Blog Tour: Book Review - The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse

Happy Thursday, gorgeous book folk! How're you all? Doing well, I hope!

Today on Becca's Books, I'm completely over the moon to have the honour of kicking off the blog tour for Amanda Prowse's brand-new novel, The Food of Love, which is released TODAY! I cannot tell you how excited I was when I was contacted about taking part in this. Even after having only read a few books by this incredible author, it's safe to say that already I am a huge fan. Without further ado, let me tell you why I loved The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse.

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - The Food of Love
Author - Amanda Prowse
Publication Date - 1st December 2016
Publisher - Lake Union Publishing
Format - Paperback (Provided by author)
Pages - 364

Blurb
A loving mother. A perfect family. A shock wave that could shatter everything.

Freya Braithwaite knows she is lucky. Nineteen years of marriage to a man who still warms her soul and two beautiful teenage daughters to show for it: confident Charlotte and thoughtful Lexi. Her home is filled with love and laughter.

But when Lexi's struggles with weight take control of her life, everything Freya once took for granted falls apart, leaving the whole family with a sense of helplessness that can only be confronted with understanding, unity and, above all, love.

In this compelling and heart-wrenching new work by bestselling author Amanda Prowse, one ordinary family tackles unexpected difficulties and discovers that love can find its way through life's darkest moments.

Review
In this brand-new raw, emotional and powerful novel by the incredible Amanda Prowse, readers are invited into the story unfolding on the pages and are witness to the fallout of what it's like when an eating disorder rears its head within a close-knit and loving family, seemingly out of nowhere.

In Prowse's The Food of Love, we're introduced to the Braithwaite family. There's Freya, the loving, caring and kind mother. There's Lockie, Freya's wonderful husband and father to their two teenage girls, and then there's Charlotte and Lexi. At first glance, this family are just like any other. Busy with work and school, but still managing to find the time to care and nurture for their family. They have laughs and cuddles, and it's fair to say that the marriage between Freya and Lockie is still going strong, even after all of these years. They're both head over heels in love with each other, which of course radiates over the rest of the family. Freya is undeniably happy with her lot in life, and who can blame her? She's got everything that she ever hoped for and more. But of course, things are never as perfect as they appear to be on the surface...

As always, with Amanda Prowse's novels, the subjects that the author writes about are handled with the upmost respect. It's clear that this author does her research in order to get the facts spot on, and that was definitely the case in The Food of Love. When Freya discovers what has been going on with her daughter, she is shocked to her very core and, I suppose in a small way, in a tiny bit of denial. This is her family. She's done her absolute best to take care of them all and ensure that something like this can never happen. It's the kind of thing that people think never happens to them until it does, and so it's understandable, and Prowse manages to get the emotions that Freya feels absolutely spot on, as well as the emotions from the rest of the family.

This novel isn't only about anorexia. Prowse focuses and zooms in on the devastating and heart-breaking effects that this horrible illness has on the families of those that it affects, and the separate relationships within those families. I'm not ashamed to say that as the fight began and the family all stood tall at Lexi's side, I certainly shed a few tears. You just can't imagine being in their shoes, yet Amanda delivers it excellently, with no dramatics, nothing but the hard truth which makes reading it all the more powerful and memorable. It certainly sticks with you and stays in your mind for a long time after you've finished and closed the book and that, in my opinion, is a signifier of a superb novel.

Once again, Prowse has knocked my socks off with her latest novel The Food of Love. I'm not sure I've read an author quite like this one, and I know that with each book announcement, my love for her writing is only going to increase. This was absolutely superb, with so much heart, warmth, and a whole lot of love. The characters were utterly real to me and their lives felt so incredibly important to me as the reader. I was concerned for them all, that's for sure, and truly hoped for nothing but the best for them. Moving on a whole new level, and educational too, this is a must-read from Amanda Prowse. Just be sure to have those tissues at hand, and a loved one's hand to squeeze.

Becca's Books is awarding The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse with five of my bookish cupcakes. Prowse's novels only seem to be getting better and better. Not only does she write a fantastic story, but her love for writing itself positively shines through from the pages, heightening my own enjoyment even more.

Be sure to keep up with the rest of the blog tour!

1 comment :

  1. I loved this book, yet another powerful novel and like you said Becca I can't get the story out of my head. There were times though when I wanted to shout at Freya when she honestly thought she could get Lexie better by being at home, I just knew as soon as it was agreed that Lexie could come home I thought noooo she needs special care and discipline from the experts. But then again I could also see how Freya just wanted her family back together again just like it used to be, when in fact the family unit was falling apart. I felt so sorry for Charllotte being forgotten about, but she never really complained, well not as much as she could of done. She loved her sister. At the end of the book I honestly thought that Lexie wasn't going to come back from this torturous illness that is Anorexia my heart and stomach were so tense. Thank goodness for the epilogue. Amanda you got me hooked again just like I was addicted to Poppy Day's life and tribulations. Fantastic yet again xx

    ReplyDelete