Book Review: Watching Edie by Camilla Way

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - Watching Edie
Author - Camilla Way
Publication Date - July 28th 2016
Publisher - HarperCollins
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided by publisher)
Pages - 304

Blurb
There are some friends you'll never forget... no matter how hard you try.

Before: Edie is the friend that Heather has always craved. But one night, it goes terrifyingly wrong. And what started as an innocent friendship ends in two lives being destroyed.

After: Sixteen years later, Edie is still rebuilding her life. But Heather isn't ready to let her forget so easily. It's no coincidence that she shows up when Edie needs her most.

Now: Edie or Heather?
Heather or Edie?

Someone has to pay for what happened, but who will it be?

Review
Oh my word. What a devastatingly creepy and unnerving novel Camilla Way has created in Watching Edie. With enough chill to make my skin crawl and far too many 'well, this is rather strange' moments, this novel crept right beneath my skin and kept me in its frightening clutches for far longer than I felt comfortable with. Deadly dark and pungent with obsession and desperation, I felt as if I'd been locked inside a dark room with no way to escape.

In Camilla Way's Watching Edie, the author introduces us to Edie and Heather. In a compelling structure, the reader is taken back and forth in time as the past is delectably built up and the history behind these two women slowly begins to take shape. I adored how this novel was told. There's nothing more delicious than being taken back in time and reliving a character's past right alongside them as the action takes place. This was achieved excellently by Camilla Way, and held me completely captive right the way through, as more delicious titbits were revealed to me chapter by chapter. The writing was addictive and unsettling, the kind that made me want more but then felt wary about what exactly the author had lined up for me and her characters. With the subtle approach to secrets and truths, it was a novel that ensured I continued to read with relish until the very last page.

The characters within Way's Watching Edie were superbly crafted. I found Heather most interesting and I was keen to get inside her mind and figure out what it was that made her tick. When she arrives back in Edie's life after having spent so much time apart, the atmosphere immediately pinged with danger and I felt my spine straighten. It was clear that Edie had not been expecting this reappearance in her life, and so I was intrigued as to what exactly had pushed these women apart and kept the distance between them for such a long time. A million questions fired up in my mind as I frantically tried to summon up a number of scenarios that would satisfy me as the reader. Every interaction that took place between Edie and Heather sent my mind into overdrive, and I watched them both like a bird watching its prey. I was desperate to spot some sort of clue or hint as to what dark and dismal history lay between them, and couldn't have loved the author more when she began to provide me with the answers. Told in such a captivating way with an air of mystery that surrounded this tale, it was so bloody hard to put this down once I'd started.

As for the plot itself, it took twists and turns that I truly did not see coming. With every chapter I finished, I felt my breathing speeding up as I knew I was edging closer to the final conclusion that would bring the secrets between these two women to light. With tapping fingers and a fidgety posture, I raced towards the end of this book with baited breath, utterly wrapped up in the thrillingly creepy lives I'd found myself in. It was addictive and all-consuming, with a hint of something not quite right that I could never put my finger on and place. I love that in a novel. It keeps you guessing and ensures you're paying attention, which I most definitely was.

All in all, Watching Edie by Camilla Way was a superbly dark and twisted novel, a tale of vengeance, regret and being unable to let go of the past. Disturbing and capable of making you look over your shoulder, it had an effect on me that will last, I'm sure.

Becca's Books is awarding Watching Edie by Camilla Way with five of my bookish cupcakes. I absolutely loved this book and feel so very excited about what the author will provide her readers with next. I'm not sure the level of creepiness can be topped but I'm hoping so! I loved how this author made me feel and would happily read this again, just to feel those shivers running up and down my spine. Special thanks to HarperCollins and Camilla Way for providing me with a review copy of Finding Edie in exchange for a fair and honest review.






Post a Comment