one does it better than Caroline Mitchell. Despite having been a firm lover of books for as long as I have, Caroline was the first author I'd came across who combined these two genres so seamlessly and attractively. Having always had a strange fascination with the supernatural, plus not actually reading crime thriller until only recently, Caroline Mitchell opened my eyes to a stunning new mix of genre with a heroine I couldn't have loved more. Suffice to say, I am a major, major fan, and I've a feeling I will continue to be exactly that for as long as this author is writing.

When The Silent Twin was announced by Bookouture and the eerie cover alongside it, my interest was immediately piqued. Quite simply, it looked right up my street. With the ghostly figures, chilling title and foggy, smoky backdrop, it called to me and I couldn't wait to begin. The Silent Twin follows the story of DC Jennifer Knight and the case of missing twin, Abigail. No one knows where she's gone, whether she's alive or dead, and this pretty much sets up the plot for the remainder of the book. It's a race against time, intense and goosebump-inducing, with the time since Abigail went missing titling every chapter or so, only heightening the panic and sense of dread. Last seen on the farm where she and her family live, Blackwater Farm, DC Jennifer Knight has a feeling that the answers she is searching for could be closer to home than she imagined.

Blackwater Farm was such a fitting setting for The Silent Twin to unravel in. Aged, old and creaking, it instilled a fear in me of things hiding in dark places, creeping about in the shadows, and Caroline's descriptions were spot-on. I could see it clear as day in mind. Working under Operation Moonlight (and if you've read any of the other books in this series then you'll know of Jennifer Knight's abilities), she really is the best person to be on the scene. There's talk of strange goings-on within the home. Things moving by themselves, doors slamming etc. and this, coupled alongside a missing child, was almost too much for me to handle. I really don't think Caroline could have created a more chilling place for this story to take place in, and with the spirits that roamed the halls and rooms, it seriously packed a supernatural punch.

With Abigail missing, she leaves behind her twin Olivia. She hasn't spoken a single word since her twin disappeared, and this poses as a problem for Jennifer Knight, although she knows that if she's to crack the case, she has to get Olivia to talk. Not an easy feat. I absolutely loved Caroline's characters within The Silent Twin. From the moment she appeared on the scene, I waited and watched with eagerness and baited breath as the members of Abigail's family stepped forward one by one. They were all so convincing yet suspicious in unique ways. From Nick, their angry father, to Joanna, their strangely upbeat mother... I couldn't wait for Jennifer Knight to get closer to the case, to study each of them that bit more closely to see who was hiding what. It was an intense guessing game, boosted by the anonymous diary entries that cropped up here and there, and my heart was racing ten to the dozen and I progressed further and further into the cold, hard-hitting mystery.

As the novel progressed, I couldn't get through the remainder of the book quick enough. I raced through the pages, heart in my throat, desperate to reach the end to see whether Abigail would be found alive, safe and well. As the back stories to each of the characters involved were revealed to me, everything began to make sense and fell into place. I couldn't believe it, and found myself reeling from the things Jennifer Knight discovered. It was absolutely brilliant, captivating in the most dark and terrifying way, and the author had me wrapped right around her little finger. Mitchell has swiftly become one of my favourite storytellers. I haven't felt let down once by this author. Every plot she produces for her readers is thicker, twistier and darker than the previous, and it's the truth when I say that she continues to get better and better.

All in all, The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell is getting nothing but the highest rating from me. More than that, even. This was everything I hoped it would be and then some. Dark, dangerous, intense, and with a killer plot that held me completely captive, it is my favourite yet from Mitchell. It had everything a thriller needs in order to have that impact on the reader, and boy did it have an impact on me. I can tell you one thing. I'm going to be eagerly anticipating every novel to come from Caroline Mitchell. She took me on a twisting, turning, tick-tocking journey, fast-paced and destructive for all of those involved. I loved it. Five stars from me!





  















Post a Comment