Blog Tour: Book Review - They All Fall Down by Cat Hogan

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be sharing my review of Cat Hogan's gripping novel They All Fall Down, as part of the blog tour.

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - They All Fall Down
Author - Cat Hogan
Publication Date - July 1st 2016
Publisher - Poolbeg Press
Format - Paperback (Provided by author)
Pages - 341

Blurb
Ring-a-ring o' rosie...
... Someone wants to play.
... Who's not playing the game?
... Now Someone must pay.

Jen Harper likes to play it safe. She is settling into life on the outskirts of a sleepy fishing village with her little boy, Danny. Life by the sea - just how she wanted it.

When she meets Andy, she feels the time has come to put her baggage and the scars of the past behind her. Then she is introduced to Scott, Andy's best friend, and is stung by his obvious disdain for her. Why is Scott so protective of his best friend? What is the dark secret that threatens all of them?

In her attempt to find answers, Jen must confront her demons and push her relationships to their limits. By digging up the past, she puts Danny and herself in danger. Will she succeed in uncovering the truth before they all fall down?

Review
When I first spotted They All Fall Down by Cat Hogan doing the rounds on Twitter, I was immediately grabbed by the cover and title. It had a certain sense of danger to it that I simply couldn't resist, so it came as quite a delightful surprise when the author contacted me in regards to reading and reviewing her novel, as well taking part in the blog tour. I couldn't say yes quick enough and, when the book arrived, I dived in straight away, eager to find out what Hogan had in store for me. I thought the blurb sounded fantastic and I loved the cover too.

In Cat Hogan's They All Fall Down, we're introduced to Jen and Danny Harper, who've just moved into the home which Jen has inherited from her Auntie Pat. Keen to get back on track with life and ensure her son has everything he needs, Jen is certain that this is the right choice for them both. Set in a sleepy fishing village in Ireland, there was a real essence of place within this novel and the author's wonderfully descriptive style allowed me to visualise it easily. Unfortunately for Jen, her new home comes complete with lodger Andy who, Jen doesn't fail to notice, is quite the dish, although he's suffered tragedy of the most heart-breaking kind in the past and it surely shows in his personality and character. Alongside Andy is his best friend Scott who, for some odd reason, can't seem to stand Jen and all that she could possibly represent for his best friend. From the initial meeting between these characters right the way through to the very end, Hogan displays perfectly the peeling back of layers to reveal the truth beneath which isn't always pretty...

One thing I loved about this novel was the mystery behind the characters that I couldn't wait to be revealed later on. From the moment I met Scott, I felt that something wasn't quite right and waited eagerly for the moment when all would be revealed to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the family dynamics between Jen and her son Danny, even more so when Andy began to grow close to the family too. It was an enjoyable process to see Jen get used to her new life in the village and more than anything, I truly hoped that things would go swimmingly for her. As is often the case though, swimmingly isn't how I'd choose to describe this novel now that I've finished, but it only made me enjoy it all the more.

There were moments of darkness that left me questioning everything I thought I knew about the characters, coupled with moments of truth that had me reeling. Hogan took me on a twisting, winding journey within this novel and it was addictive to say the least. Fast-paced, edgy and sharp, I couldn't wait to see what would be waiting for me in every chapter ahead, and I devoured them greedily, desperate to reach the end. Hogan's characters were exciting to learn more about and I really felt a closeness with Jen, loving her nature completely.

All in all, They All Fall Down by Cat Hogan was a fantastic psychological thriller with plenty of characters and circumstances to sink your teeth into. The Irish author is definitely one to keep an eye on, for sure. I'm excited to see what Cat Hogan has in store for her readers next! I hope we don't have too long to wait. Becca's Books is awarding They All Fall Down by Cat Hogan with four of my bookish cupcakes! A truly brilliant debut novel.


About the author
Cat Hogan was born into a home of bookworms and within spitting distance of the sea. Her father, Pat, a lightship man, instilled in her a love of the sea and the stars. Her mother, Mag, taught her how to read before she could walk.
Writing, storytelling and a wild imagination is part of her DNA.

The beautiful County Wexford, Ireland is home to Cat, her musician partner Dave, two beautiful sons Joey and Arthur, and her tomcat Jim Hawkins. There they live a life of storytelling, song and adventure. The other love of Cat’s life is food. A self-professed foodie, there is nothing she loves more than feeding a houseful of friends round her kitchen table.

When she is not conjuring up imaginary friends, she can be found supporting local musicians and writers of which there is an abundance in her home town. One of her first endorsements for her novel is also her favourite and comes from fellow Wexfordian of Artemis Fowl fame.

You can find Cat Hogan on Facebook | Twitter

Post a Comment