Book Review: The One by John Marrs

Available on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Title - The One
Author - John Marrs
Publication Date - January 26th 2017
Publisher - Ebury Digital
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 368

The Blurb
How far would you go to find THE ONE?

One simple mouth swab is all it takes.

One tiny DNA test to find your perfect partner - the one you're genetically made for.

A decade after scientists discover everyone has a gene they share with just one person, millions have taken the test, desperate to find true love.

Now, five more people take the test. But even soul mates have secrets. And some are more shocking - and deadlier - than others...

A psychological thriller with a difference, this is a truly unique novel which is guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Review
The One by John Marrs is a novel set apart from the rest in its psychological thriller genre. Focusing on today's digitally-ruled society, it captures the danger of a world in which people choose to share every tiny detail about themselves and the lives that they live, leading to consequences they couldn't have imagined. Exciting, addictive, and enticing, The One is superbly plotted with shocking surprises around every corner, and characters whose lives you instantly become involved in. The circumstances which arise for these characters only suck you into the novel more and it becomes impossible to put the book down once you get started on their individual journeys towards what they hope will be true love. It's safe to say that I completely devoured this book. I couldn't get enough, and I felt that it resonated so entirely correctly with today's way of life, especially when it comes to dating. It's a clever novel, one which provokes many ideas and thoughts throughout, and it really makes you wonder, 'just how safe are we?'.

In The One, the world has taken a huge leap forward in terms of love, romance and relationships. No longer are people left to search for their soul-mates alone. Oh no! Scientists have discovered a gene which genetically links people together, resulting in happy, secure relationships benefiting the couple in more ways than one. For those already in happy and secure relationships, the temptation to see their match is often too much to ignore, resulting in breakdowns and divorces worldwide. But hey, if it's all in aid of finally being with your one true love, then what's the problem, right?

Marr's introduces readers to a small and select group of characters whose separate journeys we follow throughout the novel. From Mandy and Ellie, to Christopher and Nick, these characters are all in completely unique situations with the results from their DNA matching scattering them in different directions. I have to admit that at first, I found it rather tricky trying to get these characters separated in my mind, but with the snippy sized chapters it became easy and thoroughly enjoyable to do so, and it wasn't long before I felt as if I knew each of them inside out.

As I mentioned above, there was always something to look forward to with every new chapter. Marrs always seemed to finish his chapters with something deliciously teasing, leaving me desperate to find out what happened next. I raced through the pages and found myself feeling breathless at times because it was just so damn exciting. There were shocks and surprises aplenty, most of which I had no idea were coming, and so many twists and turns, it was exhilarating. People who I didn't suspect capable of turning this novel on its head did exactly that, and when the final truth was eventually revealed, I was left with a feeling of disbelief heavy in my chest. Marrs took me on such a thrilling and intoxicating journey throughout The One, and already I cannot wait to see what the author has in store for his readers next.

Becca's Books is awarding The One by John Marrs with five of my bookish cupcakes. A novel so fitting in today's society. It really makes you think hard about what life would be like if something like this actually happened. I spent a lot of time after I'd finished just sitting back and thinking, and I truly love it when a novel does that to you.

Post a Comment