Author Q&A: Bettina Hunt

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be welcoming author Bettina Hunt to the blog for an author Q&A.


First of all, could you introduce yourself to readers? Tell us a little bit about you and the books that you write.
Hello and thanks for having me!
 My name is Bettina, a 30something beauty and afternoon tea blogger and mum of two boys, the littlest is just 7 weeks old! On my blog beautyswot.com I also write poetry and short stories on The Friday Column. One of the short stories I featured inspired my debut novel – A Tempting Trio.
I am now in the process of writing books 2 and 3.

In which genre/genres do you write?
My genre is Chick Lit/ Contemporary Women’s fiction with a firm dose of humour and a twist or two…

Tell us about your most recent book, and where can we find it?
My debut novel is A Tempting Trio which is available to buy as an ebook on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011ZEUQZI

Are there any particular themes which you try to incorporate within your books?
Humour, realism and life/relationship dilemmas.

How do you hope to make readers feel while reading your books?
I want people to identify with characters and situations. I am a huge fan of observational humour and like to think that my writing is observational on life.

If you had to choose three words to describe your most recent book, what would they be?
Food, Travel, Romance

When it comes to creating your characters, are they completely fictional or do you gather ideas from the people you know in real life?
I like to mix it up as it keeps those close to me guessing! I think most of us create characters based on people we might have encountered or real life stories or situations.

How do you choose the settings of your books?
I tend to choose places I have been to or had some experience and knowledge of so that I can be as realistic as possible. I also think that emotions tie into settings and I like to impart that link into my writing.

Have you visited any of the areas which you’ve written about? 
See above

Who are some of your favourite authors?
I absolutely love Charles Dickens, I can totally immerse myself in his books. My all-time favourite book is David Copperfield. Brilliant characters that literally come alive.
When I was studying Law at Uni I read all the John Grisham books.

Do you like to plan strategically, or do you let the characters lead the way?
With ‘A Tempting Trio’ I let the characters speak for themselves and the story evolved with very little planning.  With books 2 and 3 I have found it useful to have a basic plan in place and write around that.

If you could sit down and have lunch with any author, who would you choose and why?
Frederick Forsyth, I want to know who The Jackal was! It was such a clever book.

Is there a particular part of the writing process which you enjoy more than others?
I love coming up with ideas for stories and of course the sense of accomplishment as each chapter is
completed. Writing ‘The End’ is pretty satisfying too…

When it comes to the cover of a book, how important do you feel they are?
I think book covers are crucial in someone choosing a book. I know I have picked up books based purely on the covers in a shop or the library.

How do you keep track of your writing progress? Do you use daily word goals? Do you aim to get a set number of chapters written?
With ‘A Tempting Trio’ I took part in NaNoWriMo which had a handy tracker to tell you how long it would take to finish the book based on you updating it with your word count by day. I enjoyed the challenge. I took part again last November to kick start my second novel. This year my challenge is to complete and release the book before the Summer Holidays start.

Tell us the top three books you’ve read so far in 2016.
I am part of a book group and really enjoyed reading The GoldFinch – it’s quite an epic but the story is complex and completely draws you in.  I am afraid that circumstances have meant that I haven’t had much time to read anything else, so I am glad I got to read a stonking great read.

When did your love of writing first begin to blossom?
My love of writing started as soon as I could read and write. In primary school we had to write a story and read it to the infants and mine was the one that most of them remembered and enjoyed. I didn’t stop coming up with imaginative plots and writing stories after this!

How did you celebrate your most recent publication day?
By letting everyone know the book was available to buy!

What are your thoughts on the book-blogging community?
To be honest I haven’t had much interaction with the book blogging community but I would love to get to know them more and what they do.

Which, if any, other genre would you like to try and write in?
I think I would most like to attempt a psychological drama.

What has been your biggest accomplishment so far in your writing career?
Without doubt completing my first full length novel.

Are you working on anything at the moment? If so, tell us a little bit about it.
I am working on two books – one is on wedding planning and the other is based around school life… watch this space!

What was the best piece of advice you ever received?
Carry a notebook and pen with you – of course you can use the note feature on your phone if necessary.

What do you class as a successful writing day?
Having written anything at all is a successful day – even if it is just notes of things I want to include.

Writing in an apartment in New York City or writing in a cottage in the English countryside?
Oooh actually how about the beachside house in ‘Something’s Gotta Give’ that Diane Keaton writes from – that would be my dream!

Writing with a cup of tea or writing with a cup of coffee?
Either I love both!

Writing with a sandwich or writing with a cupcake?
Can I say neither… I much prefer some decent chocolates from Hotel Chocolat.

Writing with music or writing in silence?
I usually write with some back ground noise. I loathe silence.

Writing outside in the sunshine or writing inside as the snow falls?
Writing is all year round, I get inspiration in all seasons but come Spring you will find me holed up inside avoiding my Hay fever season!

And lastly, if someone told you that they wanted to be a writer, what would you tell them?
Absolutely just go for it, you have nothing to lose.

- About the Author -
Bettina Hunt has been an avid book reader pretty much as soon as she found she could read. With a voracious appetite for the written word, she would walk out of the library reading a book and have finished it by the time she arrived home. 


In Secondary School she was known as the 10/10 girl for the marks she was given for her imaginative stories in English class. 



Still full of imagination, she has been more recently sharing poems and short stories on her website -



'A Tempting Trio' is her first full length novel, a romantic comedy, it is full of her actual interests of food, travel and the perils of multiple dating!



Follow Bettina on twitter for beauty chat & afternoon tea/food reviews - @BeautySwot



Post a Comment