Book Review: Follow You Home by Mark Edwards

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - Follow You Home
Author - Mark Edwards
Publication Date - June 30th 2015
Publisher - Thomas and Mercer
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 402

Blurb
It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime, a final adventure before settling down. But after a perfect start, an encounter with a young couple on a night train forces Daniel and Laura to cut their dream trip short and flee home.

Back in London, Daniel and Laura vow never to talk about what happened that night. But as they try to fit into their old lives again, they realise they are in terrible danger - and that their nightmare is just beginning...

Review
I'd had Follow You Home by Mark Edwards on my forever-growing to-read pile for quite some time before I managed to get round to purchasing and reading. There'd been numerous times that found me browsing the Kindle store, only to stumble upon it again, and become intrigued by the cover, title and blurb. It genuinely got to a point where I couldn't wait any longer. As it so happened, a gap between review reads cropped up, so I of course dived into this one with much enthusiasm. There's something utterly delicious about finally beginning a book you've been dying to read for months, and that feeling overwhelmed me as I began this twisting tale.

In Follow You Home by Mark Edwards, we're introduced to Daniel and Laura who, when the story begins, are in the throes of a travelling adventure across Europe. Once their travelling reaches its end and the couple are back home, they plan to settle down, marry and have children. The pair are truly enjoying life and the beauty of the places that Europe has to offer. When Mark introduces us to Daniel and Laura, they're about to board a train and set off to their next destination, bags at the ready, but things, as quite often happens in life, don't go to plan, and what transpires is a heart-racing, shocking and disturbing story that I really didn't see coming. Things go devastatingly wrong for the couple and rather than setting off for more adventure, Daniel and Laura end up heading in a completely different direction to the one intended, and it's not pretty to say the least.

Written in a way that takes readers back and forth between the present and the past, I was glued to this book and the developments that transpired. It was dark and creepy, with an underlying evilness that I found it impossible to ignore. I'm not sure whether the author intended for his novel to be categorised as horror, but that really is what the first half of this novel felt like to me, and that's no bad thing by the way. It got beneath my skin and had me wondering what on earth I'd ever do if I happened to find myself in the same situation as Mark's characters. In all honesty, I really don't think I would have got as far as they did. Edwards' descriptions were spot-on. Chilling and eerie, I actually thought twice about heading out onto the landing after midnight, for the sheer fact that I was so freaked out. It was brilliant, and if the author intended to spook his readers, he certainly achieved that with me.

Full of twists and turns, moments of truth and uncertainty, and even the questioning of oneself's sanity all come into play within this novel. It was compelling and incredibly difficult to put down, and I couldn't wait to dive back in each time I had the chance to do so. I was dying to see where Mark's characters would end up before the novel reached its end, and was left reeling from the details that were later unearthed to me about what happened after everything had gone so wrong during their travels. The characters, in their uniqueness, piqued my interest greatly. Each of them had experienced their own worst nightmares and it was no wonder none of them had gone home the same person. They'd each been affected in their own ways and those ways were refusing to let go, it seemed. The title is so apt for this book, and I loved that moment of realising why.

All in all, a heart-pounding, shocking and terrifying read. I wasn't quite sure who to trust or what to believe, and the suspense was just perfect for me. I'm incredibly eager to get going with some of Mark's previous books, and can't wait for his next to arrive in September. A dark thrill-ride with a flawless ending. I loved it.

Becca's Books is awarding Follow You Home by Mark Edwards with five of my bookish stars.










Post a Comment