Blog Tour: Book Review - The Little Village Bakery by Tilly Tennant

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be sharing my review of Tilly Tennant's charming new release The Little Village Bakery as part of the blog tour. I'd like to thank Kim from the brilliant Bookouture for asking me to get involved in this blog tour, and Bookouture for providing me with a review copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - The Little Village Bakery
Author - Tilly Tennant
Publication Date - June 15th 2016
Publisher - Bookouture
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 242

Blurb
Meet Millie. Heartbreak has forced her to make a new start and when she arrives at the old bakery in the little village of Honeybourne she is determined that this will be her home sweet home. Her imagination has been captured by the tumbledown bakery but with no running water and dust everywhere, her cosy idea of making cakes in a rural idyll quickly crumbles. 

Luckily the locals are a friendly bunch and step in to help Millie. One in particular, Dylan, a laid-back lothario, soon captures her attention. 

But just as Millie is beginning to settle in, an unexpected visitor from her past suddenly turns up determined to ruin everything for her. It’s time for Millie to face the skeletons in her closet if she’s going to live the dream of running her little village bakery, and her blossoming romance with Dylan.

Review
This is the first book I've had the pleasure of reading by the wonderful Tilly Tennant, and what a pleasure it was! I knew as soon as I saw the gorgeous cover for this book that I'd want to read it. It looked and sounded right up my street and I couldn't wait to begin. With all the talk of delicious cake, an adorable little village, and let's not forget the bakery, it sounded like a sugar-sweet story set in an idyllic location I'd want to visit for myself.

Stepping into Tilly Tennant's world within The Little Village Bakery was an extremely easy thing for me to do. As soon as I began reading, I felt Tennant's charming writing style wash over me and envelope me completely. Thanks to the author's wonderful imagery, the setting of Honeybourne was brought to life beautifully for me. I could picture all of the characters and their homes clearly in my mind, so vividly I could have been strolling down the path right alongside them. It was homely and warm, as if I'd stepped right into a story full of friends and family. Not only this, but the dialogue between the characters was fantastically written. From the heartfelt and the romantic, to the cheeky and a few dollops of banter here and there, there was a whole host of entertaining characters for me to be introduced to, and who I only grew to enjoy more and more as the novel progressed. They made me laugh, they made me smile, but most importantly, each time I put my Kindle down, the characters remained with me, along with their different personalities and unique lifestyles that were so well-developed.

The story itself was one of plenty of surprises. Not only are we introduced to Jasmine and Rich green who are parents to triplets, but to Dylan, Jasmine's brother, and mysterious newcomer Millicent Hopkin too, who is moving into the old bakery hoping to bring some life back into the place as she embarks upon her fresh start. Tennant ensures there a certain air of mystery surrounding Millie pretty much from the moment we meet her, and there are intriguing references to her unknown past peppered throughout the story, which only ever heightened my curiosity in regards to why she'd felt the need to start a new life in the village and, on top of this, what on earth she was so worried/nervous about. Despite having the villagers of Honeybourne introducing themselves to her, Millie remained, in my opinion, as something of a recluse, not really wanting to welcome people into her life, because doing so would bring with it curiosity and questions that she wasn't quite ready to answer. I have to say, I couldn't wait for this secret of Millie's to be revealed and couldn't be sure whether the guesses in my mind as I continued to read were correct or not.

Millie's arrival in Honeybourne isn't only about escaping her past though. Upon arriving in the village, she sets to work, with the help of a few new friends, on getting the bakery up and running as best she can. It was wonderfully uplifting to read about, and I do so love it when a character brings a building back to life with tender love and care. Alongside the bakery and Millie's own personal problems, Tennant also explores marriage and the relationships between husband and wife, as well as sister and brother, in a light-hearted and enjoyable way. Not once did I find myself growing tired of the plot or of where the author led me, and I felt right at home within the picturesque village of Honeybourne as the story unfolded in the prettiest of ways.

All in all, The Little Village Bakery by Tilly Tennant was an uplifting, delicious and comforting read, full of mishaps, mystery and good old village life. I could have happily stepped right into my Kindle while reading and taken a stroll around Honeybourne myself. With such an idyllic setting and such fantastic characters, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and truly believe that Tilly Tennant is an author I'll be keeping a lookout for. I can't wait for Tennant's next release with Bookouture.

Be sure to keep up with the rest of the blog tour!










Post a Comment