Book Review: Sunrise at Butterfly Cove by Sarah Bennett



A year of taking chances…

After a nightmare year, Mia Sutherland is hoping for a fresh start! She’s putting the past behind her and pouring all her savings into renovating a crumbling guesthouse in peaceful Butterfly Cove. Nothing will distract her from achieving her dreams!
That is, until her very first guest, Daniel Fitzwilliam arrives – quite possibly, the most gorgeous man she’s ever seen. He’s only here for a week, but already Daniel has turned her world upside-down. And as the tide turns, it’s clear that Butterfly Cove has more than one surprise in store for Mia…

Look out for Wedding Bells at Butterfly Cove, the second book in the enchanting Butterfly Cove trilogy.





If novels written from the heart, drenched with love and warmth, are your 'thing', then Sunrise at Butterfly Cove by Sarah Bennett will be right up your street. I fell head over heels in love with the cover the very second it was revealed over on Twitter, and I could not wait for the chance to slip between the pages in order to see what Sarah Bennett had in store for her readers. Now that I'm back on solid ground after twirling my way through this deliciously sweet and cosy tale, I'm pleased to announce that it is just as idyllic as the cover would suggest, only with just the right amount of ups and downs peppered along the way for our lovely Mia. Because what's life without a few lemons thrown in for good measure?

In Sarah Bennett's Sunrise at Butterfly Cove, we're introduced to Mia Sutherland. Life has not been easy for Mia. Not. At. All. In fact, for Mia, life has been downright horrid and she isn't quite sure she's a people person anymore. It feels much safer, much easier for Mia to keep herself locked away and out of sight, besides those few friends who she knows she can trust not to let her down. About to dive headfirst into the renovations of her guesthouse in the absolutely glorious setting of Butterfly Cove, Mia has got plenty to keep her occupied as she continues to lick her wounds and heal from the blows she has dealt with so far. All is set to go to plan, that is until dreamy Daniel turns up and throws Mia's quiet and safe life up into air, leaving her not quite sure of how to handle this new situation.

Sarah Bennett's writing style is one that I could never, ever tire of. Her descriptions of Butterfly Cove summoned up images of a fairy-tale like setting in my mind. I could imagine perfectly the sea visible from the guesthouse, and even the guesthouse itself, crying out for a little TLC, in some ways just like Mia. Alongside Bennett's ability to bring the place to life on the page in the most gorgeous of ways, I'd really like to mention that the food descriptions were something else too. I imagined in my mind sitting on one of the kitchen chairs with my knees tucked against my chest, tucking into a bowl of Mia's hearty chicken broth with a doorstop-sized slice of bread for dipping purposes. Oh, it was heavenly, and the author managed to take me right there thanks to her attention to detail, including everything from the smell to the touch. Butterfly Cove utterly charmed me from the moment I stepped into this wonderfully warm and touching tale, and already I can't wait to revisit when the next instalment arrives in July.

Sarah Bennett's characters within Sunrise at Butterfly Cove were far from perfect and this only made them seem all the more real and authentic in my opinion. Mia's family was a bit of a puzzle to be solved, especially where her sisters were concerned, and I really enjoyed reading about Mia's childhood alongside them, realising that her history had turned her into the woman that she was today, as well as the other tragedies she had dealt with. She seemed genuine to me, a bit nervous when it came to meeting new people but things seem different with Daniel, and as soon as he made an appearance in the plot, I knew that things were about to get interesting. The chemistry between the two was absolutely spot-on, and I adored how this bond that grew between them continued to progress as I turned the chapters and continued further with the story. The themes of family, friendship and romance were tenderly treaded upon and it was impossible not to feel all glowy and warm inside when Mia began to realise that life wasn't so bad after all, if Daniel was beside her.

Throughout this novel, I found myself delighting in every new face that I met. I wished myself to be in Butterfly Cove alongside the characters throughout the ups and downs. It was a splendidly written story covering everything from loss and love to sisters, and the tricky bonds that some find themselves trying to untangle when it comes to their parents. As the guesthouse began to take shape and resurface from beneath the grime and dust, I couldn't help comparing it to Mia and how Daniel had helped her to realise that life goes on, and so do we.

Suffice to say, I loved my time spent at Butterfly Cove and I will not be hesitating when the chance to visit again in the very near future crops up. Sunrise at Butterfly Cove was a beautifully told tale, sprinkled with a certain sense of magic that had me eager for more. The characters were lovely, the setting was incredibly desirable, and Sarah Bennett knows just how to make her reader feel right at home. Hummingbird Reviews is awarding Sunrise at Butterfly Cove by Sarah Bennett with four out of five stars. I really cannot wait to head back to this heavenly setting in July, for a wedding, no less! It can't arrive quick enough in my opinion. With thanks to the publisher for my review copy of this book.

You can find Sarah Bennett on Twitter.
You can purchase your copy of Sunrise at Butterfly Cove here.

Post a Comment