Q&A with Nicola May, author of Love Me Tinder.


Cali Summers decides that the only way to get over her broken marriage is to hit the world of fast love on a dating app.

Using room 102 in the hotel where she works as her dating 'lair', she quickly discovers that passion and excitement are mixed with danger, lies and deception.

What a charming F1 engineer, a handsome army officer and her adulterous ex all on the scene, a predictable love match is far from on the cards.

Will she choose dull security or risky freedom? Join Cali on her dating adventures and see if a modern Cyber Cupid's arrow is still on aim.








Today on Hummingbird Reviews, I'm thrilled to be joined by author of Love Me Tinder, Nicola May. Nicola kindly agreed to take part in my author Q&A and I'm very excited to share her answers here with you guys. So grab yourselves a cuppa, sit back and enjoy!
Please introduce yourself. Where are you from? What do you do? And what's your shoe size?
I'm Nicola May, from Ascot in Berkshire. I'm a size 6 shoe wearing author of eight romantic comedy novels, which I like to label 'chicklit with a kick'.

When was your last book published and what is it called?
Love Me Tinder was published on Valentine's Day.

How do you hope readers will feel while reading it?
As with all my books I expect the readers to experience a gamut of emotions from happiness, sadness, amazement, hope and excitement.

If you were to describe this book in the same way you'd describe the weather, what would you say?
Hot, hot, hot with an undertone of grey cloud, disappearing to produce a beautiful rainbow.

When did you begin writing? What was your first book about?

I began writing 20 years ago. My first novel, Working it Out, was about a woman, whom finding herself unexpectedly jobless, decides to try 12 jobs in 12 months to find the one of her dreams.

Did you/do you have any goals for your writing?
I have 2 aspirations. To get a book in the bestseller section of the Culture Magazine in The Sunday Times, plus win the Romantic Novel of the Year Award which is announced annually by the wonderful Romantic Novelists Association.

Which authors inspire you?
Milly Johnson, Carole Matthews, Patrick Gail.

Describe your writing style in three words.
Rapid, heartfelt and engaging.

What themes do you usually focus on within your writing? Is it different with each book?
I write a different theme for each book. I have dealt with some quite tricky subjects, but deal with them in, I hope, a comedic and compassionate way. Subjects have ranged from infertility, miscarriage, bereavement, redundancy, domestic abuse and Better Together focuses on an older woman, younger man relationship. I write from the heart as have experienced quite a few of the above.

Once you've an idea firmly in place, what is the next step for you?
Once I have the main idea in place, I'm not much of a planner. I get an idea for my heroine, start typing the first character and see where she leads me.

Do you have a favourite part of the writing process?
Yes, typing The End!

Are there any techniques/methods you use when it comes to plotting?
I aim to shock at the end of each chapter so the reader wants to turn the page.

Have you ever come face to face with writer's block? If so, how did you overcome it?
Once I start writing I'm usually fine. My stumbling point is actually putting pen to paper to get started on a new book. I procrastinate as once I start I know my life will be fully consumed until the book is finished.

Where do you find inspiration?
I have had a lot of life experiences so draw from those.

What does a typical day in your life look like?
Even 8 books in, I still have to work. In the real world I am an Events Manager. But, on a typical writing day, I literally wake up, have breakfast and just write. I can write for hours on end, sometimes even forgetting lunch.

What part of the writing process do you find most difficult?
Going back and doing the first edit.

How do you come up with your titles?
Hmm, titles, titles. The hardest and most important part of a book. I brainstorm with friends usually and now of course I have a publisher they make suggestions. I am thinking of changing the title of The SW19 club as it doesn't say what the book is about, which is infertility and loss. Love Me Tinder is my favourite ever title as it does what it says on the tin.

When it comes to creating your characters, what is the first step you take?
There is a little bit of me in all of my heroines. I’m not very formulaic, I don’t write anything down. I imagine what they look like in my head and then work on their idiosyncrasies and develop them as I write. Friends and people I have met along the way have played a part as I take bits of them and muddle them up.

Have you ever taken a research trip? If so, where did you go, and for which book?
No. But I have travelled a fair bit so my characters have visited countries and places I have frequented and I can write with knowledge about them.

Do you set yourself word-count goals?
I have a massive word count goal of 5000 words a day when I get going. But if I do 2-3000 I'm happy.

What is your definition of 'success'?
Not having to work a day job and be able to write every day.

What is your definition of 'happiness'?
Feeling calm in my 'self' and filling my life with people I love.

Which do you find the hardest? The beginning or the end?
Ooh, that's actually hard to answer as I sometimes struggle with both.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received?
Stephen King actually wrote that you shouldn't ever edit as you go along, it's great advice.

What one piece of advice would you pass on to another writer?
If you have the talent, never give up.

Tell us an author who is on your auto-buy list.
Patrick Gail.

If you were to write in an entirely new genre, which would you choose and why?
Crime. I like the idea of writing dark character and intrigue.

What are you working on at the moment?
I'm procrastinating at the moment as I'm busy promoting Love Me Tinder. Plan is to take the whole of April off and write a new one. I have a few ideas spinning around at the moment.

Now for some quick-fire questions:
Coffee or tea? Tea.
Summer or winter? Summer.
Bath or shower? Bath.
Sweet or savoury? Sweet.
Holiday in the city or in the countryside? Countryside.
Text or call? Call.
Facebook or Twitter? Twitter.
Sunrise or sunset? Sunrise.
TV programmes or movies? TV.
Wine or beer? Wine.
Cats or dogs? Cats.
Chinese or Indian food? Indian.
Pasta or cheese? Cheese.

About the author.

Nicola May is a bestselling author of 8 successful romantic comedy novels. Her quirky sense of humour and ability to deal with real life issues in a comedic way has won her a steady fan base worldwide. Her novel Love Me Tinder is available now to download and in paperback.

You can find Nicola May on Twitter & nicolamay.com.
You can find Love Me Tinder on Amazon UK.