Blog Tour: Book Review - Witness by Caroline Mitchell

Today on Becca's Books, I'm absolutely thrilled to be sharing my review of Caroline Mitchell's thrilling new novel Witness.

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - Witness
Author - Caroline Mitchell
Publisher - Thomas & Mercer
Publication Date - December 20th 2016
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided by publisher via NetGalley)
Pages - 338

Blurb
To Rebecca it was a brave decision that led to her freedom from domestic abuse. To Solomon it was the ultimate betrayal.

It's been ten years since Rebecca's testimony saw Solomon locked away. Enough time for the nightmares to recede, the nerves to relax; enough time to rebuild her life and put the past behind her.

Then one day the phone rings in her bedroom - but it's not her phone. Solomon has been in her home, and has a very simple message for her: for each of the ten years he has spent in jail, Rebecca must witness a crime. And, to make matters worse, she has to choose the victims.

Fail to respond and you get hurt. Talk to the police and you die. Ready to play? You have sixty seconds to decide...

As the crimes grow more severe, the victims closer to home, Rebecca is forced to confront a past she had hoped was gone forever.

Review
Blimey. You know when you're reading a brilliantly gripping book and the world around you just seems to fade out? Well, that's certainly the case with Mitchell's brand new release with Thomas and Mercer, Witness. Dark, dangerous and undeniably exciting, this novel held me captive from beginning to end, taking me on a ride that left me feeling completely breathless when it reached its end. Mitchell's superb skills, when it comes to creating the perfect atmosphere, were spot on as always. Like a sticky and unescapably spider's web, I was drawn in and, once there, unable to escape from the world Mitchell created within the pages. It was addictive to say the least.

In Caroline Mitchell's Witness, readers are introduced to Rebecca. With a shocking prologue to begin Rebecca's tale, I couldn't believe how soon the action came about, and it's fair to say that the prologue helped to set the tone for the remainder of the novel. It was gruesome and tragic, but clear to me that this would pave the rest of Rebecca's journey within the story. It was impossible to ignore the sense of foreboding that swept through the writing, of something far more fearful to come, and that spurred me on even more.

One thing I utterly adored about this novel, and something that ramped my eagerness up a further two notches or three, was the swapping and changing of character with every couple of chapters. Not only do we read from Rebecca's point of view, but also Solomon's too. After a stint in prison, he's back and after revenge, with a teasing and taunting game up his sleeve that nothing will stop him from playing. Solomon is clever and nasty and all of those things that Rebecca was desperate to get away from all those years before, so when he's back in the picture and on the hunt, I couldn't turn the pages quick enough in order to see how it would all play out. It had my heart rate speeding up, no doubt about it, and the characters were just superb. An added bonus were the diary entries peppered throughout the story, allowing me an insight into a time already passed. It was deliciously intoxicating to read, and truly got beneath my skin. Rebecca's fears were stuck firmly in my mind even when I was away from this book. She was such a vivid and bold character, Solomon too, bringing this story completely to life.

Overall, Witness by Caroline Mitchell is an exciting new novel by an incredibly talented author who only seems to be rising higher in my opinion. Her writing is sharp and precise and her characters always so believable. Witness had it all, in my opinion. I really couldn't fault a single thing about this story, and cannot wait to read more from Mitchell. She's an author who I'll always be looking forward to, no matter how short a time ago I finished her last book. Becca's Books is awarding Witness by Caroline Mitchell with five of my bookish cupcakes. I absolutely LOVED IT.


Be sure to keep up with the rest of the #Witness blog tour!

Post a Comment