Blog Tour: Diane Jeffrey on The Dual Timeline in HQ Digital UK debut Those Who Lie.


Emily Klein doesn't know she has killed her husband until the day of his funeral.

At first, signs point to a tragic accident. Yet, as Emily pieces together the events before his death - events which led to her own memory loss - she begins to suspect that her husband's death may have been the result of more than a terrible twist of fate...

But the accident is only the beginning. Because while Emily's physical scars will heal, the trauma of the accident has awakened old ghosts. She hears strange sounds, catches things that can't possibly be there in the corner of her eye. Before long, everywhere she looks, she seems to see her husband.

And suddenly, Emily finds herself asking the most dangerous question of all.

Can she really trust herself?




Today on Hummingbird Reviews, I am delighted to be taking part in the blog tour for Diane Jeffrey's thrilling debut with HQ Digital UK, Those Who Lie, organised by the wonderful Jenny over at Neverland Blog Tours. As part of my stop on this tour, I will be sharing a fantastic guest post from Diane Jeffrey, in which she talks about the dual timeline she has created within her novel Those Who Lie and why she chose to write this story in that way. So grab yourselves a cuppa, sit back, relax & enjoy!
'The Dual Timeline in Those Who Lie' by Diane Jeffrey.

In Those Who Lie, chapters from the past alternate with present day chapters. I used the point of view of Emily, the main character, throughout the novel to help weave the narratives together as seamlessly as possible.

It was difficult writing with two chronologies, but Emily is a complex character and not always likeable, and I felt from the start that it was important to flesh out her backstory and describe the trauma she went through as a child so that my readers would understand her way of thinking and her decisions in the present day story. Without a detailed account of some of the terrible things that happened to her, I felt that my readers would not empathise enough with Emily or root for her.

The timelines are not equal - some of the past chapters are very short - and the main story is undoubtedly the present day one. Indeed, in Part Two, Emily's past has caught up with her and there are no more flashbacks. This enabled me to speed up the action towards the denouement.

I told both the flashbacks and the main action chronologically in my novel, although the earlier events are more like snapshots, taking place from 1995 until they catch up with the present in 2014 - 2015. I wanted scenes from Emily's childhood and early marriage to shed some light on some of the questions raised in the main plot. I also needed these chapters to plant suspicion in my readers' heads about the agenda of some of the secondary characters as well as cast doubt on Emily's reliability.

I am a plotter rather than a pantser, although I did revise and modify a lot of what I'd planned as I went along. But it meant that I was able to write the book more or less in order: one present chapter, one past chapter, etc. I wanted to have some sort of a transition each time, even if it was just a sentence that echoed the previous chapter or foreshadowed the next one. I also needed to make sure my clues and red herrings were cropped up at the right moment, and writing the chapters in order seemed the best way of doing that.

It was definitely a challenge trying to interweave past and present events, but I enjoyed it. I hope that by painting Emily's backstory vividly I've shown what makes her who she is today. I also think that this method helped me to ratchet up the tension and add to the suspense of the novel.

At the moment, I'm reading my third novel by Kate Morton. This author is clearly a genius at dual timelines and any writer contemplating juggling two chronologies would do well to take a leaf out of her book!


About the author.
Diane Jeffrey grew up in North Devon. She lives in Lyon, France with her husband and their three children, Labrador and kitten.

Those Who Lie is her debut psychological thriller.

Diane is an English teacher. When she's not working or writing, she likes swimming, running and reading. She loves chocolate, beer and holidays. Above all, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends.

You can find Diane Jeffrey on Twitter.
You can purchase your copy of Those Who Lie here.

Post a Comment