Blog Tour: Book Review - A Suitable Lie by Michael J. Malone

Today on Becca's Books, I'm thrilled to be sharing my book review of the incredible novel that is A Suitable Lie by Michael J. Malone, as part of the blog tour.

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - A Suitable Lie
Author - Michael J. Malone
Publication Date - August 5th 2016
Publisher - Orenda Books
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided by publisher)
Pages - 300

Blurb
Andy Boyd thinks he is the luckiest man alive. Widowed with a young child, after his wife dies in childbirth, he is certain that he will never again experience true love. Then he meets Anna. Feisty, fun and beautiful, she's his perfect match... And she loves his son, too.

When Andy ends up in the hospital on his wedding night, he receives his first clue that Anna is not all that she seems. He ignores it; a dangerous mistake that could cost him everything.

A brave, deeply moving psychological thriller which marks a stunning departure for one of Scotland's top crime writers.


Review
Well, I'm not entirely sure of where to begin with this review of mine. The after-effects of reading this novel are still fizzing through my veins and tightening my throat. It's all so clear and vivid in my mind. The characters. What happened. The overwhelming sense of struggle, of emotions and fear and trying to decide between what's right or wrong. I'm going to try my absolute best to do this book justice, but forgive me if I end up sounding like a complete fool.

In Michael J. Malone's A Suitable Lie, readers are introduced to Andy Boyd. He's a man who's had his fair share of heartbreak, having lost his wife during the birth of his first child Pat and so, he's unsure whether he'll ever be lucky enough to find that special kind of love once more. But then Anna arrives in his life, and Andy is knocked sideways by such a wonderful woman. She seems to have it all. The beauty. The personality. The ability to bond with his son who happens to love her just as much as Andy does. He can hardly believe his luck. Their relationship progresses in the natural way, leading ultimately to marriage, but also to the discovery of Anna's true self, and the consequences this brings with it.

 And what terrifying consequences they are. I had no idea what I was in for when I started reading this book. I had a vague idea but that was all. I was hooked from the moment I began, knowing immediately that something was amiss. There was a subtle threat in the tone of this book. Something lingering just beneath the surface as the story of Andy and Anna unravelled. It was dark and dangerous, poisonous even, and I really wasn't sure of how I felt as I continued turning the pages, falling deeper and deeper beneath Malone's written spell. On I went, growing more tense with every new chapter, just waiting for the moment when something else would happen. And happen it did.

What I loved most about this novel was how it has you questioning your views on certain topics. Has you wondering just how you'll ever know what goes on behind closed doors. Because you don't know. Not really. No matter how well you think you know a person, they're still capable of keeping a whole different persona hidden from the outside world. It was shocking and heart-breaking, raw and real, and so, so sad at times, I definitely shed a tear for Andy and everything he goes through, as well as his boys.

Overall, this was such a striking novel that hit me right where it hurt. Malone's style is divine, drawing you in and holding you tightly within its grasp. I was hooked from page one and couldn't wait to see how this story would end. It was addictive storytelling, with a lesson right at its heart. Don't judge. Don't assume. Don't think you know the truth.

Becca's Books is awarding A Suitable Lie by Michael J. Malone with five of my bookish cupcakes. What an absolute masterpiece.


About the author
Michael Malone was born and brought up in the heart of Burns' country, just a stone's throw from the great man's cottage in Ayr. Well, a stone thrown by a catapult, maybe.

He has published over 200 poems in literary magazines throughout the UK, including New Writing Scotland, Poetry Scotland and Markings. His career as a poet has also included a (very) brief stint as the Poet-In-Residence for an adult gift shop. Don't ask.

BLOOD TEARS, his debut novel won the Pitlochry Prize (judge:Alex Gray) from the Scottish Association of Writers and when it was published he added a "J" to his name to differentiate it from the work of his talented U.S. namesake.

You can find Michael J. Malone on Facebook | Twitter

1 comment :

  1. Wow - what a thoughtful review! Thank you for spreading the word, Becca - it is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete