Book Review: One Last Wish by Ella Harper



How would you cope if your child became terminally ill?

Rosie and Nate had the perfect relationship. But they struggled to cope with the devastating news that their daughter Emmie has incurable cancer. It feel likes their world - and their relationship - has come crashing down.

They must do everything to support their little girl, but can they stop their marriage falling apart?

Unbeknownst to her parents, Emmie is on a mission. She is determined to make them see what brought them together in the first place - and make them fall in love all over again.





I love a book that has you totally invested in the characters and their lives, and 'One Last Wish' by Ella Harper is a book that achieves that perfectly. 'One Last Wish' focuses on Rosie, Nate, and their daughter, Emmie, who has been diagnosed with incurable cancer. Emmie knows that she is going to die and she has accepted that, even if those who love her are finding it impossible to do the same. But what Emmie will not accept is the thought of her parents, who were once so hopelessly in love with each other, becoming separated. In the deep recesses of her mind, Emmie blames herself and her diagnosis for the cracks that are becoming deeper and larger in her parents' relationship. And she wants to make it right. Along with the help of her counsellor, Dr Tom, Emmie decides that it is time to take action if the two most important people in her life are ever going to be happy again. So take action is exactly what Emmie does...

The first thing that struck me as I began to read 'One Last Wish' was how absolutely stunning Ella Harper's emotive descriptions were. How the author described certain situations to me throughout the book completely took my breath away and left my resolve crumbling as I gulped back the sobs. It was just pure, pure gold. Harper absolutely knows how to tug at her readers' heartstrings and that is exactly what she did with this novel. Not only was it emotional, but even despite the topics addressed, there was a certain light-heartedness to it that filled me with a sense of hope. Perhaps it was Emmie's outlook on life? How eager she was to fix the holes in her parents' relationship? Most probably it was both of those things. Emmie's courage reduced me to a snivelling wreck and as the story progressed, I could feel myself becoming more attached to the girl, because she was just so completely lovable and a character capable of inspiring any reader.

I thought it was beautiful, how Ella Harper took her readers back and forth between the past and the present. From chapter to chapter, the author showed how Rosie and Nate's relationship had gradually begun to change over time, and it was absolutely heart-breaking to witness. What gave me hope though, was knowing that love did remain, beneath the surface of worries and troubles over their shared love in life, their daughter. It just needed to be dug out, found again, it needed to resurface and take over all of the other things that were going on in the couples' lives.

From the very first page, I was hooked to 'One Last Wish' by Ella Harper. Ella Harper wrapped me up completely in Emmie, Rosie and Nate's world and my concern for the three of them completely took over. I felt the same dread as Rosie and Nate, that the phone would ring any second and announce that the worst had taken place. But the moments of joy, peppered here and there, the tiniest of things, took over the dread and filled me with something else entirely.

'One Last Wish' by Ella Harper is a highly-emotive, sob-inducing tale of love, family, parenthood and finding the courage to be strong when you need it most. I adored the characters and even now, I am still thinking about them. I was completely immersed within their story and felt as if I'd lost a few good friends by the time this tale reached its end. Ella Harper is an author who writes purely from the heart and it shines through in her writing. This was the first book I have read by this author, and it certainly won't be the last, I can assure you.

Hummingbird Reviews is awarding 'One Last Wish' by Ella Harper with five out of five stars. You'll need a box of tissues and a hand to hold while reading this one. Thank you to the publisher for my review copy of this book.

You can find Ella Harper on Twitter.
You can purchase your copy of One Last Wish here.